UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Benson: I'm not ashamed to put my faith out there

12/10/12 5:02 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Christianpost.com recently did a piece on Benson Henderson, and his faith, as expressed immediately following his win over Nate Diaz at UFC on FOX 5 Saurday night.

Before answering any questions for UFC commentator Joe Rogan during his post-fight interview inside the cage at Seattle's KeyArena, the outspoken Christian fighter took a moment to acknowledge God by quoting the Book of Philippians.

"'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.' Can I get an amen?" said Henderson to the sold-out crowd of over 14,000 people.

After retaining his title in what Rogan described as "arguably the most talent-rich division in the UFC," the outspoken Christian fighter took a moment to share the emotional weight he carried throughout the competition.

Henderson dedicated his performance to his teammates, Victor and Yaotzin Meza, whose mother is currently battling lymphoma cancer. He also fought for his business partner, Joe Ervin, whose teenage son passed away just last week in a hiking accident.

"Fighting's cool. I love this guys, thank you guys for all of the support. Seattle, I love you, but fighting is just a small part," Henderson told the crowd. "There's a lot more to life, guys. There's a lot more to life. Hug on your loved ones, cherish them. These moments we have together, they're a lot shorter than you think."

At the post fight press conference when asked if there was a conflict between his religion and "beating somebody in the face," Henderson said he doesn't see a conflict between his faith and competing in the sport of mixed martial arts.

"For me it's more of just a daily walk. It's what I do every day, it's not really about putting on a show ... It's about your daily walk with the Lord, and I'm not ashamed to wear it on my sleeve," he said. "I'm not ashamed to put it out there. Another thing: I'm an emotional fighter, I'm an emotional guy. That's what helps me get worked up in the right mental frame to go inside the octagon and try and beat somebody up."

Read entire article...

12/10/12 5:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BenBJJ
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/10/12 5:11 PM
RayRaysFunhouse
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mma's Tebow is here.

I don't see the problem with his post-fight speeches. I think as long as he performs well, that's all mma fans should be concerned with. Phone Post
12/10/12 5:13 PM
cheesesteak
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the 1 thing about Benson I don't care for. It's fine that he wants to believe in a carpenter that suffered and died on a cross so he can hurry up and get back to being #2 in command of the universe for eternity, but please don't fucking preach. We don't all want to believe fairytails of why we are on this spinning ball in space. JESUS (pun intended)
12/10/12 5:15 PM
Kirik
1835 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Benson Henderson's public faith is going to bring a lot of fans to the sport.

12/10/12 5:17 PM
The Mouth
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

I find that requisite to be ridiculous.

What I find even more funny... is when I debunk Christian Faith to a Christian and they tell me I'm wrong and I'm going to hell.

Isn't Christianity about acceptance?

Every devout in ANY religion across the board is a hypocrite.

12/10/12 5:21 PM
cheesesteak
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

Kirik, are you serious? And if so, why do you think that? I don't think football fans watch football to hear the winning team quarterback congratulate jesus, do you?
12/10/12 5:21 PM
91W209
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't feel as he is preaching when he thanks god after a performance. He can believe what he wants. It has no effect on me whatsoever. He is a great fighter and he seems happy. Why would that bother anyone? Phone Post
12/10/12 5:23 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why do atheists get so mad at such a display by an athlete?

Why is it a man who shows his faith garners more shit than a wannabe gangster failing drug tests and flashing the middle finger?

Why is it so damned bad for a guy to be good regardless of what YOU believe?

I don't care what Benson's religion is but I do know he is a talented fighter who makes weight, passes drug screens, fights hard and brings no shame upon the sport nor does he insult me as a fan buying a ticket, PPV or taking my time to watch.

Pray to what you want.

I pray we have more guys like Benson Henderson and less stories of guys pissing holes through the cup, assaulting females or skipping fights with injuries constantly.

If you don't believe in what he speaks, you won't be converted by listening.

Why the worry?

Brock Lesnar wore Jack Link's on everything.

I hate beef jerky.

Do I like it or have to like it because they sponsored him?

No.

Why can we pay no mind to sponsors or rap sheets yet wish to tear apart guys while calling them "Tebow" as if that is on par with a slur.

Give me more guys like Tebow and less guys starring on ESPN's 'Broke' and in my police blotter and I'm a happy man regardless of who they pray to at night. Phone Post
12/10/12 5:29 PM
The Mouth

JeffersonDArcyChoke -  Why do atheists get so mad at such a display by an athlete?

Why is it a man who shows his faith garners more shit than a wannabe gangster failing drug tests and flashing the middle finger?

Why is it so damned bad for a guy to be good regardless of what YOU believe?

I don't care what Benson's religion is but I do know he is a talented fighter who makes weight, passes drug screens, fights hard and brings no shame upon the sport nor does he insult me as a fan buying a ticket, PPV or taking my time to watch.

Pray to what you want.

I pray we have more guys like Benson Henderson and less stories of guys pissing holes through the cup, assaulting females or skipping fights with injuries constantly.

If you don't believe in what he speaks, you won't be converted by listening.

Why the worry?

Brock Lesnar wore Jack Link's on everything.

I hate beef jerky.

Do I like it or have to like it because they sponsored him?

No.

Why can we pay no mind to sponsors or rap sheets yet wish to tear apart guys while calling them "Tebow" as if that is on par with a slur.

