UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Anyone bitching about Jon jones' reach still?

12/13/12 1:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

suess - 

you never posted shit like that in a GSP vs Andy size difference and Andy vs JBJ size difference?  lol ok!  

yes, me posting in this thread when it jumped to the top of my sub list = i care about reach advantage.  hahaha

I have never done an average of all their OPPONENTS compared to them. Sure we all have seen Bones vs Andy vs GSP, but that's not what this is. Oops.

You knew exactly what this thread was about, it says "REACH" right in the title....yet here you are "not caring".

hahahaha

12/13/12 1:55 PM
suess
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

suess - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

His overall size relative to his division is BY FAR the largest gap of any of the current or recent champions in the UFC. That is just factual, not bitching.

so?  

he hasn't missed weight, i have no problem with him at LHW.  reach or not, if he wasn't skilled he wouldn't be champ.  

this is my first post on the thread.  i obviously care so much about reach that i said this stuff.

oh wait, i don't have to care about something to discuss it.  i wonder if that's ok? 

12/13/12 2:02 PM
UGSlapshot

kevsh -
LilBrockonmychest - 
wreckker -  As a striker when u have 4 inches of reach And know how to use it its a big advantage.

Having reach advantage jones dones for a good striker is just a HUGE Advantage.

To hit somoeone at end of your shots And have 8-9 inches of space where he cant hit you means u can remain at a distance And safely smash

Jones is good all around And smart
BUT his reach is biggest weapon he has

I See it from striking for 25 years how key distance is while standing

A few inches matters when its nearly a foot on some opponets thats Like fighting you Lil brother And stifff arming his forehead while he swings at air. Phone Post

But like you said, knowing how to use it is what makes him good.  There is another thread out there that shows Nate Diaz has had an average 6"+ reach advantage over all of his UFC opponents but that didn't factor in 1 bit against Bendo, Gray, or Joe Daddy.  Corey Hill has an 80" reach and fought at LW.  Kendall Grove had a huge reach advantage over most MW's.  The fact that Jones knows how to use his reach is a testament to his skill.  These fighters need to factor that in and work on a gameplan to negate that advantage.  The problem with Jones is no one wants to get in close because they get tossed to the ground and then elbowed in their face.

All true but there is one big distinction between Nate at LW vs. JBJ at LHW: Lightweights like Bendo use their speed and agility to negate the size difference while for LHWs like Shogun it's just not an option.

The key to getting inside a guy like JBJ is speed and there are very few 205lb guys that can move like a Bendo, Edgar or Aldo.

So I would argue a significant height/reach advantage is much less important in lower weight classes than higher ones.
No they don't, they used superior grappling/wrestling to tie nate up and nullify his reach Randy Couture style. Phone Post
12/13/12 2:05 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

suess - 
suess - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

His overall size relative to his division is BY FAR the largest gap of any of the current or recent champions in the UFC. That is just factual, not bitching.

so?  

he hasn't missed weight, i have no problem with him at LHW.  reach or not, if he wasn't skilled he wouldn't be champ.  

this is my first post on the thread.  i obviously care so much about reach that i said this stuff.

oh wait, i don't have to care about something to discuss it.  i wonder if that's ok? 

Well now we can argue semantics I guess. If you didn't care at all, not even a little bit, you wouldn't have even clicked or posted at all. That post shows you care about the topic enough to voice your opinion that you don't care about Jones' reach. ;) The fact that you clicked on the thread shows you had at least a little bit of "care" on the subject. Enough to prompt you to click and voice your opinion.

After that first post you go on to ask questions of my opinions, so clearly you DO care a little bit.

12/13/12 2:07 PM
wreckker
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones is a great fighter without his reach

I know stirking And because he knows how to use that reach it is his biggest advantage.

To deal damage And take none back is most dominating safest way to victory

His REACH and knowing how to use it is the number one reason he can do that.

Add his wrestling good coaches focus he has alot of weapons.

Reach sets up so many ways for him to win And fighters have a hard time getting inside to do any damage.

As a fighter when sparring or in a Real fight when i have reach advantage i can pick guys apart from outside.

To have 4-10 inches on guys is just huge

I Like discussing Mma

But when thread starts in a stupid disprespectful way, op gonna get told quit. Being a troll And just say your point

People who start threads Like that just do it for attention.

Make a good thread topic And it will get responses. Phone Post
12/13/12 2:12 PM
suess
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
suess - 
suess - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

so?  

Well now we can argue semantics I guess. If you didn't care at all, not even a little bit, you wouldn't have even clicked or posted at all. That post shows you care about the topic enough to voice your opinion that you don't care about Jones' reach. ;) The fact that you clicked on the thread shows you had at least a little bit of "care" on the subject. Enough to prompt you to click and voice your opinion.

