UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Interesting Encounter w/fighter/MMA personality?

12/12/12 5:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
melendez
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive had a few interesting encounters over the past few years with different fighters/MMA personalities? I'm curious to hear if any of you guys have a good one that you would share?

If you don't have a pic thats cool, just interested in hearing funny or interesting stories.

Thanks.

12/12/12 6:24 PM
melendez
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cung knocked my ace out -  Tank spat at me once Phone Post

Holy shit...my first reaction was to laugh my ass off because I believe it...what the hell happened man??

12/12/12 6:37 PM
shaqitup
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"i have stories"

Doesn't share stories.
12/12/12 6:37 PM
shaqitup
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/12/12 6:37 PM
so share op
12/12/12 6:40 PM
bcolflesh
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Me and my buddy were coming back from the bars really late one night and I saw Renzo Gracie hanging out, so I asked him for a cigarette - big mistake.
12/12/12 6:46 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I ran into BJ Penn at the airport once...

12/12/12 6:48 PM
Authority Figure

Met Royce before Matt Hughes fight in airport. I told him to "kick his ass."

Royce looked at me like I was a maniac and just replied "I'll do my best." And shook my hand and walked off. Phone Post
12/12/12 6:55 PM
Master Bater
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/12/12 6:55 PM
Chuck handing me a flyer outside of UFC 38 in London... looked really pissed off that he was on flyer duties... while Tito was "Lording it up" with his title belt.
12/12/12 6:58 PM
Master Bater
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bcolflesh - Me and my buddy were coming back from the bars really late one night and I saw Renzo Gracie hanging out, so I asked him for a cigarette - big mistake.

haha GOLD... what you did there..... i like
12/12/12 7:08 PM
mdfmma123
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Master Bater -
bcolflesh - Me and my buddy were coming back from the bars really late one night and I saw Renzo Gracie hanging out, so I asked him for a cigarette - big mistake.

This.
I laughed. Phone Post
12/12/12 7:13 PM
cripplersc
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasn't there a poster that had a Randy story where he was on a elevator with him and it was dead silent. When they were getting off Randy turns to him and says something like don't fuckin look at me or my wife? Phone Post
12/12/12 7:17 PM
melendez

Master Bater - 

hahaha! nice one...i hope you are healing up. I heard how he beat you up pretty bad ;)

12/12/12 7:18 PM
melendez

cripplersc -  Wasn't there a poster that had a Randy story where he was on a elevator with him and it was dead silent. When they were getting off Randy turns to him and says something like don't fuckin look at me or my wife? Phone Post

hahaha wow i would never expect randy to do some shit like that. he's a pretty nice guy.

12/12/12 7:19 PM
melendez

Master Bater - Chuck handing me a flyer outside of UFC 38 in London... looked really pissed off that he was on flyer duties... while Tito was "Lording it up" with his title belt.

hhaha! id kill for a picture of that. its ok tho...Chuck earned his time in the spotlight for sure

12/12/12 7:23 PM
Burt Reynoldz
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

melendez - 
cripplersc -  Wasn't there a poster that had a Randy story where he was on a elevator with him and it was dead silent. When they were getting off Randy turns to him and says something like don't fuckin look at me or my wife? Phone Post

hahaha wow i would never expect randy to do some shit like that. he's a pretty nice guy.

I've heard that story before.  I think there's a few other similar Randy stories floating out there.

12/12/12 7:29 PM
JoeMimic
679 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I met Brian Stann once and said thanks for knocking Chris Leben out sarcastically. He says you're welcome or no problem very seriously, and I go Yeah he's my favorite fighter and I pointed to my shirt which happened to be a Leben shirt and he looks down at it and back up at me and we both started busted up laughing. I actually have a picture of the exact moment too. Phone Post
12/12/12 7:41 PM
JoeMimic
679 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's the picture I was talking about haha.
12/12/12 7:44 PM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lmao! I remember that thread.

