UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighters that try to kick ass, as opposed to...

12/9/12 6:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Morgz
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters that try to kick ass, as opposed to fighters who try to "win competitions".

You could see it in Abel Trujillo's eyes, and his actions.  Sure, both guys want to win the "match", but Abel appeared to be there to kick ass.  I love watching guys like this.

I've done my share of complaining about the "point fighting" guys.  That isn't what this thread is about.  I want to praise those guys who go in to do DAMAGE.  They don't necessarily play it safe (or maybe at some points they do) -- but you can see when they through strikes, apply subs, hit takedowns...they do it with bad intentions.  I love watching those guys.

12/9/12 7:00 PM
yellow wrkahlc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt Brown and Bendo were two names that stuck out last night.

Brown was going in for the finish the whole fight, and Bendo had no problem following Nate to the ground, no matter how many times Nate threatened with sub attempts.

True warriors.

12/9/12 7:00 PM
Snayke13
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was impressed with Abel lastnight too. Guy is a huge LW, like Tibau i have no idea how they get to 155. Phone Post
12/9/12 7:08 PM
Morgz
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow wrkahlc - 

Matt Brown and Bendo were two names that stuck out last night.

Brown was going in for the finish the whole fight, and Bendo had no problem following Nate to the ground, no matter how many times Nate threatened with sub attempts.

True warriors.

I didn't want to admit it with Bendo, but I think you are right.  I'm a Diaz fan, and usually think he is one of those killers too...but he had a bad night last night and ran into another killer.

Yeah, Matt Brown was a BEAST...He was also brutal a while back when fought Wonderboy kickboxer guy.

12/9/12 7:09 PM
Morgz

He may have not been the most talented guy to ever enter the Octagon, but remember when Houston Alexander went after Keith Jardine?  BANG!

12/9/12 7:12 PM
yellow wrkahlc

I was super impressed with Benson last night. Everytime he escaped, I would yell at my TV for him to stay standing because I was so worried Nate would catch him.

Instead, he manned up and went right back into Nate's guard for some more. I was very impressed.

12/9/12 7:16 PM
MachidasStraightLeft
476 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow wrkahlc - 

I was super impressed with Benson last night. Everytime he escaped, I would yell at my TV for him to stay standing because I was so worried Nate would catch him.

Instead, he manned up and went right back into Nate's guard for some more. I was very impressed.

Bendo will never be sumbitted!! Watch the Cerrone fight.  

12/9/12 7:18 PM
yellow wrkahlc

MachidasStraightLeft - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

Bendo will never be sumbitted!! Watch the Cerrone fight.  

I'm sure he will never be sumbitted, fren.

12/10/12 8:23 AM
Morgz

I think Cub Swanson is another one who comes to do some damage!

12/10/12 8:34 AM
Chris Power
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The lower down on the card you are, the more likely you are to try and 'kick that ass', generally speaking. Less to lose, more to gain from making a big impression.

At the top level, most guys simply don't get much reward for doing that. GSP's beloved regardless of how much ass he kicks, why bother even doing so if you're him? Easier to control and win for five rounds. Once you establish a certain cultural relevance, the need to be exciting to make fans goes away and simply winning/competing becomes enough. It becomes less about fighting I think to most fairweather fans and more about that fighter winning and continuing to build that cultural relevance. I used GSP as the example because most Canadians simply want the guy to win for Canada's sake, and his fan base is huuuuuuugely Canadian.

I'm not defending it, just pointing out the nature of the business. When you have more at stake, you generally fight less violently. Unless your last name is Diaz.
12/10/12 8:37 AM
Morgz

Chris Power - The lower down on the card you are, the more likely you are to try and 'kick that ass', generally speaking. Less to lose, more to gain from making a big impression.

At the top level, most guys simply don't get much reward for doing that. GSP's beloved regardless of how much ass he kicks, why bother even doing so if you're him? Easier to control and win for five rounds. Once you establish a certain cultural relevance, the need to be exciting to make fans goes away and simply winning/competing becomes enough. It becomes less about fighting I think to most fairweather fans and more about that fighter winning and continuing to build that cultural relevance. I used GSP as the example because most Canadians simply want the guy to win for Canada's sake, and his fan base is huuuuuuugely Canadian.

I'm not defending it, just pointing out the nature of the business. When you have more at stake, you generally fight less violently. Unless your last name is Diaz.

All great points, Chris Power!

I still think there are few out there that break this theory (or used to be).  Chocolate Al seemed to always go for the kill.  I can't recall Randy Couture ever cruising to a safe victory -- it may have happened, but I don't remember it.  

Shane Carwin?  Frank Mir?  Love him or hate him, Mir seems to either finish, or be finished (most of the time)...and does so with BAD intentions!

12/10/12 8:41 AM
Chris Power
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those are all good examples, truth be told. Fuck man, I wish Chuck still fought.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.