UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hendricks: GSP trying to stay away from me

12/10/12 11:28 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
900 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"I think that he’s trying to stay away from me," he said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "What other reason is there? I tried to analyze it every which way. He said because [Diaz] talked trash. Who cares? I work out with guys that talk trash to me every day. People do talk trash and it’s all fun and games. Who cares what somebody says over the internet or to your face? You fight to prove your worthiness. That’s the way I look at it, and I feel I proved I can go with GSP, and that I should go with GSP, and here he is keeping me out of that."

What angers Hendricks the most is that while Diaz has been serving his suspension, he has fought twice against tip-top competition, beating Josh Koscheck and Martin Kampmann. And ultimately, his hard work and success may not matter.

"More or less, I thought my heart got ripped out of me," he said. "I go out there and I try to do so much to prove I am the one who should fight GSP and GSP takes it away from me. All it's doing is giving me more drive to want to fight him."

"We fight every day and we fight to be our best every night that we have a fight to get this chance," he said. "Here I am, I know I’m the no. 1 contender. I know this. So, anything less is not a disrespect to anybody else, but you see the end of the tunnel, and then someone sends you a curveball, to send you off route ..."

read entire article...

12/10/12 11:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
epwar
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/10/12 11:34 PM

I really feel for the guy.  Guys who actually accomplish impressive streaks must be pissed at what is going on now.  Of the top title contenders waiting, only Cain Velasquez is the one with a win streak (and that is only 1 fight after losing in 64 seconds).  How sad is that? Hendricks should just stay healthy and wait for GSP after he takes Diaz down for 5 rounds.  

12/10/12 11:38 PM
sgotwalks
660 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/10/12 11:38 PM

Ya, and Anderson is trying to stay away from Weideman............ooooor, maybe they are just interested in taking the biggest fights on the table after completely dominating their divisions for years.

12/10/12 11:41 PM
yellow wrkahlc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Billy Joe Rottoncrotch - This is the same script over and over and over again.

Fighter A gives interview implying that GSP is overrated and avoiding him.

Fighter A finally gets title fight against GSP.

Fighter A gets completely dominated by GSP.

Hendricks will be no different.

It will be different because it's not the same person, no one is the same person, you dumb fren.

OnlyTheStrongSurvive
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP is pretty smart to take the easier fight that's also will pay him more. Hendricks has a right to be upset and it's sad most fans aren't as well.

Place went nuts Chael got a title shot instead of Hendo, but seemed happy Diaz got it instead of Hendricks. Despite the fact Chael has better wins than Diaz and Hendricks last few wins have been better than Hendo's (for current rankings and talent, not name value).

What non champ in the entire UFC has wins like Fitch, Kos, and Kampmann consecutively? Phone Post
lifeaftrprison
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When will people (fighters too) realize the UFC is not an actual governing body with rankings. But a promotion company with dollar signs. Like it or not Hendricks V GsP is not a marketable fight on the level of Diaz v GSP. If Hendricks wants to be the man he needs to talk trash to the man non stop. Please see Chael Sonnen for example.

Until and if we ever get actual governing bodies we will not see deserving fighters get their shot , but popular fighters will. See Uriah Faber for example. Phone Post
rumble_fish
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Nick Diaz but I really can't agree that he deserves the shot over hendricks at this point in time.

Hell, Condit did less than hendricks and got a shot at the interim and got to wait for GSP bout.

Hendricks definitely getting the screwed.
12/10/12 11:42 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sgotwalks -

Ya, and Anderson is trying to stay away from Weideman............ooooor, maybe they are just interested in taking the biggest fights on the table after completely dominating their divisions for years.

I agree GSP isn't specifically trying to avoid Hendricks (his management most likely told him to say that), but he had done way more than Weidman has to demand a title shot. Phone Post
12/10/12 11:44 PM
yellow wrkahlc

Billy Joe Rottoncrotch - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

It will be different because it's not the same person, no one is the same person, you dumb fren.

Are you quoting Nietzsche?

TOS says not to use racial slurs.

12/10/12 11:45 PM
shb
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fights are billed as #1 contender fights so that people will watch them - it makes the fights seem more important. the reality is that there's no difference between a #1 contender fight and a regular ol' fight with no promotional bells and whistles attached. the only fights that are actually different are title fights
12/10/12 11:45 PM
SignsOfChaos
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boo Hoo

I understand Hendro is upset and he has a right to feel that way but stop crying about it to the media. There's unfinished business between GSP and Diaz that EVERYBODY wants to see go down. GSP is the current second longest serving champ who's been a great company man who's never asked for jack shit opponent wise.......he's earned it, he did it, suck it up and deal with it because he owes nobody anything.