12/12/12 7:53 PM
DWray
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A few decent ones for a normal fan that's been to a few events and has absolutely no "connections."

After WEC 43 in San Antonio, I went out to the after-party with a bunch of the fighters. Mackens Semerzier has just submitted Wagnney Fabiano by triangle in a pretty big upset and won Submission of the Night. After we walked out of the club, somehow it ended with him and I yelling that we were hungry. So at about 3 or 4 am, I sat with Mackens and his team as they bought me dinner (breakfast?).

http://i.imgur.com/nCICG.jpg

Also at WEC 43, since it hadn't yet filled for the prelims, I moved up to second row directly behind Jamie Varner, who was champ at the time. When the people came for their seats, we were moving back (to 5th row) when Paul Buentello yelled at me and motioned to the open seat next to him. I watched the last two or three fights, including Benson/Cowboy next to Paul and we talked the entire time. Awesome dude. I feared the consequences.

http://i.imgur.com/maGw7.jpg

At UFC 148, I ran into Werdum and took the following picture (second one is a zoom):
http://i.imgur.com/7MLVK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ENh9Lh.jpg

At a Q&A before WEC 43, I asked Miguel Torres and Frank Mir that if Miguel's fight-weight of ~150 lbs. included when Frank was on his nuts. Frank big-leagued me and the video got ~100,000 views across Sherdog and the UG. (I don't have a link, I believe it was taken down.)

Nothing too spectacular, but it's been a blast.
12/12/12 8:03 PM
UGCTT_mojodmonky
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DWray - A few decent ones for a normal fan that's been to a few events and has absolutely no "connections."

After WEC 43 in San Antonio, I went out to the after-party with a bunch of the fighters. Mackens Semerzier has just submitted Wagnney Fabiano by triangle in a pretty big upset and won Submission of the Night. After we walked out of the club, somehow it ended with him and I yelling that we were hungry. So at about 3 or 4 am, I sat with Mackens and his team as they bought me dinner (breakfast?).

Also at WEC 43, since it hadn't yet filled for the prelims, I moved up to second row directly behind Jamie Varner, who was champ at the time. When the people came for their seats, we were moving back (to 5th row) when Paul Buentello yelled at me and motioned to the open seat next to him. I watched the last two or three fights, including Benson/Cowboy next to Paul and we talked the entire time. Awesome dude. I feared the consequences.

At UFC 148, I ran into Werdum and took the following picture (second one is a zoom):

At a Q&A before WEC 43, I asked Miguel Torres and Frank Mir that if Miguel's fight-weight of ~150 lbs. included when Frank was on his nuts. Frank big-leagued me and the video got ~100,000 views across Sherdog and the UG. (I don't have a link, I believe it was taken down.)

just curious if you specifically asked Werdum to do the funny face or if he just does it as his go-to for fan pics?

not really "interesting" but I got hiptossed by Werdum when I got my blue belt a couple weeks ago. He was nice enough not to throw me through the floor. My main instructor on the other hand... i really need to work on my breakfall.
12/12/12 8:05 PM
melendez

Ok Ill throw one in. Ive always wanted to meet BJ Penn and finally this year, I was able to make that happen. I had been to 3 fan expos before this year and could he wasn't there. Then, he came to Afghanistan a few years ago with Urijah Faber to visit troops and I missed him there. Finally, I caught up to him in Vegas this year. I had been watching BJ since I saw him fight Caol Uno like 50 years ago.

It went down like this.

