UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The worst current match-up for Bendo...

12/10/12 3:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is Josh Thomson, in my opinion. It's probably not a match-up we'll ever see, because of Josh's inability to stay healthy and his lack of solid win streaks, but I think he has the style to give Bendo fits the way Frankie did.

He has a technical kickboxing game, and has great hands when he fights disciplined and doesn't brawl. He's got a great chin, and good offensive and defensive wrestling. He's fast as hell, and while I can't recall his bottom game being particularly note-worthy(not like Diaz or Cowboy), he scrambles well and gets back to his feet.

He also seems pretty strong at WW, and wouldn't be manhandled the way Diaz was or outsized the way Edgar was. I'm reasonably sure that Josh and Bendo have pretty similar heights and reaches as well, I think they're both about 5'9".

I could be completely wrong, and I do think Bendo would still win and might even win impressively, but I can also see Josh giving Bendo many of the problems that Edgar gave him in the 2nd fight if he were to fight a very disciplined fight. Phone Post
12/10/12 3:14 AM
JShad
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haven't seen too many of his fights, but does he have the cardio to keep up with bendo?
12/10/12 3:16 AM
WestCoastMXC

*Shakes head* Phone Post
12/10/12 3:33 AM
KenP

MMAagents.com, Sports Agent
I agree. Phone Post
12/10/12 3:45 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
439 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ben would wreck Thomson.

The correct answer is Jose Aldo once he moves up Phone Post
12/10/12 4:23 AM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JShad - Haven't seen too many of his fights, but does he have the cardio to keep up with bendo?
His cardio is kind of inconsistent. Against Kawajiri and Noons, it didn't look all there. Against Melendez(particularly the 3rd time), and against Healy, I thought it looked fantastic. Really I think it depends on the kind of injuries he's suffering in his training camp. Phone Post
12/10/12 4:25 AM
GriffinQ

WestCoastMXC - *Shakes head* Phone Post
Anything you'd like to point out wrong with what I said? People are saying Melendez could beat Bendo and that he is the # 1/2 LW in the world.... And Thomson arguably beat him 6 months ago. Phone Post
12/10/12 4:27 AM
RepsOne
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grey Maynard Phone Post
12/10/12 4:27 AM
GriffinQ

GayGuardMooseSaucy - Ben would wreck Thomson.

The correct answer is Jose Aldo once he moves up Phone Post
Not sure I agree that Aldo will ever be the threat at 155 that he is at 145. Similar to how I feel about GSP potentially going to 185. They both added a lot of muscle to their frames, and it slowed them down and hindered their performances. Both(particularly Aldo) looked leaner in their most recent fight(s) and were much more impressive. Phone Post
12/10/12 4:31 AM
Matt Phillips
771 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/10/12 4:40 AM
HandyDarsh
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AresSmashedPrahjuhdee - Melendez
Melendez and Thompson could both give bendo troubles Phone Post
aolo

Pettis :) Phone Post
GriffinQ

TheMentalisT - I don't see Bendo taking down Alvarez that much and that would cause Bendo to stand with Eddie. Alvarez could easily squeak out a decision
I agree with that. I think that fight could really come down to Bendo's cardio and which of them has the most significant moments early on. If one of them never allows the other to find their groove... Either guy could get finished or lose a decision.

I think Alvarez fades late a little bit though, and I can't think of anyone he's faced recently as relentless as Bendo, aside from Chandler. And Chandler finished him late in an absolutely ridiculous fight. Phone Post
12/10/12 4:42 AM
Bucephalus

The worst?

JDS or Jones.
12/10/12 4:42 AM
GriffinQ

Honestly I see Bendo going on a GSP-like run over the next few years, he improves at such a quick rate , is so dedicated, and is so physically gifted that its gonna be an enormous task to take his belt away.

Thomson is just the guy who I think matches up best with him, from what I've seen(with the exception of Edgar) Phone Post
12/10/12 4:48 AM
madmav
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

aldo, josh, gil and maybe pettis again.. imo

12/10/12 5:09 AM
caseharts
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought he beat Gil last time but I don't agree Phone Post
12/10/12 10:24 AM
Mr Sponge

Alvarez, Pettis, Melendez have the best chance to beat him. Phone Post
12/10/12 10:28 AM
GSPGreasedMyButthole
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo and Gil Phone Post
12/10/12 10:32 AM
Hikikomori

Footwork, combos, wrestling will beat Bendo. Phone Post
12/10/12 10:45 AM
Vidz
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally I feel it'd be Maynard. Maynard is one of the bigger lightweights in the division and I feel he has the wrestling to keep it on the feet. And on the feet he's got the power to drop Bendo and GNP him for a stoppage or possibly even knock him out on the feet.

I'm not saying that Maynard would beat Bendo if they fought, because personally I think Bendo would cruise his way to his first stoppage in the UFC, BUT I do believe he has the best chance based upon skillset and size.
12/10/12 10:48 AM
Mr Sponge

Vidz - Personally I feel it'd be Maynard. Maynard is one of the bigger lightweights in the division and I feel he has the wrestling to keep it on the feet. And on the feet he's got the power to drop Bendo and GNP him for a stoppage or possibly even knock him out on the feet.

I'm not saying that Maynard would beat Bendo if they fought, because personally I think Bendo would cruise his way to his first stoppage in the UFC, BUT I do believe he has the best chance based upon skillset and size.
Completely forgot about Maynard. He has a great chance to beat Benson. Phone Post
12/10/12 10:53 AM
cheesesteak
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Maynard can out wrestle Bendo but may catch some kicks to the head in the process. It's be a great match no doubt.
12/10/12 12:01 PM
orcus

"He's fast as hell, and while I can't recall his bottom game being particularly note-worthy(not like Diaz or Cowboy), he scrambles well and gets back to his feet."

His bottom game is excellent, he was non-stop attacking against Healy and eventually subbed him from there iirc. It also looked good in the second fight with Melendez. 

I agree with you, Josh on top of his game might have the best chance at beating Bendo. The only other is maybe Edgar with some adjustments and more urgency.

12/10/12 12:08 PM
bruised
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bucephalus - The worst?

JDS or Jones.
. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.