UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Serious Question for older Martial Artists -

12/11/12 2:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bhealthy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic -  Started in judo at 7, it will always be my base. Over the years I have traned hapkido, bjj, boxing, & sambo.

I just plain had to stop a few years ago. I was hurt ALL the time. Nagging things like wrist, shoulder,elbow pain. Of course the knee & back pain all of us old judokas know & love.

I was having to call off of shifts, days where my wrist was so jacked I couldn't start an IV. Concussions were adding up..... memory issues.

I miss it every day, there is a huge hole in my life without it. But I have to work, & I enjoy walking. Phone Post

is your last name Jazo?
12/11/12 2:42 PM
MountainMedic
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, lol, why?
If that's some inside joke it went right over my head. Phone Post
12/11/12 6:43 PM
Mr Howard
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is what I have been doing this year.  I am working out what nexts years will be right now and would be happy to share them when I get them set up.  Cycles take about an hour, and I will spend 30-40 minutes stretching afterwards.  I have been told by several people to atlernate between body weight execises and weights to allow your joints to recover and have been doing it for the past 5 years.

I do all of my cardio in the morning and my strength training at night.  I do cardio everyday but Sunday and strength training on M-W-Sat.  I use to lift two day a week but as I said, as I got older it became more important. 

I try my best to get to the dojo on Tuesday and if I am feeling froggy I will go to the open mat on Thursday night.

I have a truckload of books on lifting, etc, and most of the in PDF.  I am happy to share the knowledge, if anyone wants to send me and email.

12 week cycles
Cycle 1 (3 X 15) first set is 50% of 1 RPM, sets 2 & 3 are 60% & 70% respectively.
Cleans
Squats
Step Up (lunges as a substitute)
Bent Over Rows
Hyperextensions
Good Mornings

Cycle 2 (Body Weight) Done in circuit  x 5.  2 minute rest between circuits
Squats- 50
Pull Ups-8
Bar Dips-15
Hindu Push Ups-25
Planks (Front & Side)- 1 min per position
Hanging Leg raises-20

Cycle 3  (3 X 15) first set is 50% of 1 RPM, sets 2 & 3 are 60% & 70% respectively.
Snatch (one arm with DB or KB)
Deadlift
Bench press
Around the Worlds
Military press
Cuban Press

Cycle 4 (Body Weight) Done in circuit  x 5.  2 minute rest between circuits
Squats- 50,55,60,65,75
Pull Ups-5,6,7,8,9,
Bar Dips-15,16,17,18,19
Hindu Push Ups-15,20,20,25,30
Planks (Front & Side)- 1,1, 2, 2, 3  min per position
Hanging Leg raises-10,12,15,18,20

12/12/12 6:04 AM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ Nice work Mr Howard.

i think that workout would "kill me dead" haha

there have been some great post on this thread and i really appreciate them all.

I guess my problem is i can go full pelt for hours, but its the recovery that's the real problem... the muscle aches that leave me unable to move for almost 2 days... the bones killing me.

injuries are part of what we do and i don't even notice them any more, i was told during check up recently that i had broken 2 ribs and deflated my lunge about 6 weeks before as it was already healing?? i said, yeah i though it wasn't quite right - but you just carry on with things. i know that will never change. but HOW do i recover?? what can i take to stop this all over body pain that feels like ive been hit by a truck?

come on peeps, hit me with the secret supplements :)
12/12/12 6:35 AM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
383 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

Definetly would need to work up to that Mr Howard. Looks pretty tough.

12/12/12 8:42 AM
Mr Howard
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The bodyweight work is actually harder than the weights and I have found if I skip all of the injuries start to hurt and act up. 

As far as recovery, the sauna really helps.   

12/12/12 9:29 AM
fayceofff
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some really good posts here. I have to agree with most of them. The sauna is HUGE as a recovery tool for me - I do a lot of my post workout stretching in there and I notice when I don't have time for it, I feel a lot more stiff, sore, and achy the next day. I've been thinking of taking up Bikram Yoga...
12/12/12 9:51 AM
Lazer MMA

TTT
12/12/12 10:16 AM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone else incorporate Ginastica Natural into their warm ups? (most will know it from Rickson in Choke)

this is something i added to ours a good while back and it really helped with flexibility and stretching. its very easy on the older body, and can be done anywhere.

there are many clips but i put a couple here for anyone who wants to get an idea of what its about (blue please)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NgfTxLuAP8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=rYqsuOFZb78&feature=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAh_9RBI_OQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvTg4Z-7opQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxv8lrUT27A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2vqLZ2ymco

http://youtu.be/WtH_wi2Duhs
12/12/12 10:58 AM
French Fries Malone
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a bit young to post on this thread (34) but have had many injuries which probably make me older.