After that first post you go on to ask questions of my opinions, so clearly you DO care a little bit.

i think you're confused but i'm not going to continue this petty conversation.  

12/13/12 2:19 PM
suess

^bwahahaha

12/13/12 3:25 PM
ufcman187

JBJ vs Dhalism in a street fight. Dhalism wins via yoga flame !
12/13/12 3:27 PM
diggity

wreckker - Jones is a great fighter without his reach

I know stirking And because he knows how to use that reach it is his biggest advantage.

To deal damage And take none back is most dominating safest way to victory

His REACH and knowing how to use it is the number one reason he can do that.

Add his wrestling good coaches focus he has alot of weapons.

Reach sets up so many ways for him to win And fighters have a hard time getting inside to do any damage.

As a fighter when sparring or in a Real fight when i have reach advantage i can pick guys apart from outside.

To have 4-10 inches on guys is just huge

I Like discussing Mma

But when thread starts in a stupid disprespectful way, op gonna get told quit. Being a troll And just say your point

People who start threads Like that just do it for attention.

Make a good thread topic And it will get responses. Phone Post
Sigh..... Ok, whatever dude. Phone Post
12/13/12 3:27 PM
diggity

ufcman187 - JBJ vs Dhalism in a street fight. Dhalism wins via yoga flame !
Yes!!!! Phone Post
12/13/12 3:34 PM
BaraoKix

Its funny when you hear the UK fans whine over Jones having an unfair advantage with his reach but they all love Freakshow and he dwarfs everyone in his div.

I like watching both of them fight, btw
12/13/12 4:05 PM
diggity

wreckker - Oh yeah OP saying "keep it civil" when u say go watch rythmn gymnastics And our opinion are skid marks

Yeah Real civil

Struves defense was bad when ge fought Roy he doesnt knnow how to use that reach effectively yet

OP YOUR STILL A TROLL TARD
Now start wiping ur ass And quit making skid mark troll threads Phone Post
Holy shit man, honestly just chill would you? Are you seriously Internet shouting at me? Did you seriously type in capitals at me? If you don't like the premise of this thread the please just quietly go back to being awesome, go have a 'who has the longest arm' competition to see who the best fighter is. There has been reasoned and sensible discussion in the body of the thread. Seriously man, go find someone else to insult, we've all heard your opinion- reach is king. Tyson may disagree with you, maybe mark hunt would also disagree with you.... Ben henderson would disagree... Anyways man, I have no argument with you so please just relax with the keyboard shouting and insulting. Ok... 'Wreckker'? Phone Post
12/13/12 4:14 PM
kevsh
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LilBrockonmychest - 
kevsh - 
LilBrockonmychest - 
wreckker -  As a striker when u have 4 inches of reach And know how to use it its a big advantage.

To hit somoeone at end of your shots And have 8-9 inches of space where he cant hit you means u can remain at a distance And safely smash

A few inches matters when its nearly a foot on some opponets thats Like fighting you Lil brother And stifff arming his forehead while he swings at air. Phone Post

But like you said, knowing how to use it is what makes him good.  There is another thread out there that shows Nate Diaz has had an average 6"+ reach advantage over all of his UFC opponents but that didn't factor in 1 bit against Bendo, Gray, or Joe Daddy.  Corey Hill has an 80" reach and fought at LW.  Kendall Grove had a huge reach advantage over most MW's.  The fact that Jones knows how to use his reach is a testament to his skill.  These fighters need to factor that in and work on a gameplan to negate that advantage.  The problem with Jones is no one wants to get in close because they get tossed to the ground and then elbowed in their face.

All true but there is one big distinction between Nate at LW vs. JBJ at LHW: Lightweights like Bendo use their speed and agility to negate the size difference while for LHWs like Shogun it's just not an option.

The key to getting inside a guy like JBJ is speed and there are very few 205lb guys that can move like a Bendo, Edgar or Aldo.

So I would argue a significant height/reach advantage is much less important in lower weight classes than higher ones.

Why is utilizing speed and agility not an option for Shogun, Lyoto, Rashad, or any other LHW?  Or are you just saying that Jones is also very fast and agile?  If you are, then I guess you are saying why Jones is so good.

Oh no doubt Jones is great, I'm not trying to suggest otherwise. He uses his size and reach to it's maximum advantage and he's an incredibly agile athlete.

But clearly a guy the size of Bendo is far more explosive in terms of his ability to close distance than a Shogun or even Rashad. Look at a guy like Mighty Mouse who is even smaller. When's the last time you've seen LHW move like that?

