UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rousey signed to 8-fight deal with UFC

12/11/12 8:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vincan469
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoomFarmer - 
UGCTT_SidRival - The fuck are they gonna find 8 legit contenders for her.. Phone Post
My immediate thought Phone Post

8 contenders that will make people buy the ppv? if she is headlining a card it will have to be a free one on tv or they are going to have to stack it.
12/11/12 9:27 AM
GelderdEnd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope some of these ladies learn armbar defence or this shit could get very predictable Phone Post
12/11/12 9:52 AM
Zed Wayne Zed
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really?

This is something I have ZERO interest in.

12/11/12 10:21 AM
BlueOnBlack
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fightharder - 

Sending the wrong signal.......

The are giving Honda an eight deal fight contract and basically are not even talking about signing other fighters.The way they approach this whole thing delegitimizes the whole concept of woman MMA as a sport. The present it as this freakshow event where the strongest meanest woman on the planet will fight random ''faceless'' challengers.

I understand the reality of MMA being a business. I understand that Honda has more market potential the all the other female fighters. But i personally still sort of think woman MMA is not nearly professional enough to be even be compared to male dominanted MMA.

Of course you have to start someone. But i do feel that approaching things like the UFC of old (Gracie basically beating everybody with his new type of fighting system) i a wholly out of date and a very dumb fucking move.

If you then give the title shot to an female fighter who is not even listed as top five in a very shallow talent pool you are basically opening yourself up to''serving'' up subpar opposition devaluing woman MMA even more.

Yes it is good i guess that  Honda opened doors. But they biased in the way they approach things making the potential for disaster dangerous and the accusations of bias just.

I said something similar a while ago but you put it much better than I did.

Basing an entire division around one female who needs to keep winning in order to keep the division alive is doing a disservice to WMMA as a whole.
12/11/12 10:58 AM
time traveling 12er
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Size - 
time traveling 12er - Well you have to remember the second she loses the contract is open for termination. But smart move on Zuffa to lock her down in case she gets super huge.

Well you never know what concessions were made on the Zuffa side for that contract length. You know Anderson's not angling for a 10 fight deal Zuffa can walk away from on one loss.

That's a good point. I have no doubt Anderson has some nice bonuses written in to his contract. Not sure about Rousey though since she really doesn't have any chances anywhere else that are anywhere close to what's being offered at the UFC.
12/11/12 11:02 AM
Jweinberg
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome... Congrats To Ronda... 

12/11/12 11:14 AM
Seats Taken
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fightharder -

Sending the wrong signal.......

The are giving Honda an eight deal fight contract and basically are not even talking about signing other fighters.The way they approach this whole thing delegitimizes the whole concept of woman MMA as a sport. The present it as this freakshow event where the strongest meanest woman on the planet will fight random ''faceless'' challengers.

I understand the reality of MMA being a business. I understand that Honda has more market potential the all the other female fighters. But i personally still sort of think woman MMA is not nearly professional enough to be even be compared to male dominanted MMA.

Of course you have to start someone. But i do feel that approaching things like the UFC of old (Gracie basically beating everybody with his new type of fighting system) i a wholly out of date and a very dumb fucking move.

If you then give the title shot to an female fighter who is not even listed as top five in a very shallow talent pool you are basically opening yourself up to''serving'' up subpar opposition devaluing woman MMA even more.

Yes it is good i guess that  Honda opened doors. But they biased in the way they approach things making the potential for disaster dangerous and the accusations of bias just.

This. They should have done something like they did when they created the Flyweights.

I'm not a Ronda hater at all, I'm a fan but just signing her giving her a belt and feeding her matches seems more like sideshow than a division. Also, what Tate said is kinda true with all the eggs in one basket. With this setup, one ugly 4-5 woman catches Ronda and WMMA is done. Phone Post
12/11/12 11:17 AM
Neil Funk

so.... what happens if Ronda loses to Carmouche?
12/11/12 11:20 AM
Kanabull

Does an eight fight contract mean that she could theoretically lose seven fights straight and they would not be able to cut her?
12/11/12 11:33 AM
Argo

UGCTT_SidRival -  The fuck are they gonna find 8 legit contenders for her.. Phone Post

Ya, like there are 8 legit contenders for AS, JBJ or JDS.

Arguably not 8 for GSP or Aldo.
12/11/12 11:39 AM
Argo

Good for Rhonda. Good for women's MMA. Those girls all fight with a passion missing from many a men's fight.

I do agree with a previous poster that Dana is doing it all wrong. He's after this one exploitation of Rousey and not a division. Hopefully the girls fights will show him the err of his ways.

I also believe the first fight should be a headliners of a fox card. Or co-main. Rousey's attraction right now serves the UFC best on FOX.
12/11/12 12:10 PM
Feesha

Argo - 
UGCTT_SidRival -  The fuck are they gonna find 8 legit contenders for her.. Phone Post

Ya, like there are 8 legit contenders for AS, JBJ or JDS.

Arguably not 8 for GSP or Aldo.

Exactly, the contenders list will evolve like any division. 8 fights at a quick pace is 2+ years, so the top contenders might not be known. Two years ago nobody would think of Weidman, Gustaffson, MacDonald, etc, as contenders. That being said, I see 8 potentially good fights from the talent pool we have now.

Lots of good points of view in this thread, I hope it all works out for the best for WMMA!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.