UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP to Vacated WW Belt

12/9/12 9:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Letibleu
1669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP was on a French show a few weeks back (Toute Le Monde En Parle)and I was in attendance. I got to chit chat with him prior to the taping.

He was pretty clear on the following:

If Rory was to win his fight Saturday (which he did decisively), it was going to cement certain plans and set certain wheels in motion for GSP which I assume is why up to date he has been mum about the Anderson fight. It's not that he needed to think about it, he has just simply been waiting for the Rory BJ fight result.

Rory is one fight away from a title fight. Hell, by UFC contender math (which differs from normal MMA fan math) he could be thrown into a title shot immediately. GSP will under no circumstances fight Rory and Rory will not fight GSP. GSP knows it's Rory's time soon. GSP may defend his title one more time(DiazI assume)and then move on to the Anderson fight and stay at 185 or even retire. Regardless, he will vacate the belt which in turn will give Rory the go ahead to fight for the vacant title.

I have no idea what would happen if Rory was to lose his next fight or if Anderson was to decide to fuck the GSP fight.

I am curious how the community (aka; us)would react to the lack of decisive "passing of the guard" of the WW belt. Seems kinda anti climactic.

I imagine the same would happen to the middleweight belt and Anderson I assume if he went to 205.
12/9/12 9:11 PM
ChaosOverkill
591 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he goes out on the SIlva fight it works perfectly. Any other way and Dana will piss all over him for not fighting a team mate

12/9/12 9:12 PM
Kimbos Bread
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP should fight Diaz (win) and then retire.

Leave on top with bank full. Phone Post
yellow wrkahlc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now THAT'S what you call a loyal teammate.

Rear Naked Chode
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

O_o
12/9/12 9:14 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This stuff was being hinted/talked about when GSP was telling Marquardt he should move down to 170. Phone Post
12/9/12 9:15 PM
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Um, its not Anderson that is the problem when it comes to the GSP vs Anderson fight. It is GSP.
12/9/12 9:31 PM
Stan Dan Wang

ummm, pretty sure it's passing of the garb.

~goldie
12/9/12 9:41 PM
ColdKiller X
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This makes sense, and the idea was in place long before these recent fights. They have been saying for a long time that Rory is GSP's protege and he would be taking GSP's title once he decided to change weight classes. Phone Post
12/9/12 9:46 PM
FormrChamp

Ummmmm, i think there are a few fighters at WW that could give Rory problems....
12/9/12 10:09 PM
likatiga
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sippy Cuppy - GSP just lost his legendary status
According to the very influential sippy cuppy... Phone Post
12/9/12 10:59 PM
omlet de fromage

I don't know why GSP would do this. He is on a different level. Rory will only get a few title defenses but GSP could surpass Anderson's record. Phone Post
12/9/12 11:02 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 12/09/12 11:09 PM

that would be Gay...  GSP needs to lose his belt at 170.  He's too small for 185.  I can see him move on after the diaz fight and take on Anderson... while he's taking on Anderson, Rory is fighting for the interim title.... but at some point GSP is gonna have to come back down to 170.

12/9/12 11:30 PM
orcus

"Rory is one fight away from a title fight."

How so? Has he beaten a ranked opponent yet? Let him at least fight Koscheck, Shields, Ellenberger, Kampmann, Hendricks, Nick, Condit again...

12/9/12 11:32 PM
shaqitup
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP vs Rory is the fight i most want to see
12/9/12 11:38 PM
MachidasStraightLeft
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crazy if true.

12/10/12 12:06 AM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree, and I was saying this to my brother an hour ago. If Rory takes out Condit, the next logical fight would be a title shot or (more likely) Nick Diaz (assuming, of course, that GSP wins). If Rory were to beat Nick, GSP would either have to move up or fight Rory, or risk stalling Rory's career.

Of course, they could have Rory fight Hendricks and give Condit a fight with Kampmann. But to be honest I think Rory beats Hendricks and closes in a title shot in that scenario as well.
12/10/12 12:32 AM
youarewhatiswrong
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP has plenty of time to decide, Rory hasn't beaten a ranked WW yet. He's an animal, but we need to see him beat Kos, Condit, Ellenburger, Hendrix, Diaz, Fitch, SOMEBODY before we can start talking about title shots.

I say put Rory up against Erik Silva, that fight would be glorious.
12/10/12 1:44 AM
orcus

youarewhatiswrong - GSP has plenty of time to decide, Rory hasn't beaten a ranked WW yet. He's an animal, but we need to see him beat Kos, Condit, Ellenburger, Hendrix, Diaz, Fitch, SOMEBODY before we can start talking about title shots.

I say put Rory up against Erik Silva, that fight would be glorious.

I assume Eric Silva isn't ranked either.

12/10/12 1:46 AM
paddle to New Zealand

no
12/10/12 2:32 AM
Letibleu
1669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Actually, his French has gotten bad. He has a slight accent now.

I would have posted about this the night of but i was pouting because I was suspended from the UG. The night before I went to the taping I let you guys know I was going to give you all the tidbits I could get. I slipped a gay joke (in good taste) unto an otherwise serious post and got suspended for it by a mod.

GSP's English seems off sometimes because like me it is his second language. His English is fluent but many times he will use badly translated term like "traduction" instead of "translation" (traduction is French for translation). If French he doesnt force his thoughts from one language to the other so it feels more like we are talking as friends. I still get slightly starstruck around him so its hard to corner him on questions. I thought I would have been able to ask more but I did not want to disrespect more than i already felt i was.

12/10/12 3:43 AM
Farewell Brock
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -

How so? Has he beaten a ranked opponent yet? Let him at least fight Koscheck, Shields, Ellenberger, Kampmann, Hendricks, Nick, Condit again...

He beat the same ranked opponent that nick did to get in the title picture Phone Post
12/10/12 3:55 AM
Brasco

Rory should fight Fitch....
12/10/12 3:56 AM
Letibleu

He seemed very genuine about it. I thought he was going to repeat the same thing later in the filming but to my surprise he gave the generic answer we all have heard.

Im pretty sure we will hear something more about all this in the weeks to come. Im guessing these moves will happen after the hustle of the holidays.

12/10/12 4:00 AM
yellow wrkahlc

Farewell Brock - 
orcus -

He beat the same ranked opponent that nick did to get in the title picture Phone Post

Yes...back when BJ was ranked.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.