UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Serious Question for older Martial Artists -

1/1/13 11:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
justAgrappler
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub. Phone Post
1/1/13 11:48 AM
SiuHung
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll be 43 next Monday. Training BJJ 2-4x per week, but have recently given up actively training Judo because of lingering injuries and limited time to workout.

I found that once I let go of the need to win every time, and gave myself permission to tap out without letting my ego get hurt made a huge difference. My focus is on technique and staying healthy, which includes adequate recovery time and being wise in my choice of training partners. Mostly I enjoy helping the newer and younger folks get better and also coaching them in competition.

Recently added riding a bike for much needed cardio and it's definatley making a difference with mu endurance.

Nice to see there's still some other mature guys out there hitting the gym and loving it!
1/2/13 9:21 AM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/2/13 11:18 AM
bhealthy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WAR OFTT!!!

1/2/13 11:19 AM
bhealthy

TTT
1/3/13 9:25 AM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

where is our OFTT badge??
1/4/13 8:18 PM
Blazing Knees

I want my stinking badge- I need it
1/4/13 10:12 PM
Shortkick
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the best thread I have read or posted in for quite awhile. It is great to know there are other guys around my age that have similar issues. Whether it is time constraints or Injuries etc..

You all have inspired me. Thank you Phone Post
1/5/13 11:02 AM
Master Bater

cheers my friend - you may come again :)
1/5/13 1:48 PM
bhealthy

we don need no stinking badjez
1/5/13 1:49 PM
bhealthy

dojo storm
1/5/13 1:56 PM
Master Bater

i cant believe with all the old farts in this thread that not one has the skills to mock us up an OFTT avatar/badge for our new group...

i think maybe we all think about it, and then need a lay down becasue it has tired us the fuck out :)
1/6/13 7:06 AM
Master Bater

ttt
1/6/13 12:05 PM
markus
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im 43...doing gjj 20 years.

10 minutes of stretching the legs and low back. hatha yoga stretches.

when sparring....only defend the mount, defend the side, defend your back, and play guard.

takes less energy to defend.
if you happen to get on top, check your breathing. the goal is to be on the mat for the entire class. play the clock. if your exhausted after 10 minutes....just defend.

in your 40's you dont have the stamina to attack guys in their 20's for an extended period of time. but you can absolutly defend for an extended period of time.
1/6/13 4:13 PM
MountainMedic
360 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Master Bater - i cant believe with all the old farts in this thread that not one has the skills to mock us up an OFTT avatar/badge for our new group...

i think maybe we all think about it, and then need a lay down becasue it has tired us the fuck out :)
OFTT
I like it Phone Post
1/6/13 4:33 PM
The Wizzle
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

back in for OFTT! We'll show those youngsters(wags finger).
1/6/13 5:44 PM
fayceofff
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Wizzle - back in for OFTT! We'll show those youngsters(wags finger).

I think you mean 'whippersnappers'. At our age we say 'whippersnappers'.
1/9/13 8:26 AM
Mr Howard
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/9/13 1:34 PM
Master Bater

^^ hahaha - Voted up sir
1/9/13 2:44 PM
mrgoodarmbar
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn....now that we've got a team name I'm in!
43...got my bb this past fall.

I used to be pretty dedicated to exercise and bjj training everyday, but I've got twin 2 year olds now. Time is scarce.

I just try to do everything pretty moderately....No supplements, no time for yoga. I have desk job...So I just try to get some light weightlifing in. I try to stretch pretty regularly. Just light stretching for the neck and lower back mostly. I hate cardio workouts like running, but I try to get some kind of cardio in every now and then and I generally try to eat fairly healthy no soda, desserts or frozen dinners.

I think it's about maintaining a happy mental state, whatever that entails, but still focused on improving yourself.
1/9/13 2:53 PM
UGCTT_5 for fighting
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seul - ttt (nothing to add, just interested in hearing what other's say).
. Phone Post
1/11/13 4:40 PM
fayceofff
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mrgoodarmbar - damn....now that we've got a team name I'm in!
43...got my bb this past fall.

I used to be pretty dedicated to exercise and bjj training everyday, but I've got twin 2 year olds now. Time is scarce.

I just try to do everything pretty moderately....No supplements, no time for yoga. I have desk job...So I just try to get some light weightlifing in. I try to stretch pretty regularly. Just light stretching for the neck and lower back mostly. I hate cardio workouts like running, but I try to get some kind of cardio in every now and then and I generally try to eat fairly healthy no soda, desserts or frozen dinners.

I think it's about maintaining a happy mental state, whatever that entails, but still focused on improving yourself.

Hope your twins are girls... Nothing like having 2 boys start thinking a couple hairs on their balls mean they might be able to whup the old man at almost age 60. The time I put one of my sons to sleep (standing arm triangle after he threw a punch and I slipped it) my wife had a FIT.
1/11/13 5:23 PM
Moke
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see some posts about chronic pain and quitting. I'll just offer this:

While I don't know your specific problems and scenarios, I have been remembering back lately about pain...I remember going through periods of chronic pain. Periods of up to 2 years at a time (or more) of sharp pain along with weakness, and generally being in a constant state of duller pain overall along with stiffness. I even had a few surgeries along the way including neck surgery.

What I realize now is, even though I'm older now than before (obviously), I'm now in relatively little pain and I actually have very little problems with stiffness these days. In fact I'm thinking about cranking things up a notch this year (training-wise). Much of my chronic pain was when I was in my supposed physical prime (30's). Yet here I am on the other side feeling way better than back then.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, pain, even chronic pain, isn't necessarily permanent and is likely a phase. Your body may eventually adapt, or more likely you'll become more and more aware of what to do and not do to keep nagging pain and stiffness away. You discover little things that work incredibly well for you. If you're thinking about quitting, think twice.
1/11/13 8:40 PM
Master Bater

agreed... the strange thing with me is that one day i will train like a nutter and be totally fine... then another day i will feel like total death?? where as when younger i could just stick any kind of hard session behind me, BUT when i really over trained i would know the pain was coming... nowadays there is no rhyme or reason? no pattern that i can put my finger on? i can do the same session on 2 different occasions and have a totally different reaction to the training each time the next day??

i guess a lot of things have to be taken into account like, how much sleep i had? when did i eat? what did i eat?? but it is SO random that i still cant find a pattern to it?
1/11/13 8:54 PM
Moke
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's likely exactly that...how much sleep and what you've been eating. However, lots of times those kinds of things lag, so you can't say, well I slept good last night therefore I will perform awesome tonight. And inversely, lack of sleep can take time to affect you. You might've have only a few hours sleep the night before and go to class assuming you're going to get smashed, and in fact you perform great.

Effects can lag and have their own schedule of accumulation. So it's the OVERALL amount and quality of sleep and food that is going to count in general. Day to day is too micro and cannot really be anticipated or predicted, performance-wise.

The main thing is to keep the sleep and diet as good and consistent as possible to minimize problem days, but more importantly, to allow you to continue training and maintaining.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.