UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Hamstring Tear

12/11/12 4:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ItsTheFlash
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So last year I tore my hammy pretty badly. It's since felt better but I notice when I gym or squat it gets tight again.

I'm starting my AFL preseason I'm just wondering what I can do to avoid another injury?

Obviously warming up and stretching is key but any exercises? Tips? Phone Post
12/11/12 6:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bull neck
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1) Stop doing the things that annoy it. Do not stretch it. Stretching a tear just makes the tear bigger.

2) Realise that if you're feeling it during squats you aren't up to running. You need to spend more time on rehab.

3) If you tore your hamstring, as a guess, I'd say it's because something else isn't working right (barring it happening by accident such as falling down stairs or something). What that is it is hard to say by internet. I suggest getting an FMS screen then working on whatever correctives that shows and putting your pre-season on hold until it's not just pain free but bullet proof otherwise in a few months you'll just do it again.

For some background - I've torn mine too. Except I tore mine off the bone. That was in 2001. At the time it was the second worst hamstring repair done in Australia - far worse than Loyd and Silvani. While I'm not as fast as I used to be I'm also 41 so that is natural but last year broke all my PBs in clean, squat and snatch set when I was 28 and pre-hamstring tear.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.