I work in nutrition and hate seeing people buy wonder supplements that don't work.

The single best thing you could inexpensively add to your diet is : hemp hearts

Complete protein , good source of healthy fats in correct ratio.

Berries are a good source of anti oxidants and Korean or Siberian ginseng helps with energy and harmony Phone Post
12/12/12 11:15 AM
UGCTT croy_00
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a 27 yr old with the knees of a 90 yr old (Thanks Jiu-Jitsu) this thread interests me. Phone Post
12/12/12 11:29 AM
per
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Master Bater, you can take comfort in the fact that you are probably in way better shape than I am. I am 30 and trained like a madman in my teens but have done pretty much nothing up until the last year. I also train, spar and roll and can't do much to my training partners as I am starting to gas after a minute and is pretty wrecked after three 2-minute rounds. I also think of how light my body used to feel 12 years ago but no point in dwelling on that.

What older fighters often do is they change their game as their body changes. My old karate sensei was probably round 45 at the time I trained and we had some explosive young guys there that did well in regional and national competitions, but when he sparred them he had a way of slowing down the pace, have them hit air and slow them down. He just moved in a relaxed manner and eventually he would strike them with a perfect technique, Machida-style.

Also, this may be a tough one when you actually have a life outside of sports, but Randy Couture stated in an interview that at his age he needed to be completely consistent in order to stay at the same level and not decline. In your 40s your physique responds so slowly to training that he could simply not afford to take one week off, he had to be completely committed to his training regimen.

And when you roll and your cardio is not up to par you simply have to slow down and pick your moments. I have a strong neck and good joints so I pretty much let guys stay on top and maul away, once they commit to a submission it is my opportunity to change position. I can't just go aggresively for sweeps and such, I wear myself out instantly. Find a way to make your body work well.

Oh, and it is okay to tap to superior athletes. Just saying...
12/12/12 12:12 PM
hubris
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr Howard - 

Here is what I have been doing this year.  I am working out what nexts years will be right now and would be happy to share them when I get them set up.  Cycles take about an hour, and I will spend 30-40 minutes stretching afterwards.  I have been told by several people to atlernate between body weight execises and weights to allow your joints to recover and have been doing it for the past 5 years.

I do all of my cardio in the morning and my strength training at night.  I do cardio everyday but Sunday and strength training on M-W-Sat.  I use to lift two day a week but as I said, as I got older it became more important. 

I try my best to get to the dojo on Tuesday and if I am feeling froggy I will go to the open mat on Thursday night.

I have a truckload of books on lifting, etc, and most of the in PDF.  I am happy to share the knowledge, if anyone wants to send me and email.

12 week cycles
Cycle 1 (3 X 15) first set is 50% of 1 RPM, sets 2 & 3 are 60% & 70% respectively.
Cleans
Squats
Step Up (lunges as a substitute)
Bent Over Rows
Hyperextensions
Good Mornings

Cycle 2 (Body Weight) Done in circuit  x 5.  2 minute rest between circuits
Squats- 50
Pull Ups-8
Bar Dips-15
Hindu Push Ups-25
Planks (Front & Side)- 1 min per position
Hanging Leg raises-20

Cycle 3  (3 X 15) first set is 50% of 1 RPM, sets 2 & 3 are 60% & 70% respectively.
Snatch (one arm with DB or KB)
Deadlift
Bench press
Around the Worlds
Military press
Cuban Press

Cycle 4 (Body Weight) Done in circuit  x 5.  2 minute rest between circuits
Squats- 50,55,60,65,75
Pull Ups-5,6,7,8,9,
Bar Dips-15,16,17,18,19
Hindu Push Ups-15,20,20,25,30
Planks (Front & Side)- 1,1, 2, 2, 3  min per position
Hanging Leg raises-10,12,15,18,20

most guys in their 20s wouldn't be able to do that

good job
12/12/12 12:46 PM
armbarbarian
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/12/12 12:48 PM
51 years old here
BJJ 3-5x week
light standup sparring 1x week
Joint mobilizations every morning. especially with the 5lb clubbell
Glucosamine & Chondroitan
juicing
Post workout recovery stretch (most important

Oh, and bilateral hip resurfacing surgery.
12/12/12 1:05 PM
shiznit

I coach and also train along with being almost 40. My own personal opinion is that in your younger years you over train and over train alot, simply because your immune system is strong and can recover quickly,plus youth full levels of test-gh help. But thats youthfull gusto and not the correct way to train but you can get away with it, so you keep doing it. Untill you start hitting the wall in later years, as your immune system and hormone levels arent near the levels in your youth. Ive found a solution firstly try and change my diet so it strengthens my immune system, a diet full of protien,healthy nutritious non processed carbs,full of green veg,berries,fruit,green tea,cocoa,white tea. Then i take several immune strengthening supplements astaragalus,devils claw,ashwaganda,dymethylglycine,plenty b.c.a.a's,beta alanine,creatine

