UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Does BJ Penn have the worst cornermen in MMA?

12/9/12 8:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RKing85
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hammer House guys have the title of "Worst CornerMen of the year" locked up for another 100 years still.
12/9/12 8:34 PM
Kimbos Bread
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Old Thrashbarg - Its a close race between BJs corner men and Rampage's wolfslair corner men. It's tough to beat that obnoxious "FIND YOUR RANGE!! FIND YOUR RAAAANGE!!!!" Phone Post
This x 10000000000 Phone Post
12/9/12 8:46 PM
AnthonyMMA
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Worse cornermen in life!! Phone Post
12/9/12 9:29 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe - on par with Coleman's crew at UFC 93 against Shogun

"He cant hurt you Mark! Youre a legend! Youre a fuckin legend! That didnt do shit! he cant hurt you because youre a legend!"

as Shogun was uppercutting the fuck out of him

Jesus, I try to block that out of my head.  Along with my man getting crushed, I got to hear that shit.  That was the problem with Hammerhouse; they didn't have anybody besides themselves.  When Mark went to Couture's, he instantly got better.  Mike Pyle is one of THE best cornermen in the game and along with being at Randy's.  

12/9/12 10:14 PM
mbalz izhairy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got a sick idea, instead of flying jay hieron and tyrone woodley to Hilo, why not spend a month down in Brazil with the guy who gave you your black belt and is the best MMA coach in the world? Maybe train a little bit with Andre Pederneiras Jose Aldo and crew? Maybe have Andre P work your corner even.
Guarantee you'll hear some better things than " Lower your heart rate down " and "You're beating him in the standup, throw the left,right ,left!"
12/9/12 11:15 PM
plasticonoband
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember having this conversation a while ago with some friends. One fight (edgar fight) all i heard from BJ's corner was "smash him, smash him". Kept thinking to myself that a corner should have more to say when their guy is losing shouldnt they? Phone Post
12/9/12 11:37 PM
UGCTT_picanoc231

FreightTrain -
UGCTT_picanoc231 - 
Silverball - Penn hasn't been the same since Rudy V left.

Remember in the second Edgar fight when Rogan called out BJ's corner for doing exactly the same thing they were doing last night? MMA is not the best arena for not learning from your mistakes.
"Catch this little cocksucker!"

That's great technical advice, if I've ever heard it. Phone Post

They seriously said that?

Sad if true.
Either 2nd or 3rd round, iirc. Ill try to dig it up. Phone Post
12/9/12 11:44 PM
Rear Naked Chode
408 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JakodaRay - I loved what they told him after the 1st round "Just scrap BJ!"

They're almost as good as Mark Coleman
"Yeah Kev! GO KEV! You got im' Kev! YEAH KEV YEEEAH! Go for him Kev! Yes Kev, YES! That's how you do it Kev! No Kev! Go KEV!"

Breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaatttttthhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
12/9/12 11:49 PM
Alistair Overstream
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember bringing this up after the second edgar fight...saying that "the little cocksucker doesn't belong in there with you" this is after BJ had been handled by Frankie for 3 rounds or so

can't expect to be at the top if you surround yourself with yes men who will never tell you if you're doing something wrong
12/10/12 5:55 AM
genkisudosrobotdance

Edited: 12/10/12 5:56 AM
<blockquote>Smellde Gluve - Yeah, that dude with the sunglasses had meth-intensity to his cheer leading.</blockquote><br /> ^This^. BJ seems like a smart guy but having a guy like that corner him makes me wonder. Did he win a competition to get to hang with BJ for a day and couldn't control himself?
12/10/12 9:56 AM
disbeliever
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
stillmatic - 

It's frustrating that he can never make an in-fight adjustment.  Big part of that is definitely the corner never being able to give him clear and technical instructions.  Instead, they're just trying to pump him up and that inevitably fails. I've never been a big fan of him constantly switching the team around him and it clearly shows in the inconsistency of his performance.  He doesn't want to leave Hawaii and be away from his family, which is understandable but the days of running your own camp are more or less done.  Nobody is having success doing that anymore.

I have said this for years. He makes no in ring adjustments, and if his original game plan (if he had any) doesn't work, it's over.

When BJ uses all of his skills (wrestling, BJJ, boxing) he's a beast. He took Edgar down and got top position, and he mauled Fitch for 2 rounds. Where is that BJ?
12/10/12 10:00 AM
sacredhate
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - 
stillmatic - 

It's frustrating that he can never make an in-fight adjustment.  Big part of that is definitely the corner never being able to give him clear and technical instructions.  Instead, they're just trying to pump him up and that inevitably fails. I've never been a big fan of him constantly switching the team around him and it clearly shows in the inconsistency of his performance.  He doesn't want to leave Hawaii and be away from his family, which is understandable but the days of running your own camp are more or less done.  Nobody is having success doing that anymore.

I have said this for years. He makes no in ring adjustments, and if his original game plan (if he had any) doesn't work, it's over.

When BJ uses all of his skills (wrestling, BJJ, boxing) he's a beast. He took Edgar down and got top position, and he mauled Fitch for 2 rounds. Where is that BJ?

yeah...the day and age of I'll just show up and figure it out in the ring are gone.

all the most successful guys go in with plans, and they can count on their corner men to see and analyze things in the fight that the fighter themselves cannot.

with BJ it's always one guy against a team on fight night. i'm not sure it would have made a difference against rory, but it's definitely held him back.
12/10/12 10:31 AM
allforroy
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrattMamley -

Upper left...obviously

Someone should romo Moe , Larry and Curly on those fellows. Phone Post
12/10/12 11:00 AM
Slap Maxwell
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was it Mike Pierce who had the guy that was texting between rounds and even made him open his own water?
12/10/12 11:47 AM
mrgoodarmbar
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can count on 1 hand the number of times that bj has taken the fight to the ground and fought from the top... It's a shame.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.