UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Anyone bitching about Jon jones' reach still?

12/12/12 6:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
diggity
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Y'all don't know! Imma fuck all y'all up with my freaky shit long arms. Come at me bro.... Let me bang an I'll fuck you... I'll fuck you... I mean I'll fuck you... Progigy pro prodigy prodiggity oh fuck it, how can anyone seriously think he should go to heavy if he can still make weight, simply because he has long arms. Honestly, it hurts me to think there is that much stupid out there, sharing bedrooms and kissing first cousins.. Phone Post
12/12/12 6:29 AM
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Height 1.96 m (6 ft 5 in)
Weight 263 lb (119 kg; 18.8 st)
Division Heavyweight (2007–present)
Light Heavyweight (1999–2007)
Reach 80 in (203 cm)

I would LOVE to watch The Reem smash Jones.

12/12/12 7:04 AM
PatrickVilone

diggity -  Or benson vs Nate Diaz for that matter. Phone Post

nate didnt even box let alone use his range. He just watch bendo beat the fuck out of him the entire time. Hated it. I despise DW, remember how he was talking shit that Mayhem vs Bisping was the most one-sided fight in history? Yet Mayhem was actually swinging and trying but he was gassed. But nate diaz literally didnt do anything but give the finger and get beat up, but yet Diaz gets honor from delusional white
12/12/12 7:07 AM
PatrickVilone

Jones uses his reach better than any other fighter. Hard to compare Struve to Jones, even though they have same reach and all... Struve has a WAY different style than Jones
12/12/12 7:44 AM
diggity

PatrickVilone - Jones uses his reach better than any other fighter. Hard to compare Struve to Jones, even though they have same reach and all... Struve has a WAY different style than Jones
Agreed, what I'm saying is that it's pathetic to say his reach is unfair. Phone Post
12/12/12 8:54 AM
Leck Brosnar

Yep, only Jones haters say stupid shit like that. And Jones is too big for LHW too since he keeps destroying everyone, yet Bonnar, Tito, Gustafsson are not. Gustafsson apparently started cutting from 240lbs to fight Shogun but I don't hear any retards calling him too big and tall.
12/12/12 9:05 AM
Smith1234
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diggity please keep waging this battle. It is an uphill one because these ”reach” people just dont want Jon to be the best. So they say Shogun was coming off surgery, Machida won a round and Jons reach is unfair. Phone Post
12/12/12 9:11 AM
MattBFD
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did everyone on this board miss the thread in which JONES' STRIKING COACH was interviewed and said that his reach was one of his biggest weapons? HE MIGHT KNOW.

It doesn't mean he isn't talented. Phone Post
12/12/12 9:12 AM
RPBJJ
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JBJ is not my fav fighter but why are people complaining about his reach. Yeah its huge but whats he supposed to do? Rally for a long limb division?
12/12/12 9:12 AM
Aleck911
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

aluminum_rooster - diggity the only bitching is your op.

Jones is scared to go tp HW or he'd already be there.
No
He wants to beat Tito's record for title defenses then he will move up and beat his own LHW record at HW Phone Post
12/12/12 9:16 AM
AliBomaye

Stephan Bonnar Kyle kingsbury r gigantic. Jon just has freak talent and the intelligence to use his physical attributes to his benefit. Saying he's too big is ignorant. Bonnar is a giant 205er and got manhandled and clowned by Anderson. Size in a fight is what u make it. Diabate is 6'6 he's not winning any titles Phone Post
12/12/12 12:15 PM
orcus

"I would LOVE to watch The Reem smash Jones."

Reem at 205 -- the division Jones fights in and belongs in -- would get annihilated by Jones just like he got crushed by every other good LHW he ever fought.

12/12/12 12:24 PM
UGSlapshot

diggity -
PatrickVilone - Jones uses his reach better than any other fighter. Hard to compare Struve to Jones, even though they have same reach and all... Struve has a WAY different style than Jones
Agreed, what I'm saying is that it's pathetic to say his reach is unfair. Phone Post
I don't disagree, I just gave his reach state because it adds perspective and it was funny that we're talking about Jon's reach and dude gave reach stats on everyone but Jones because it is a monster advantage striking, its just not unfair.

I would personally be tickled pink if they could get a open weight class sanctioned. Phone Post
12/12/12 12:34 PM
FixedPartialArts

Have people bitched about it? They've just pointed out the fact that it's a built-in advantage.

What Jones has going for him that Struve doesn't is that he's not 7 feet tall. He's far from that height. He's 8 inches shorter. Struve's reach is proportional. Jones' reach is far from it. There is only a half inch difference between Struve's height and reach, with Jones it's 8 and a half. With that comes a much lower base to avoid takedowns with, and he doesn't have to be really skinny in his weight class to make him susceptible to punishment and it difficult to inflict his own.