Give me more guys like Tebow and less guys starring on ESPN's 'Broke' and in my police blotter and I'm a happy man regardless of who they pray to at night. Phone Post

Maybe because it often comes off as forced?

I'm not an athiest for the record either...

However I don't think you need a microphone to thank God for much.

12/10/12 5:32 PM
logic672

superCalo - 

Benson has given the reason why he is so good, his faith, you can ignore the facts all you will, but hes laid it out there in black and white, its up too other fighters to follow the lord in equal triumph and glory if they want to atain his heights, if they wish to remain cool and non believing, then thats fine just dont expect to be champion, cause the champions got someone bigger and stronger behind him than mere mortals.

lol, you are a great troll but everybody knows you're a troll. You need a second screen name to post this stuff.
12/10/12 5:33 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak - This is the 1 thing about Benson I don't care for. It's fine that he wants to believe in a carpenter that suffered and died on a cross so he can hurry up and get back to being #2 in command of the universe for eternity, but please don't fucking preach. We don't all want to believe fairytails of why we are on this spinning ball in space. JESUS (pun intended)
So you hate when people state what they believe about God, or only when they disagree with yours? Phone Post
12/10/12 5:42 PM
BenBJJ
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/10/12 5:42 PM
Its cool... as long as he is consistent.

12/10/12 5:45 PM
Kanabull
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just want to see him thank Christ for giving Pettis the strength to showtime kick him in the face.
12/10/12 5:51 PM
cycklops
299 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't understand how it's 'preaching'. He has a belief. He gives thanks to his faith. Dude scraps, he's not curing science

12/10/12 5:52 PM
jscorbett
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a Benson fan for life!!! Can't wait to tell all my christian friends to support him.

(psssttt -- Kirik, you are correct once again)
12/10/12 5:54 PM
munsturrman28
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Mouth - 
Kirik - 

I find that requisite to be ridiculous.

What I find even more funny... is when I debunk Christian Faith to a Christian and they tell me I'm wrong and I'm going to hell.

Isn't Christianity about acceptance?

Every devout in ANY religion across the board is a hypocrite.

Yeah. You alone have the authority to "Debunk" an entire religion.

OK

Idiot.
12/10/12 5:57 PM
cheesesteak

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
cheesesteak - This is the 1 thing about Benson I don't care for. It's fine that he wants to believe in a carpenter that suffered and died on a cross so he can hurry up and get back to being #2 in command of the universe for eternity, but please don't fucking preach. We don't all want to believe fairytails of why we are on this spinning ball in space. JESUS (pun intended)
So you hate when people state what they believe about God, or only when they disagree with yours? Phone Post

Dude I don't have a god...I'm an highly evolved bacteria that came about by energy and chemicals reacting with each other over billions of years
12/10/12 5:58 PM
Drunkie
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the problem i have is the double standards. if a fighter wanted to thank budda, or allah, or said they wanted to thank there hard work and understanding that there is no god that forced them to work hard for himself people would be up in arms.

if you say there is no god that is offensive to people, yet those same people don't see how there preaching is offensive to others.

i don't push my faith on others i don't like others pushing it on me. i think it is disrespectful when bendo does it.
12/10/12 6:00 PM
HexRei

cycklops - 

I don't understand how it's 'preaching'. He has a belief. He gives thanks to his faith. Dude scraps, he's not curing science

what the hell is "curing science"?
12/10/12 6:02 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

Dude I don't have a god...I'm an highly evolved bacteria that came about by energy and chemicals reacting with each other over billions of years
Your believe that God does not exist. That is your belief, and you are stating it the same as Benson did. Phone Post
12/10/12 6:02 PM
Perfer Et Obdura
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well we all know how persecuted Christians are in this country, so I applaud Benson for having the guts to express his beliefs so openly.

12/10/12 6:03 PM
greentrousers
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just as long as he doesn't get preachy about it. he's a great fighter and i'm going to be a fan for a long time.

i'm a big fan of franklin and hughes and they carry their beliefs on their sleeves. that doesn't bother me.

12/10/12 6:06 PM
Batarnaque
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day.

And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning... and fire... and smoke... and torture... and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time........

But he loves you! He loves you... and he needs money!!!"

- George Carlin

I respect everyone's faith but thanking Jesus before anyone else seems, to me, kind of disrespectful to everyone he works daily with. Trainers, partners, etc... in a rational world where everyone realizes "god" really is "love" there's no need to thank some al encompassing entity that may or may not exist... but we're sooooooo far away from that as a civilization that I can't dislike him for it.
12/10/12 6:06 PM
munsturrman28
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drunkie - the problem i have is the double standards. if a fighter wanted to thank budda, or allah, or said they wanted to thank there hard work and understanding that there is no god that forced them to work hard for himself people would be up in arms.

if you say there is no god that is offensive to people, yet those same people don't see how there preaching is offensive to others.

i don't push my faith on others i don't like others pushing it on me. i think it is disrespectful when bendo does it.

I'm unsure how bendo is pushing it on you. Just a thought.

You were watching his fight by choice. You could have changed the channel once he was named the winner but you chose to watch his "after-fight" interview.

He wasn't speaking directly to you. Nor was he cornering you in a room forcing you to listen to his rhetoric. YOU willfully left the channel there.

So, please explain how bendo was "forcing" his faith on you when you were in your home (or the home of a friend) and had the option of watching or not watching.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.