UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mousasi:I Don't Believe I Ever Trained for a fight

12/12/12 12:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lobo8
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I was overstrained, not motivated, not training well. I think that had something to do with it. This year-layoff got me hungry again and I'm training really good now. I think, it was good (the layoff), I'm making it a positive thing. I was just fighting. I won the belt in DREAM, I won the belt in Strikeforce, every fight was just a fight, it wasn't something special, it just was getting in the ring and fighting. I didn't have a lot of motivation the last couple of years, but, I'm really excited to fight and with the idea after this fight maybe I can go to the UFC, so that is very motivating and I am training really well for this fight. Now, I have coaches and sparring partners. I am doing now everything right. Maybe this sounds weird, but, I don't believe I ever trained for a fight. Now, every day I am getting tired. I don't want to go to training. Back then, I used to run a little bit in the morning and do a little bit of sparring and when I would get tired, I would relax. Now, I have people that are pushing me every day and now I do feel like I am preparing for a fight. I f I go into this fight like how I am training now, I don't see how I can lose. I'm finally feeling that I finally training for a fight. I didn't know MMA fighting, was so difficult, training for a fight."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1440812-gegard-mousasi-i-dont-believe-i-ever-trained-for-a-fight

I cant believe this guy has never trained hard until now. By the looks of it he seems to have just been coasting in training. Hes only 27, has superb striking and has tons of experience. I cant wait to see him the Ufc!
12/12/12 12:29 PM
PhantomByte

You can tell. If a Jardine that takes the fight on a weeks notice and gasses in the first round can take you down at will you are doing something wrong. I cant wait to see him get smashed in the UFC by everyone with decent takedowns. He has maybe the worst takedown defense in the history of MMA
12/12/12 12:32 PM
in_different
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Typical. Guys with all the talent in the world don't have anyone telling them what to do and don't have it in them to learn how to be the best.

That is the simple difference between people like him and Anderson or GSP
12/12/12 12:34 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
553 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where is he training now? Phone Post
12/12/12 12:36 PM
Lobo8

PhantomByte - You can tell. If a Jardine that takes the fight on a weeks notice and gasses in the first round can take you down at will you are doing something wrong. I cant wait to see him get smashed in the UFC by everyone with decent takedowns. He has maybe the worst takedown defense in the history of MMA

I dont think his takedown defense will be to much of problem in the future. I bet hes been working on improving it. Mousasi also mentioned that he didnt give enough attention in fights to stuffing takedowns and would let himself be taken down top easily.
12/12/12 12:38 PM
Lobo8

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Where is he training now? Phone Post

Think he mentioned that he was still in netherlands
12/12/12 12:38 PM
PJ Benn Fan
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of my favorites but he really needs to kick it into gear ASAP

12/12/12 12:44 PM
Burt Reynoldz
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It sucks to see fighters Mousasi, BJ, and Masvidal have great natural ability slack off on the training.  The one thing every current UFC champion has is an insane work ethic.

12/12/12 12:55 PM
Lobo8

Burt Reynoldz - 

It sucks to see fighters Mousasi, BJ, and Masvidal have great natural ability slack off on the training.  The one thing every current UFC champion has is an insane work ethic.

So true. Just goes to show you how valuable work ethic is . mousasi also said he didnt have any real coaches before. A good coach is a must so that they can push you and bringout your full potential.
12/12/12 1:05 PM
rosario00

Such a cry for attention.. "I've never done anything right and look how far I've gotten.. Now that I'm training properly imagine what I can achieve.. UFC look at me" Phone Post
12/12/12 1:08 PM
Pat Giles
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PhantomByte - You can tell. If a Jardine that takes the fight on a weeks notice and gasses in the first round can take you down at will you are doing something wrong. I cant wait to see him get smashed in the UFC by everyone with decent takedowns. He has maybe the worst takedown defense in the history of MMA
He beat the fuck out of jardine. Takedowns or not, jardine looked like bj did after nick had his way with him. Phone Post
12/12/12 1:09 PM
rockwell
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10% inspiration.
90% perspiration.

Mousasi is already a beast but if he really has stepped up his training he might be a real problem. Phone Post
12/12/12 1:26 PM
madmav
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wasn't he a long time training partner of fedor & co. ??

12/12/12 1:28 PM
fasthandssam
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How could he have been "overstrained" if he had never trained for a fight?
12/12/12 1:31 PM
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So he's not training with his brother and a handful of others anymore?
12/12/12 1:32 PM
rockwell
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

madmav -

wasn't he a long time training partner of fedor & co. ??

Yeah I think he was at Red Devils for a good period. Phone Post
12/12/12 1:34 PM
StrikeforceSupporter

Mousasi SMASHES everyone @ 185 - including silva. Not trolling, I truly believe this. Seriously.
12/12/12 2:00 PM
MdGeist

Mousasi really is new to modern MMA.  All those fights he had in Pride and Dream he was pretty much a straight-up kickboxer with some Judo and basic grappling, but made up for his lack of wrestling with just natural athletic ability.

The guy is going to be absolute beast when he gets with a legit. training camp and they start filling in the holes in his wrestling and his BJJ.

He will be unstopable at MW or LHW if he gets the right training.

12/12/12 2:32 PM
KimboByGhettoplex
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mousasi has underachieved for a while. IMO he was never overhyped, the hype was warranted, he just hasn't lived up to his own abilities. Mousasi properly motivated is one of the P4P most talented fighters out there.
12/12/12 2:34 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
878 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mousasi will never fight at MW...he's mentioned already he's out grown the division...he has the best stand up at LHW in the world.

12/12/12 2:37 PM
BlueNamer
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the difference in his wrestling between the king mo fight and the OSP fight was night and day. i really hope he is taking this seriously because he has all the natural ability that any of the greats have. i'd hate to see him come to the ufc and get clowned, i just don't see it happening.
12/12/12 2:46 PM
shiki31

It was noticeable in his last couple of fights. Hes been missing the fire he had in the dream mw gp when he beat jacare. Hopefully this new training camp will bring the intensity back. Maybe he should have a talk with BJ Phone Post
12/12/12 2:47 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
878 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he also stated last year he couldn't...we'll see, and who has better stand up then Mousasi?

12/12/12 2:58 PM
mygodthisMMA
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone at AKA or Tristar etc needs to reach out and convince him to join their team. The coaches have to understand if they can get him to train their way they might have the next champ on their hands. Phone Post
12/12/12 3:05 PM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope to see him in the UFC. Not sure if he will be a champ any day, but would make for some great match ups. Put him up against Phil Davis and see where he is at.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.