It's not just speed, it's their agility - they have 50 less pounds on the LHWs. So clearly guys their size can get inside on a longer-reach fighter more easily than a 205er.
12/13/12 4:18 PM
UGSlapshot

kevsh -
LilBrockonmychest - 
kevsh - 
LilBrockonmychest - 

Why is utilizing speed and agility not an option for Shogun, Lyoto, Rashad, or any other LHW?  Or are you just saying that Jones is also very fast and agile?  If you are, then I guess you are saying why Jones is so good.

Oh no doubt Jones is great, I'm not trying to suggest otherwise. He uses his size and reach to it's maximum advantage and he's an incredibly agile athlete.

But clearly a guy the size of Bendo is far more explosive in terms of his ability to close distance than a Shogun or even Rashad. Look at a guy like Mighty Mouse who is even smaller. When's the last time you've seen LHW move like that?

It's not just speed, it's their agility - they have 50 less pounds on the LHWs. So clearly guys their size can get inside on a longer-reach fighter more easily than a 205er.
Guys like bendo aren't fighting guys Rua's size so the advantage you're speaking of doesn't exist because other fighters are the same size and are at least comparable. Phone Post
12/13/12 4:21 PM
diggity

UGSlapshot -
kevsh -
LilBrockonmychest - 
kevsh - 
LilBrockonmychest - 

Guys like bendo aren't fighting guys Rua's size so the advantage you're speaking of doesn't exist because other fighters are the same size and are at least comparable. Phone Post
Yes! Thank you slap shot! Phone Post
12/13/12 8:14 PM
Entreri

Meh, when Jones moves to HW, he will still be a wrecking machines.

Then the bitches will keep bitching and moaning. If only Jones fought Super HW's. :)
12/13/12 8:24 PM
diggity

FatLoser -
Entreri - Meh, when Jones moves to HW, he will still be a wrecking machines.

Then the bitches will keep bitching and moaning. If only Jones fought Super HW's. :)

Cain will ragdoll him
JDS will punch his head off
Overeem will knee his head inwards
Barnett will take a leg home as a trophy
Mir with break his arm

if Vitor Belfort had Mir or Barnetts mentality he would have broken jones's arm in their fight. he eased up and thus paid the price.
Your screen name says it all. Thanks for saving the rest of the world the trouble. Phone Post
12/13/12 9:01 PM
kevsh
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LilBrockonmychest - 
UGSlapshot - 
kevsh -
LilBrockonmychest - 
kevsh - 
LilBrockonmychest - 

Ya Kevsh...no offense but I don't see what you're getting at.  I agree and it's obvious that Shogun is not as fast and agile as Bendo, Frankie, nor Mighty Mouse but Jon Jones is not as fast and agile as those 3 either.  Bendo, Frankie, and Mighty Mouse are fighting against guys in their own weight classes and so is Shogun when he fights Jones.  It's all relative. 

Yes, you do get it. And it is all relative, but, Jones IS extremely agile for a guy his size. Couple that with long legs and huge reach and there isn't any LHW that is agile enough to counter that.

But perhaps the best way to make my point is if there were some hypothetical agility scale, based on the fighter's size:

Bendo may be an 8, while Nate a 6
Jones may be a 8, while Shogun a 4, Machida 7, Hendo 6
(not trying to be exact here, just a ballpark)

So you see the problem? The smaller guy is more agile in the first example (LW) while the larger guy is the more agile in the second (LHW).

So Jones is a nightmare to fight if you're a LHW because he's not only taller, has longer reach but he's quicker too. Until a highly talented LHW comes along that can match his size and/or agility he's probably going to stay the champ.
12/13/12 9:11 PM
diggity

kevsh -
LilBrockonmychest - 
UGSlapshot - 
kevsh -
LilBrockonmychest - 
kevsh - 
LilBrockonmychest - 

Ya Kevsh...no offense but I don't see what you're getting at.  I agree and it's obvious that Shogun is not as fast and agile as Bendo, Frankie, nor Mighty Mouse but Jon Jones is not as fast and agile as those 3 either.  Bendo, Frankie, and Mighty Mouse are fighting against guys in their own weight classes and so is Shogun when he fights Jones.  It's all relative. 

Yes, you do get it. And it is all relative, but, Jones IS extremely agile for a guy his size. Couple that with long legs and huge reach and there isn't any LHW that is agile enough to counter that.

But perhaps the best way to make my point is if there were some hypothetical agility scale, based on the fighter's size:

Bendo may be an 8, while Nate a 6
Jones may be a 8, while Shogun a 4, Machida 7, Hendo 6
(not trying to be exact here, just a ballpark)

So you see the problem? The smaller guy is more agile in the first example (LW) while the larger guy is the more agile in the second (LHW).