Jones has pretty much the perfect dimensions to be a standout mixed martial artist. GSP is 5'10" with a 76" reach, 6 inches difference. Anderson is 6'2" with a 77.6" reach, a 3.6 inch difference. It helps to have disproportionately long arms, so long as you're not skinny for your division. Anderson wasn't the same fighter at 170. Skinny fighters don't kick ass, you don't say. Struve keeps on getting better as he fills out.
12/12/12 1:21 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

His overall size relative to his division is BY FAR the largest gap of any of the current or recent champions in the UFC. That is just factual, not bitching.

12/12/12 1:27 PM
NegoVeio

12/12/12 1:31 PM
suess
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

His overall size relative to his division is BY FAR the largest gap of any of the current or recent champions in the UFC. That is just factual, not bitching.

so?  

he hasn't missed weight, i have no problem with him at LHW.  reach or not, if he wasn't skilled he wouldn't be champ.  

12/12/12 5:23 PM
diggity

NegoVeio -

Thesis awesome! Changing if the garb! Phone Post
12/12/12 5:27 PM
diggity

suess -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

so?  

he hasn't missed weight, i have no problem with him at LHW.  reach or not, if he wasn't skilled he wouldn't be champ.  

This is really the definitive argument. Phone Post
12/12/12 5:34 PM
ChaosOverkill
573 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kostakio -  No diggity! Phone Post

lol on point vu

12/12/12 5:49 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

suess - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

so?  

So nothing. Just stating the facts. There was no bias in my post, and I never said anything about a "problem".

12/12/12 5:57 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Edited: 12/12/12 5:59 PM

There are a few guys who always have that one advantage over their division. Tall fighters, massive weight cutters, guys with abnormal strength etc...

Never has a UFC champion that I recall had such an advantage in all aspects of size as Jones has enjoyed. (maybe Timmay?) Yes he is skilled. VERY skilled. I don't ever question how talented he is. Anyone with eyes can see it.

That said can the people on the OP's side of the argument not see that to SOME people, when discussing P4P or Jones' accomplishments compared to other legends, that size advantage plays a role?

I am not one to say idiotic things like "If not for his size he would suck" or that he would not be an amazing fighter even without it. However, when I am looking at P4P in my mind, or when I am comparing what he has accomplished to a GSP/Anderson/Fedor type of legend, I cannot help but factor his physical advantage over the LHW division into it.

Yes, even at HW he would still have that reach, but at least the weights and heights would be closer. There are only a rare handful of 220-230 fighters in the LHW division. The best HWs would only have 10lbs or so on a Jones that knew he was moving up. The heights would be closer as would the reaches.

Just my opinion on the whole size thing.

12/12/12 7:11 PM
diggity

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

There are a few guys who always have that one advantage over their division. Tall fighters, massive weight cutters, guys with abnormal strength etc...

Never has a UFC champion that I recall had such an advantage in all aspects of size as Jones has enjoyed. (maybe Timmay?) Yes he is skilled. VERY skilled. I don't ever question how talented he is. Anyone with eyes can see it.

That said can the people on the OP's side of the argument not see that to SOME people, when discussing P4P or Jones' accomplishments compared to other legends, that size advantage plays a role?

I am not one to say idiotic things like "If not for his size he would suck" or that he would not be an amazing fighter even without it. However, when I am looking at P4P in my mind, or when I am comparing what he has accomplished to a GSP/Anderson/Fedor type of legend, I cannot help but factor his physical advantage over the LHW division into it.

Yes, even at HW he would still have that reach, but at least the weights and heights would be closer. There are only a rare handful of 220-230 fighters in the LHW division. The best HWs would only have 10lbs or so on a Jones that knew he was moving up. The heights would be closer as would the reaches.

Just my opinion on the whole size thing.

Dude, you're unusual in this debate in that you have a sane and reasoned argument. It's not even you or your argument that I have a problem with. It's the whiny turds that say it's unfair or that he's scared to go to hw or that the ONLY reason he wins is his reach.... As we've established there are plenty of 'long' fighters that don't do as well. Eg the dude that just beat homonick.
Thanks for actually contributing tho man, much appreciated. Phone Post
12/12/12 7:14 PM
diggity

ChaosOverkill -
Kostakio -  No diggity! Phone Post

lol on point vu

Yes, it was brilliant. Hats off. Phone Post
12/12/12 7:18 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

^^^ Hey, just thought I would let you know that there are some of us who look at it rationally. I bet many of those idiots, if they sat down and thought about it before they posted, would be on the same exact page as I am. Hiding behind a keyboard frees them up to take it to an irrational and shitty level. :)

I knew that your OP was not aimed at a poster like myself. Suess and I have gone back and forth on "size" many many times so I thought I would just throw my thoughts out there for everyone in this thread to see, wondering if it made sense.

Jones is a beast, and haters gonna hate. I would really like to see him move up to HW, but in the age of weight cutting I cannot blame him for fighting at LHW as long as his body allows it.

Cheers :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.