UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rousey right: Sex good for sports performance

12/10/12 12:15 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
913 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

There is an old rule in boxing that fighters should avoid sex during training camp.

The edict was summed up on screen when Rocky's trainer Mickey Goldmill rasps out "WOMEN WEAKEN LEGS."

Incidentally, the Mickey character was based on Rocky Marciano's trainer Charley Goldman, a real life colorful, brilliant, Jewish bantamweight known for tieing a fighters feet together with string.

A deep thinker even older than Mickey offered a similar sentiment:
"Olympic competitors before races should avoid sexual intimacy."
-Plato, 444 B.C

UFC women's Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey disagreed during a recent appearance on the JIM Rome show.

“For girls it raises your testosterone," explained Rousey. "so I try to have as much sex as possible before I fight actually. Not with like everybody, I don’t put out like a Craigslist ad or anything, but if I got a steady I’m going to be like ‘yo, fight time’s coming up’."

"A lot of the studies that I've read about it have not really substantiated the claim that if you abstain from having sex for that long that it actually raises your testosterone; you actually might start producing less. I think, it's like, you can't go [beep beep] somebody that day."

Rousey is right; ESPNW breaks down the science.

A study from Georgia State University's Department of Psychology sides with Rousey, stating that testosterone levels in both males and females "increased across the evening when there was intercourse and decreased when there was none."

Emmanuele A. Jannini, a professor of endocrinology at the University of L'Aquila in Italy, agrees. He says sex stimulates the production of testosterone, thus boosting aggression.

"After three months without sex, which is not so uncommon for some athletes, testosterone dramatically drops to levels close to children's levels," Jannini said. "Do you think this may be useful for a boxer?"

The fine folks at the Cardiology Center and Medical Policlinics at University Hospital in Geneva, Switzerland, seem to agree. Their study on male athletes reported "sexual activity had no detrimental influence on the maximal workload achieved," but "the recovery capacity of an athlete could be affected if he had sexual intercourse approximately two hours before a competition event."

There are no studies yet that can accurately predict the psychological effects of pregfight sex. It may be different for every athlete. One might lose focus if she hits the sheets too close to fight time; another may be more relaxed and confident after some quality time with a special friend.

If Rousey's perfect 6-0 record in MMA is any indication, she's got it all figured out. She and her male counterparts should be just fine as long as they don't kick it too close to kickoff, suffer any sex-related injuries or spend all night at the bar looking for a suitable partner.

As Hall of Fame outfielder and manager Casey Stengel once famously said, "Being with a woman all night never hurt no professional baseball player. It's staying up all night looking for a woman that does him in."

Read entire article...

12/10/12 1:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BigBlack23
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I WILL BE YOUR "STEADY"!!!!
12/10/12 1:28 PM
Prikaza
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd gladly help her prepare for her fights and I'm not talking about holding pads... Phone Post
12/10/12 1:29 PM
WestCoastMXC

Love her as a fighter but I think she should keep her mouth shut she sounds like a idiot. Phone Post
12/10/12 1:29 PM
Loser Born Natural
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

uh-huh.

12/10/12 1:34 PM
InspiritMick

Prikaza -  I'd gladly help her prepare for her fights and I'm not talking about holding pads... Phone Post

Thanks for clearing that up, I assumed immediatley you were talking about holding pads......

12/10/12 1:38 PM
Prikaza

InspiritMick -
Prikaza -  I'd gladly help her prepare for her fights and I'm not talking about holding pads... Phone Post

Thanks for clearing that up, I assumed immediatley you were talking about holding pads......

You're welcome buddy. Would hate it if you guys got all confused and shit. Phone Post
12/10/12 2:09 PM
kevsh
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you think she's annoying and over-exposed now just wait until the weeks leading up to UFC 157 ... Get ready for Rousey, 24x7 on any and every MMA web site/blog/tv show. Oh the humanity ...
12/10/12 2:14 PM
GarlicSauce

I wish we could bring back Gina to add a little class to WMMA.
12/10/12 3:00 PM
UGCTT_mofit
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/10/12 3:05 PM
flowwiththego
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd be her slam peice. Phone Post
12/10/12 3:36 PM
Krs10KO.com
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Billy Joe Rottoncrotch - Does masturbation count?

If so I would be the UFC heavyweight champion.
The thought of someone w that screen name masturbating is disturbing. Phone Post
12/10/12 3:52 PM
RICKYB
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmm wonder what angle there gonna use to market her to a new crowd. Phone Post
12/10/12 5:05 PM
VincentKennedyMcmahon

Trish Stratus elevated my T levels every Monday Night..

We even made a Video of it dubbed Monday Night RAW:Summerslam edition.
12/10/12 5:28 PM
Vril

I wish more female athletes thought that.

12/10/12 5:32 PM
DanTheWolfman

U want no lactic acid in your legs....lots of sex up to and including two days out (though not crazy stuff two days out) and receive oral the night before to relax.

That is my recommended approach

What was Vitor doing in that trailer before Randy kicked his butt????
12/10/12 5:38 PM
BRZ

DanTheWolfman - U want no lactic acid in your legs....lots of sex up to and including two days out (though not crazy stuff two days out) and receive oral the night before to relax.

That is my recommended approach

What was Vitor doing in that trailer before Randy kicked his butt????
Probably licking a woman's feet. Phone Post
12/10/12 6:38 PM
GroundStPound

4l Phone Post
12/10/12 7:04 PM
PrettyBoy
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Billy Joe Rottoncrotch - Does masturbation count?

If so I would be the UFC heavyweight champion.
Lol /Thread Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.