So Jones is a nightmare to fight if you're a LHW because he's not only taller, has longer reach but he's quicker too. Until a highly talented LHW comes along that can match his size and/or agility he's probably going to stay the champ.
Which brings us to the point of the thread.. His reach isn't unfair, it's everything else he brings as a fighter and an athlete that makes him such a formidable competitor. To suggest he's a coward for not fighting at heavyweight just yet is a redundant argument. He intends to move up once he's achieved what he wants to at LHW. Props to him.
And thanks for adding to the discussion. Phone Post
12/13/12 9:15 PM
diggity

FatLoser -
diggity -  Surely not...if so go watch Roy neksonvs struve... And then just shut up and go watch rhythmic gymnastics and stop staining the best sport on earth with your skid mark opinions. Phone Post

typical Jones fanboy.

even stevie wonder can see he has a SIZE advantage over his opponents.

OMG he threw a spinning back elbow he must be the GREATEST STANDUP FIGHTER EVA!!!!!!!

his skills are good but not great but his size is insurmountable at that weight class.

Struve is a bean pole as is the much trotted out Kendall Grove.

none of this matters because as soon as he is beaten al the JBJ fanboys will started suckling the sweaty balls of the next big thing.
For what it's worth, I'm a fanboy of most fighters, I've trained with a few and they are off the hook talented, I have nothing but admiration for their commitment to the sport and gratitude for the entertainment they provide. If you knew what these guys go thru to get where they are, and the huge risks they take just going to work each day... I would imagine you'd be far more respectful when discussing these athletes. We are witnessing a true changing of the garb in this doggy dog business. And for all intensive purposes it is we, the fan(boys) who are benefiting. So sit back, inhale a donut and enjoy the fights my fat friend. Phone Post
12/13/12 9:28 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Edited: 12/13/12 9:28 PM

^^^^ How can you possibly argue he does not have a size advantage at all?

Just because the divisions are seperated by weight, that does not mean that the other factors of size should not play a factor in an advantage a fighter has. Jones makes weight, and regains more than almost every opponent he has ever had, giving him a weight advantage over everyone he fights. Then he also enjoys an average of NINE inches of reach, and 2-3 inches of height. That's all 3 major components of "size" friend.

Bendo, and other champions tend to just have one facet of size as an advantage. Benson is heavy and strong, but not tall and not a reach advantage. GSP is heavy and strong with a slight reach but certainly not tall. Cruz is very big for the division like Jones, just not to that extreem.

Jones is the only Champion with a noticable advantage in every aspect of size over his division.

12/13/12 9:41 PM
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGSlapshot - 
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -
UGSlapshot - 
orcus - 

"I would LOVE to watch The Reem smash Jones."

Reem at 205 -- the division Jones fights in and belongs in -- would get annihilated by Jones just like he got crushed by every other good LHW he ever fought.

Yeah but The Reem was cutting way to much to make LHW, his natural weight is 260. Plus he must have been literally starving himself to stop his body from bulking up. The Reem at his true weight is way to much for JBJ. 

When you're wrong, your wrong and you sir are wrong.. Phone Post

You think current JBJ could beat current Reem? LMAO!

I think you don't have a clue and talk out your ass.

Reem isn't naturally a bulky guy, it took roids and a few years training to bulk him up.

At LHW he was skinny as hell and smaller than Jones, you posted he's naturally 240 LMFAO.

Oh and reem has given up a shit ton of hand speed and cardio for that bulk. He's also got maybe not a weak chin but its definitely touchable. So yeah I actually do think Jones would sock him up. Phone Post

Horse meat, and jones has zero KO power... Noobs :-/

12/13/12 11:15 PM
UGSlapshot

UGSlapshot - 
UGSlapshot - 
orcus - 

"I would LOVE to watch The Reem smash Jones."

Reem at 205 -- the division Jones fights in and belongs in -- would get annihilated by Jones just like he got crushed by every other good LHW he ever fought.

Yeah but The Reem was cutting way to much to make LHW, his natural weight is 260. Plus he must have been literally starving himself to stop his body from bulking up. The Reem at his true weight is way to much for JBJ. 

When you're wrong, your wrong and you sir are wrong.. Phone Post

You think current JBJ could beat current Reem? LMAO!

I think you don't have a clue and talk out your ass.

Reem isn't naturally a bulky guy, it took roids and a few years training to bulk him up.

At LHW he was skinny as hell and smaller than Jones, you posted he's naturally 240 LMFAO.

Oh and reem has given up a shit ton of hand speed and cardio for that bulk. He's also got maybe not a weak chin but its definitely touchable. So yeah I actually do think Jones would sock him up. Phone Post

Horse meat, and jones has zero KO power... Noobs :-/

Again you exaggerated your case which means we can't really take your opinions seriously.

Besides that I don't believe anyone attempted to make the case that he has above average power or at least I didn't so ...... Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.