UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Punk is punk and jazz is jazz

12/12/12 1:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
729 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/12/12 12:03 PM

So says James Blood Ulmer in song. He also says "Jazz Is the Teacher, Funk Is the Preacher".
Go listen to that.
And after that, listen to the live Screaming Headless Torsos live version of it.

But ... sadly embedding is disabled for this clip of jazz pianist Matthew Shipp talking about getting signed to Henry Rollins' vanity label. So I'll send those interested to listen to this interview clip, too:
http://youtu.be/19sWYT9FcFw
12/12/12 10:09 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've just been taught. And preached to, amen.
That documentary looks interesting, I hope it doesn't fall below the radar.

On a related note, I just pasted 'Screaming Headless Torso' into my document at work. Good times!
12/12/12 10:30 AM
Ali
729 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/12/12 10:36 AM
I hope that doesn't get you on some watch list DasBeaver.

There's an instrumentals record by that band, only they changed their name for that record to... wait for it... just "Headless Torsos".

The youtube video with Shipp was called "Matthew Shipp talks about Black Flag". Which is not what Matthew Shipp was talking about really. But I do remember Rollins' record label, Zero-Infinity was it? Re-released some things I'd been wanting (like Tom Verlaine's second record and especially The Monks "Black Monk Time"). Released some things that were otherwise too underground, too. And I didn't buy all that I wanted before it went belly-up. The taste in "jazz" was toward the more extreme sides of noisy. Shipp mentions Charles Gayle in that interview -- who was an interesting story, but mostly hard to listen to. (Even for me... and I like everything).

Apropos of very little, here's another "Embedding Disabled" Torsos performance, this time with (oft-considered "neo-con" trumpeter) Roy Hargrove: http://youtu.be/az-7-IUhti4
What's up with the disabling?

And here's some of my favorite Blood Ulmer (audio only), just so I can post something that doesn't require going off-site:

12/12/12 11:17 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bah, I'm only on contract for another two months.
In any other context, the guitar in that Torso video would be highly questionable!
Great stuff Ali, Black Rock was my introduction to Ulmer (thanks to you, I believe).
12/12/12 12:02 PM
Ali

Edited: 12/12/12 12:12 PM
That guitar is not quite what it looks like... the top neck is fretless, short scaled, with looser strings, so he can slide and play Arabic scalar chit. Because he was studying that (at the New School for Social Research, in NYC). Like that. It's not children-of-Page, too late.

And of course I totally got the "Punk is punk, jazz is jazz" song wrong, so this thread is making me feel sillier. I think that's Love Have 2 Faces (?). Which is a killing song from Black Rock. And now I've totally gone random.

Well... here's the slow blues version of "Jazz is the Teacher..." with Shannon Jackson and Jamalaadeen Tacuma.

And the original rave-up with larger forces.

I started this thread because of the Matthew Shipp interview segment. Sigh.
12/12/12 4:53 PM
hugomma
1008 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WIll check this out later, thanks Ali.

12/13/12 11:38 AM
DasBeaver

Punk is Punk, Jazz is Jazz is a much better title - it speaks to me much more personally. I still like the original the best, though the slowed down version is pretty cool.
12/13/12 11:45 AM
Ali

I think the original is way better. But I like the recasting just as recasting, and the occasional blurt of blues licks. And I just like those three guys together -- other tunes (including "Night Blues") from the same show I liked more. But the original JBU record is like whiskers on fucking kittens, man.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.