. My training when i was younger i was 80% sparring 20% technique,now its 80% technique 20% sparring. Technique doesnt have to be dull slow motion boring drills,the drills i have my guys doing are actually almost as hard on your cardio as sparring,functional drills that sharpen your skill set in every area. I listen to my body and if im tired,beat up,i rest. I never spar over 40-50 percent power when it comes to strikes. I try never to go 100% in anything more like 60% max and try and flow and enjoy and practice more,i never go heavy one day then heavy the next,if i want to train twice a day i train light both times.You dont always need to spar heavy,sometimes just spar very light focusing on reactions and timing.......will you ever be able to train like when you were 25? no you wont,but if you listen to your body use your time,training,diet,supplements and recovery in a more efficient manner youl likely be able to enjoy training as much or even more than when you wre younger and get more done without beating yourself up and feeling like garbage
12/12/12 1:35 PM
JudOWNED
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, oddly enough, since I first posted in this thread I have devoloped shin splints in my left leg. Hurts like the dickens! Since I'm not much ov a runner, I think it is from all the time I spend up on my toes during Judo. I am curretntly treating with ice and compression. But it looks like it'll be newaza only for a while.
12/12/12 2:19 PM
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You need opiates, and plenty of them. I personally recommend fentanyl.
12/12/12 2:35 PM
pm1964
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 48. Trained TMA's of one sort or another since I was a little kid, but switched to judo at 30. I still do randori with college age guys. In terms of actualy training, I think that we older guys have a better knowledge of body mechanics than the younger guys, and so can avoid getting into spots that are too dangerous. That being said, I recently separated a shoulder taking falls for a guy, and was out of practice for almost 2 months. I am quicker to disengage in randori if I feel myself getting into a bad spot, and I do not hesitate to tap during ne waza if I need to.

Great thread.
12/12/12 2:58 PM
reelrook
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll be 41 in less than a month. I teach BJJ 4 days a week, and train at least two. I ride about 35 miles a week on my bike (to BJJ) and do body weight exercises every day (110 each of Pushups, situps, jumping jacks, squats etc.)

I still feel every bit of my age and I'm always tired. I just keep going and try to make sure I can do at least a little bit every day until I die.

I don't train with people who are out to tap me every time, and I try to roll slow and with maximum technique. I still get crushed occasionally by younger guys who have something to prove, but I'm not trying to win a gold medal every session. If I were, one or both of us would leave needing surgery. I don't wanna be that guy and I don't want to roll with that guy either. I want all of us to get better and keep on training.

Good luck.
12/12/12 4:00 PM
Mr Howard

armbarbarian - 51 years old here
BJJ 3-5x week
light standup sparring 1x week
Joint mobilizations every morning. especially with the 5lb clubbell
Glucosamine & Chondroitan
juicing
Post workout recovery stretch (most important

Oh, and bilateral hip resurfacing surgery.

I have always heard Clubbells are a lot of fun.  Would you mind sharing how you use them and the results?

12/12/12 4:02 PM
Master Bater

another awesome batch of replys, and every one of them spot on.

thanks for keeping this thread alive guy's i think there are many more "Oldies" on here that can benefit from all the advice being given -

i for one, even with so many years of experience behind me have already started putting much of the advice i have got on here into practice over the last 4 classes (2 days) and will continue to do it when i teach my advanced Black belts classes tomorrow in the double sessions. much of it i already did, but it never hurts to be reminded :)

much love to me fellow oldies
12/12/12 4:06 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
383 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

French Fries, could you link the hemp heart product ?

Good stuff here guys. All of it.

12/12/12 4:06 PM
vlucero
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

weight and age have killed me.. if i go hard one day i have to go real light the next.. sucks getting old.. 50 fights, years of wrestling 2 back surgeries.. has tore my old body apart..good luck,ive learned to pace myselfs but the young bucks are catching on too lol
12/12/12 4:29 PM
Master Bater

vlucero - weight and age have killed me.. if i go hard one day i have to go real light the next.. sucks getting old.. 50 fights, years of wrestling 2 back surgeries.. has tore my old body apart..good luck,ive learned to pace myselfs but the young bucks are catching on too lol

Huge respect to you Vince - that's an amazing amount of fights and also against some big names.

anything you can add to this thread will be greatly appreciated.
12/12/12 5:08 PM
madbanker
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YOGA! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.