UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rousey signed to 8-fight deal with UFC

12/10/12 11:47 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1032 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"I don't know how the whole women's thing is going to go, how it's going to go over, or what it's going to do," UFC President Dana White told USA TODAY Sports. "She's the only title fight on that card, but that card is going to be stacked."

After signing with the promotion this past month, Rousey, a former Strikeforce champ and Olympic bronze medalist in judo, accepted the UFC women's bantamweight title at this past week's UFC on FOX 5 pre-event press conference. Her presence created a stir among the media in attendance, with one reporter asking if she had a boyfriend.

"First time I've heard that question asked at a press conference," White said as the champ fielded questions.

Several minutes later, White was candid about his investment in Rousey, who's defeated nine consecutive opponents (amateur and pro) by first-round armbar. He said the 25-year-old fighter is the reason women will soon grace the octagon. She's signed to an eight-fight deal, which is double the number of many first-time male fighters.

read entire article...

12/10/12 11:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
yellow wrkahlc
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inb4peoplesayshe'sfuckingwithdfwjr.

12/10/12 11:50 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
770 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2nd

12/10/12 11:52 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fuck are they gonna find 8 legit contenders for her.. Phone Post
12/10/12 11:57 PM
Hessian
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

congrats, good for her
12/10/12 11:57 PM
kennybloggins
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. Cyborg
2. Marloes Coenen
3. Shayna Baszler
4. Alexis Davis
5. Sara McMann
6. Liz Carmouche
7. Miesha Tate
8. Cat Zingano
12/11/12 12:01 AM
SickEyeDiaz
385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kennybloggins - 1. Cyborg
2. Marloes Coenen
3. Shayna Baszler
4. Alexis Davis
5. Sara McMann
6. Liz Carmouche
7. Miesha Tate
8. Cat Zingano
1. First round armbar
2. First round armbar
3. First round armbar
4. First round armbar
5. First round armbar
6. First round armbar
7. First round armbar
8. First round armbar Phone Post
12/11/12 12:02 AM
Rawbass
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow!
12/11/12 12:03 AM
Hong Kong Phooey
770 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hessian - congrats, good for her

yep at least they signed the best

12/11/12 12:44 AM
Diazed And Confused
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cardio Kickboxing classes are going to blow up. Phone Post
12/11/12 1:18 AM
Size

Boy the Ronda haters are gonna foam at the mouth over this one. Lol

Good for Ronda! She's an amazing fighter and cool person.
12/11/12 1:21 AM
kinson

SickEyeDiaz -
kennybloggins - 1. Cyborg
2. Marloes Coenen
3. Shayna Baszler
4. Alexis Davis
5. Sara McMann
6. Liz Carmouche
7. Miesha Tate
8. Cat Zingano
1. First round armbar
2. First round armbar
3. First round armbar
4. First round armbar
5. First round armbar
6. First round armbar
7. First round armbar
8. First round armbar Phone Post
Funny.

Good for Ronda. Phone Post
12/11/12 1:26 AM
Neil McCauley

how much money do you think she makes off her 8 minutes of work? 10 million +?
12/11/12 1:29 AM
Authority Figure

There are plenty of contenders. Invicta routinely puts on good fights. Strikeforce put out some great women's fights as well.  Surely, the UFC can do the same. Especially since it has access to both talent pools. Throw in some former Olympians and Ronda will stay busy. 

12/11/12 1:31 AM
time traveling 12er
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well you have to remember the second she loses the contract is open for termination. But smart move on Zuffa to lock her down in case she gets super huge.
12/11/12 1:41 AM
Size

time traveling 12er - Well you have to remember the second she loses the contract is open for termination. But smart move on Zuffa to lock her down in case she gets super huge.

Well you never know what concessions were made on the Zuffa side for that contract length. You know Anderson's not angling for a 10 fight deal Zuffa can walk away from on one loss.
12/11/12 1:55 AM
michelleNrogersdumpsterbaby

Anyone else find it a little strange that Rousey says she likes to fuck like crazy when she has a fight coming up....n right after Dana signs her to a 8 fight deal....I see you baldy
12/11/12 1:57 AM
MachidasStraightLeft
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really can't think of 8 fights for Honda.  Good for her though.

12/11/12 2:03 AM
yellow's Overseer
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for Honda. Phone Post
12/11/12 2:12 AM
Silva vs Fedor
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome. She's an amazing fighter and never disapoints. By the way she was charging Sarah she looked very confident standing which makes me think her stand up is improving. Can't wait to see her career unfold further, really hope she doesn't give up fighting for movies, but it's her life.

Hearing that she signed an 8 fight deal put a big smile on myface.
12/11/12 2:41 AM
Ramone8
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have no idea what her aspirations are, and given the life circumstance she has already been through I find it improbable, but I would love to see Olympic Gold Medalist Kayla Harrison try her hand at MMA. Obviously given the size differential this is a bit of a pipe dream, but she is clearly talented, clearly motivated, and the best American Judoka we have seen. That is a significant weight differential though, so hopefully some other weight classes get going and Ronday vs. Kayla is our current Anderson Vs. Gsp/Anderson vs. Bones mess but in a women's division.

Good luck to all of the women out there with current MMA aspirations as you become the ground-breakers in the sport.
12/11/12 7:05 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sending the wrong signal.......

The are giving Honda an eight deal fight contract and basically are not even talking about signing other fighters.The way they approach this whole thing delegitimizes the whole concept of woman MMA as a sport. The present it as this freakshow event where the strongest meanest woman on the planet will fight random ''faceless'' challengers.

I understand the reality of MMA being a business. I understand that Honda has more market potential the all the other female fighters. But i personally still sort of think woman MMA is not nearly professional enough to be even be compared to male dominanted MMA.

Of course you have to start someone. But i do feel that approaching things like the UFC of old (Gracie basically beating everybody with his new type of fighting system) i a wholly out of date and a very dumb fucking move.

If you then give the title shot to an female fighter who is not even listed as top five in a very shallow talent pool you are basically opening yourself up to''serving'' up subpar opposition devaluing woman MMA even more.

Yes it is good i guess that  Honda opened doors. But they biased in the way they approach things making the potential for disaster dangerous and the accusations of bias just.

12/11/12 7:10 AM
Olive Garden Table For One
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The boyfriend question could be asked about plenty of male fighters. 

She's a star, she's going to be major. 

12/11/12 7:36 AM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum

12/11/12 7:55 AM
Mr Sponge

Carmouche
Baszler
Tate
Cyborg
Mcmann
Coenen
Davis
Carano Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.