UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> dux-ryu

12/9/12 2:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ruggerbouy
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/09/12 2:07 PM

hello,

I've decided to take the plunge and get into MMA, I dont want to 'just" train I want to actually fight I'm Military and have always taken my fitness seriously.

In my area there is only a BJJ class that gets held four nights a week, which I will be attending soon, and only 1 other gym within a 3 hours drive that offers any form of MMA.

The other gym specializes in the "dux-ryu" system I understand the history in that dux-ryu was made famous by frank dux, the character Jean-Claude Van Damme played in bloodsport, this gym also has 2 pro's of the MMA community that train and fight out of it, I am just curious about what others know about dux-ryu and what it brings to the table in terms of MMA, as far as I can tell its a hybrid system that takes from other schools and adapts them all into a kind of arsenal.

Also if I can not recieve instructor training in striking i.e. boxing muay thai, does anyone know of an alternative way to train for striking properly i.e. dvd's and a heavy bag.
12/21/12 2:27 PM
dalieu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe I'm biased, but I think BJJ is great and would avoid the "dux-ryu" or any other traditional martial arts. The whole memorizing forms and breaking bricks is not very practical when it comes to a real MMA match. This is coming from someone who used to train Kung Fu in high school, but now does BJJ.

As for striking, if you can't find a Muay Thai gym, then I would look for a boxing gym next, anything where you get to spar with your opponent live with gloves and head gear.
12/21/12 3:54 PM
ruggerbouy
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dalieu - Maybe I'm biased, but I think BJJ is great and would avoid the "dux-ryu" or any other traditional martial arts. The whole memorizing forms and breaking bricks is not very practical when it comes to a real MMA match. This is coming from someone who used to train Kung Fu in high school, but now does BJJ.

As for striking, if you can't find a Muay Thai gym, then I would look for a boxing gym next, anything where you get to spar with your opponent live with gloves and head gear.

found out the BJJ class being offered goes 6 nights a week, for 60 bucks a month, also guy teaching it is pretty re-nowned has trained with GSP and the Gracie's. he also does Muay thai outside of the regular BJJ class, and if you are in the BJJ class the Muay Thai is free, lastly he also promotes amateur and professional fighters, I've made my decision and I will be staying away from the dux-ryu guy lol. Thanks for the opinion though I'm in complete agreement with you

12/22/12 10:39 AM
sly fox
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought you were trolling with the dux ryu... frank dux is regarded very poorly in the mma community

12/22/12 12:12 PM
ruggerbouy

sly fox - 

I thought you were trolling with the dux ryu... frank dux is regarded very poorly in the mma community

LOL, not at all I live in a military town of 18000 people, and my options are the dux ryu gym, or the BJJ class both have the ability to help you get into amateur and pro fights I was just curious as to which would be ebtter I figured it out by myself, I'm just mention this so in the future you know I F#&*$(& HATE trolls, so when you see the name "ruggerbouy" you know I'm being serious ;)

thanks though guys

12/22/12 1:46 PM
sly fox
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah id go with the bjj gym for sure,

best of luck mate and have fun with it

12/25/12 1:17 AM
shen
766 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/25/12 1:21 AM

In all seriousness, I actually had a female student who trained in Dux Ryu for a year and a half before BJJ. It gave her some "odd" habits when grappling. Out of sheer morbid curiosity, I was really interested in her showing me what she had learned before. I gather what they're teaching these days seems to be a mix of sort of "generic submission grappling" and clunky grappling techniques that you might encounter in a lesser American style "Traditional Jujitsu" class or what two untrained guys might "invent" by grappling together for an afternoon. To that base they add the notable addition of literal clawing of the face & groin. This often replacing any maneuver that requires a technical understanding of a position. (I'm not joking). So when they get stuck, they are just supposed to claw --That's what she showed me. From what I saw from her and from Frank Dux on Youtube, I say the style is genuinely beneath criticism; It's just a little too crappy to even bother seriously tearing apart.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.