UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why cameras pulled back at UFC on FOX 5

12/9/12 2:02 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1067 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

When FOX entered into a seven year deal with the UFC, fans anticipated that the best sport's production values in the world would enhance already insanely great evening. FOX delivered when the Phantom Cam caught close ups of shots landing cleanly at 20,000 frames per second.

However, during Saturday night's UFC on FOX 5, more than once the screen inexplicably pulled back to an impossibly long shot.

It happened perhaps most annoyingly when Henderson neutralized Diaz's leg lock attacks by dropping down into a full split.

Fans assumed error, but in fact, the cause was Nick Diaz, or more precisely, his middle finger.

This is Benson Henderson using his finger for dramatic effect:

He learned it from his mom:

He can do it with two fingers, too:

This of course is Nate Diaz expressing himself:

It turns out that Diaz, frustrated with rounds of being punched in the thigh and kicked in the head, expressed himself to Henderson during the fight. FOX, concerned about the sensibilities of both sponsors and the wider fight fan audience, censored what really happened. FOX pulled the camera back so far all you could see what the Octagon, and not who was in it, or what they were doing with their finger.

"It’s not appropriate for air," said a FOX spokesperson. "But the folks in the UFC’s production truck were on the ball. They cut away so quickly that it was virtually indiscernible to the naked eye. We regret even a small fraction of a second snuck through."

12/9/12 2:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Melvinator86
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post
12/9/12 2:09 PM
sparkuri

Nick Diaz huh? Phone Post
12/9/12 2:11 PM
sawdusk
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they could have at least gone to a crowd shot... looked like they were going to some overhead of an empty arena...
12/9/12 2:12 PM
Jei
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sparkuri -  Nick Diaz huh? Phone Post

12/9/12 2:12 PM
kinson

I thought it was funny. Phone Post
12/9/12 2:13 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1774 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Fans assumed error, but in fact, the cause was Nick Diaz, or more precisely, his middle finger."

Most powerful remote middle finger EVA Phone Post
SmasherSnu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was watching with friends from work who were new to the sport. They were all like, WTF? I explained to them that Nate loved to flip people off in the octagon, and this was network TV.
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus i didn't know FOX got a 7 year deal thought it was for only about 3....
Silva vs Fedor
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/09/12 2:15 PM
I just don't understand what's going on between the ears of the suites that run these giant corporate companies. Don't they know that showing that finger would have created tons of buzz?

Imagine the mainstream fans
"Did you watch UFC on Fox last night?"
"No, I don't watch MMA."
"I don't either but I tuned in and this dude who was getting his ass whooped kept flipping the other dude off?"
"Seriously?"
"Yeah it was nuts."

Damn corporate suites!
12/9/12 2:14 PM
Cara Cicatriz
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wut? Phone Post
12/9/12 2:16 PM
sunnyKO'd my SN
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was wondering wtf was happening with that.

12/9/12 2:16 PM
night fox
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and now I'm a little less interested in the UFC.....

12/9/12 2:17 PM
Krs10KO.com
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jei -
sparkuri -  Nick Diaz huh? Phone Post

Nick/ Nate. Same difference. :) Phone Post
12/9/12 2:19 PM
Body Shots
297 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol at the "fans" who assumed error

Anyone who has seen a Diaz fight knows it was the middle finger Phone Post
12/9/12 2:20 PM
sockeye
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if uncle Dana could maybe make a "no middle finger clause" in the contracts lol. It was kinda annoying while watching Phone Post
12/9/12 2:23 PM
Phisher

Who assumed that it was an error? It was obvious censorship.

12/9/12 2:23 PM
6ULDV8

Man, the fighter lifestyle sure is changing isn't it?

Tote the company line and suck up to the media bitches.  You're fighters dammit!  Now get out there and kiss some ass or you're fired!

Wonder-fucking-ful

12/9/12 2:25 PM
sawdusk
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the worst part was that was nate's most effective technique from his back...
12/9/12 2:26 PM
chris curry
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diaz being Diaz. C'mon guys these things happen in mma
12/9/12 2:30 PM
mose
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think an argument could be made that Diaz's gestures represent a foul under MMA rules regard 'using abusive language in the ring/fenced area'.
12/9/12 2:31 PM
Jason
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Site Admin
sawdusk - they could have at least gone to a crowd shot... looked like they were going to some overhead of an empty arena...

yeah the article said it was going back to a far off camera, but pretty sure it was going to a shot of an empty arena

12/9/12 2:34 PM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't pan away in the UK, lol.

12/9/12 2:43 PM
lookoutawhale
811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they can show a guy punching another guy in the head until he bleeds but a middle finger is too much?

12/9/12 2:48 PM
Josh Krosscheck

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 

Didn't pan away in the UK, lol.

canada either

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.