UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Interesting Shogun Stat from Saturday

12/10/12 10:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shogun threw 105 total strikes, and 95 were significant strike attempts! I think this shows 2 things.

He is throwing everything into every strike from the beginning of the fight, no pacing himself. I believe this is why we are seeing him gas.

It also shows he isn't doing any jabbing or other "feelers" to set up his big strikes, which is why he is having trouble landing his really big strikes consistently. He didn't give his opponents enough to worry about to land the big strikes, and it made the difference against Gustaffson on Saturday. Phone Post
12/10/12 10:14 AM
T Bag
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His boxing is really sub-par.
He has no movement (footwork or head) and he just wings these wild overhands all the time. Technically, he's being left behind by the top of the LHW class.
12/10/12 10:22 AM
MediumRareMistake
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ya he should set shit up more. he was telegraphing everything saturday night. Also should've utilized more leg kicks to chop that lanky tree down. Easy to say from my couch but I want to see him do better.

12/10/12 10:26 AM
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whats a decent ration of non-sgnificant to significant? 2:1? 3:1?

12/10/12 10:47 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cycklops -

Whats a decent ration of non-sgnificant to significant? 2:1? 3:1?

I don't know enough about striking to really answer this. Probably depends on the fighter. In Shogun's case Saturday, it seemed pretty apparent that he really could have used some setups to land some inside strikes on Gustaffason.

When he would finally just run and leap in because the strikes weren't working he'd get taken down. I'm not trying to put Shogun down though, along with Nog he's the toughest fighter I've ever seen and can beat people with pure heart. Phone Post
12/10/12 11:40 AM
per
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Shogun's defense I must say he was landing that consistently and Gustafsson was hit good a few times. So it was not like he was just punching air for 15 minutes.

Like Crocop, Shogun has put away dozens of opponents with his walk-them-down, land-accurate-power-shots style, it has worked very well over the years and with it he took the UFC belt from uber-technical Lyoto Machida not too long ago. But when it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I think he needs to change his striking methods if he wants to be in the championship discussion again because even if he bleeds his way to another title shot somehow his approach will be just another very easy night for Jones.

As for Gustafsson, as much as I root for him, he didn't really look like he would be able to hurt Jones either...... Maybe it is best if he gets a couple more fights.
12/10/12 11:48 AM
orcus

It's still shocking to me that he beat Lyoto.

12/10/12 11:51 AM
ufc98newb
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

It's still shocking to me that he beat Lyoto.

impressive ko for sure, gotta wonder how that fight goes if he doesn't get the knockout

12/10/12 11:57 AM
Lazer MMA

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Shogun threw 105 total strikes, and 95 were significant strike attempts! I think this shows 2 things.

He is throwing everything into every strike from the beginning of the fight, no pacing himself. I believe this is why we are seeing him gas.

It also shows he isn't doing any jabbing or other "feelers" to set up his big strikes, which is why he is having trouble landing his really big strikes consistently. He didn't give his opponents enough to worry about to land the big strikes, and it made the difference against Gustaffson on Saturday. Phone Post

dude he did more than just test Gus' chin, I was a amazed he did not drop him or at least stagger him badly! He hit him hard and clean with overhand rights a few times.

Gus has a real good chin. Shogun looked good until he was hurt no question, he was just expecting to finish Gus which was prevented by a great chin. No shame at all at the attempt by Shogun.
12/10/12 12:14 PM
SuperMannyFraker
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It seems like his only really setup punch to get inside is a left hook, that he kind of wings. He is significantly slower and less dynamic due to the years of wars and multiple knee surgeries.
12/10/12 12:17 PM
1800champagne

Stand and Wang Phone Post
12/10/12 12:23 PM
lildragonof
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should go back to Raphael C. Phone Post
12/10/12 12:23 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

Lazer MMA -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Shogun threw 105 total strikes, and 95 were significant strike attempts! I think this shows 2 things.

dude he did more than just test Gus' chin, I was a amazed he did not drop him or at least stagger him badly! He hit him hard and clean with overhand rights a few times.

Gus has a real good chin. Shogun looked good until he was hurt no question, he was just expecting to finish Gus which was prevented by a great chin. No shame at all at the attempt by Shogun.
I wasn't trying to say he wasn't able to land anything, he did crack Gustaffson a couple times. Just not consistently enough to win. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.