Hendro will get his shot after Georges mauls Diaz which could likely happen in March or so. That's plenty early enough to get GSP vs Hendricks in before the year is out. Phone Post
12/10/12 11:54 PM
FedorEmilioEstevez
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AresSmashedPrahjuhdee - Hendricks vs Kampmann was for the #1 Contender no matter how you try to spin it, he has a right to be pissed.
I wish Dana would give up with titling bout that way - how many have turned out to be false?!

Just say x is fighting x to be come 'a' contender and not 'the no 1' contender and it would be fine. Phone Post
12/10/12 11:55 PM
yellow wrkahlc

Billy Joe Rottoncrotch - 
yellow wrkahlc - 
Billy Joe Rottoncrotch - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

The American Medical Association says not to smoke crack.

The American Medical Association doesn't control what I find in my mom's purse.

12/10/12 11:59 PM
Mexican Janitor
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diaz-GSP was already booked TWICE before Hendricks came into the picture. Kudos on his last KO but so tired of his fucking whining. Keep knocking mother fuckers out and you'll eventually get your shot...of all the WW GSP has faced in the prime of their career he's afraid of Hendricks? Lol Phone Post
12/11/12 12:02 AM
yellow wrkahlc

Billy Joe Rottoncrotch - 
yellow wrkahlc - 
Billy Joe Rottoncrotch - 
yellow wrkahlc - 
Billy Joe Rottoncrotch - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

The American Medical Association says not to smoke crack.

The American Medical Association doesn't control what I find in my mom's purse.

Stealing is a sin.

Especially when it's family.

You should apologize to your mom and offer to pay for her next bottle of gin.

I learned from watching you.

12/11/12 12:04 AM
FedorEmilioEstevez
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mexican Janitor - Diaz-GSP was already booked TWICE before Hendricks came into the picture. Kudos on his last KO but so tired of his fucking whining. Keep knocking mother fuckers out and you'll eventually get your shot...of all the WW GSP has faced in the prime of their career he's afraid of Hendricks? Lol Phone Post
And Nick fucked it up. Next in line please. Phone Post
12/11/12 12:06 AM
SupesUp
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just another fighter I really liked until he started to open his mouth.
That list is getting long. Phone Post
12/11/12 12:13 AM
SOO72

Edited: 12/11/12 12:13 AM
12/11/12 12:13 AM
SOO72

Mexican Janitor -  Diaz-GSP was already booked TWICE before Hendricks came into the picture. Kudos on his last KO but so tired of his fucking whining. Keep knocking mother fuckers out and you'll eventually get your shot...of all the WW GSP has faced in the prime of their career he's afraid of Hendricks? Lol Phone Post

The guy had sympathy on his side but he is rapidly whining that away. Should set up him vs Rory next.
12/11/12 12:40 AM
FinestScotch

Sucks for Hendricks, yes, but GSP has earned the right to fight someone he genuinely dislikes.

Also, it's a bigger $ fight. It is what it is.

12/11/12 5:15 AM
stonepony

Georges isn't afraid of anybody... I don't think those kinds of champions are capable of being intimidated by another human being. But. Yeah. Nick is a much safer fight than Hendricks. Much safer. Georges will probably beat them both, but Johnny is the one with that chance to land that one shot.
12/11/12 6:30 AM
ufcman187

Someone needs to shake Joe Silva and Dana and explain to them they have rankings for a reason. I think GSP beats Hendricks or Diaz, but still think it should go to the man who's been playing the game correctly and fighting, not the man who lost his last fight and has been on the shelf due to suspension for a year. Then again, we watched Bonnar fight Anderson so who knows
12/11/12 6:33 AM
6ULDV8
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everybody from 170 to 205 wants a shot at GSP.  

After Diaz, Sonnen should get the next shot, then Silva, then Bones and then Hendricks.

12/11/12 6:34 AM
6ULDV8
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unless BJ throws his hat in the ring, then BJ after Sonnen but before Bones, then Hendricks.

Oh, I forgot about Faber though.

12/11/12 8:38 AM
LiftStrong
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"You fight to prove your worthiness. "

You said it Johnny. It sucks, because he has put together a great string of wins but quit throwing yourself a pity party. GSP will fight Diaz and then Anderson.

This Hendricks situation reminds me a bit of Sokodjou. Two quick KO's over talented fighters very early in the fights got the hype train going. But against better strikers (Glover, Machida) he was exposed. Not trying to take anything away from him, just feels like a similar situation.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.