UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> IGN scores

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/9/12 7:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
choadler
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WTF. Why is everything AAA a 9-10? Jesus. Good for news, shit for reviews. Phone Post
12/9/12 10:04 PM
shootfighterbull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Advertising money definitely has a lot to do with their review ratings. Phone Post
12/9/12 10:40 PM
maantren
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes indeed it does. They protest a lot and say they've cleaned up but they really haven't.
12/9/12 10:57 PM
Gracie killar
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outside of IGN gamestop joystiq what are other game sites to go to for decent news/rviews
12/9/12 11:20 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is gamestop the same as videogames.com?

12/9/12 11:34 PM
Gracie killar
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/09/12 11:34 PM
yeah it is the same and thats what i meant gamespot not stop
12/10/12 4:17 AM
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash

Every COD gets 9.5 lololol. Gamespot review are much better. Phone Post
12/10/12 4:45 AM
redeye2000

only trust people who actually buy the game and play it. when they say it sucks the game sucks. because who pays 50 dollars for the game? we!

all the media get the games for free, + sponsored money. they can never be trusted.

that is why i only read the sites for the news. but reviews inever trust them.
12/10/12 6:23 AM
TheSwansBoingBoingedMyBaggies
602 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gamespot>IGN Phone Post
12/10/12 6:49 AM
nobigdeal

TheSwansBoingBoingedMyBaggies - Gamespot>IGN Phone Post
This. I always read player reviews from here before I even consider buying. Phone Post
12/10/12 8:39 AM
Whambo
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would love a 60 minutes style expose on corruption in gaming review sites.
12/10/12 2:06 PM
6mildollarman
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

redeye2000 - only trust people who actually buy the game and play it. when they say it sucks the game sucks. because who pays 50 dollars for the game? we!

all the media get the games for free, + sponsored money. they can never be trusted.

that is why i only read the sites for the news. but reviews inever trust them.
Same here. I'll usually look on Metacritic for a range and consensus and see what both critics and users are saying. I just have to filter through the fanboys deliberately tanking or padding scores. I've found that the most reliable reviews come from consumers: Gamestop (the retailer, not gamespot) comments section on individual games, and forums (like this one) where players post their personal experiences.

Most major sites are heavily influenced by publishers' marketing dollars, especially Gamespot and IGN. Google "Gamespot scandal" for an example. Phone Post
12/11/12 5:20 PM
1st Round Armbar
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This happens to every review site, if they want the insider previews and the latest info on the upcoming games they need to be friendly with the people making these games.

when the new COD comes out they could write 9.5, must buy! best ever FPS!
or just as easily write 7.0, good game but kinda the same as the others, new locations a few new guns but generally the same thing.

if they go for option 2 activision won't give them any info for the next game and they'll lose out on a bunch of hits/subscribers.

also I'm sure a lot of their sponsors are activision. EA etc. I'm sure there's a few sneaky little "Write a positive review and here's a nice bonus for you" type scenarios Phone Post
12/11/12 5:25 PM
maantren
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah the pressure (on reviewers who are often young, inexperienced, and untrained as journalists) is immense. Some of the junkets they get taken on are incredible, very hard to write a negative or lacklustre review of a title when you've been a part of something like this:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Halo-4-Invades-Liechtenstein-Launch-Event-48820.html

And, as 1st round armbar says, the PR people keep very close watch on reviews and will completely fuck you in the future if you don't make the game look good.
12/11/12 11:24 PM
Granpa
379 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gametrailers has, imo, the most on-point reviews. Gamespot is hit and miss, but it's still better than IGN.
12/11/12 11:28 PM
Keep if professional

I like Gamespy, but I think it's the same as Gamespot.
12/12/12 2:37 AM
Oppsicrappedmypants
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gamefly shows user review score next to ign score and ign score is always like 1.5 points higher than user Phone Post
12/12/12 7:12 AM
GriffinQ
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to write for a site called GamePartisan (it's no longer in existence)... Our lead reviewer gave a bad review of a Fight Night game(I think it was 2 or 3, years ago so I don't remember) and EA completely blacklisted the dude, no more media privileges at all. Phone Post
12/12/12 4:31 PM
None So Blind
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GEEK ALERT

I work with spreadsheets for research as part of my job.

A couple years back, I entered into a spreadsheet all ~150 XBox and PS2 games I had, then entered the review scores from Gamespot, IGN, TeamXBox, and official PS2 and XBox magazines. It was nothing more than a way to kill time, took me a couple weeks to get it done. I then added in my own personal review scores after I beat the games.

I then ran some correlations and stats on the scores. I wanted to see who was closest to my impressions.

IGN, TeamXBox, and the mags were pretty consistent, vary rarely did they deviate much from each other.

Gamespot was very notable in that they averaged about .6 lower than everyone else (on an adjusted 10 point scale - a game on IGN that got a 9.0 would get an 8.4 from GS, etc.). Not surprising, as Gamespot has always cultivated a rep as being "hard" reviewers.

All of *my* scores were pretty consistent with all the review sites, but TeamXBox was on average much closer to my scores than anyone else. So I had the half-assed answer I was looking for - which site should I have given the most weight to when considering scores.

Alas, TeamXBox doesn't do reviews anymore, I think someone bought them out.

Point being, IGN is probably no different from most major review sites, although on rare occasions they will get a wild hair up their ass and give a game a 3 or 4 out of 10 out of sheer spite (games that everyone else gives a 7 or so to).

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.