2 nights before the actual Fan Expo, BJ and the Zombie (Fuck yes!) were both downtown in Vegas in the Fremont District (if thats what you call it) signing autos and taking pix. I made my way down there and jumped in the huge ass line waiting for my chance to meet BJ. Two hours had passed and I was getting antsy. I had all my shit out ready to get signed etc. Brian Rhee, Zombie's manager even recognized me from a few other events and said whats up. He took my shit that I had for the Zombie to sign, walked it over to the front, had Zombie sign it and then brought it back to me. I digress. Anyways, to my dismay, BJ's time was up right while I was in the line and he had to go. His mother, Ms. Lorraine Shin kept commenting on how terrible she felt and saying that she was sorry. I explained to her that I had missed BJ in Afghanistan, and then again at the expos. She was genuinely upset that I didn't get a chance to meet her kid. She passed me her business card, and told me to mail her anything I wanted signed in Hawaii...and that she promised to mail it back to me. Thought that was awesome.

The next day BJ was scheduled to appear at some hotel downtown for what the UFC  was calling their "Pub Crawl" A whole gang of guys were doing this. So, I figured why not try again to meet Baby Jay. Got to the place and I was like number 6 in line! I was so excited to finally get a chance to meet the guy (gay moment I know). Finally BJ comes in with his mother and manager. Bonnar was supposed to be there but was late. His mom immediately recognized me and told BJ right away, "this is the guy I told you about." So my turn came up and BJ told me to sit down. I sat down on a stool next to him and he basically just brought the line to a halt talking to me. I explained to him that Soldiers and service members are extremely grateful that he and Faber had come to Afghanistan and put themselves in danger just to support us. As I was talking to BJ, I noticed that he started to get a bit choked up and got goosebumps on his arms. Ill never forget this because he said "Brah...hearing this right here...its giving me chicken skin.." I had never heard that term before and started cracking the hell up...Ill end it here but meeting BJ was hands down one of the most awesome experiences Ive had with a fighter. Ive looked up to him for a long time, but even more so when he put his ass out there to visit Soldiers in a combat zone. All he did was keep talking about how much he admired Soldiers which I thought was awesome. When I looked up...the people in the line were all staring at me like Jesus Christ where do these two know eachother from? Sorry for longest post ever....

12/12/12 8:07 PM
melendez

JoeMimic - 

Here's the picture I was talking about haha.

AWESOME!

I met him in San Jose and he had the straight face Marine Corps killer look going. Glad you caught another side of him

12/12/12 8:09 PM
DWray
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_mojodmonky - 
DWray - A few decent ones for a normal fan that's been to a few events and has absolutely no "connections."

just curious if you specifically asked Werdum to do the funny face or if he just does it as his go-to for fan pics?

not really "interesting" but I got hiptossed by Werdum when I got my blue belt a couple weeks ago. He was nice enough not to throw me through the floor. My main instructor on the other hand... i really need to work on my breakfall.

The conversation was brief:

Dustin: "Fabricio, do the smile!"
Werdum: "De smile?! Haha, ho-kay!"
12/12/12 8:10 PM
melendez

Bro this shit is too funny...I think you are kind of like me saying crazy shit. Once I told Wand he needed to start wearing a helmet during his fights to keep from getting knocked out to which he smiled and said "yes my friend i like this..."

12/12/12 8:16 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Edited: 12/12/12 8:16 PM
melendez - 

Ok Ill throw one in. Ive always wanted to meet BJ Penn and finally this year, I was able to make that happen. I had been to 3 fan expos before this year and could he wasn't there. Then, he came to Afghanistan a few years ago with Urijah Faber to visit troops and I missed him there. Finally, I caught up to him in Vegas this year. I had been watching BJ since I saw him fight Caol Uno like 50 years ago.

It went down like this.

2 nights before the actual Fan Expo, BJ and the Zombie (Fuck yes!) were both downtown in Vegas in the Fremont District (if thats what you call it) signing autos and taking pix. I made my way down there and jumped in the huge ass line waiting for my chance to meet BJ. Two hours had passed and I was getting antsy. I had all my shit out ready to get signed etc. Brian Rhee, Zombie's manager even recognized me from a few other events and said whats up. He took my shit that I had for the Zombie to sign, walked it over to the front, had Zombie sign it and then brought it back to me. I digress. Anyways, to my dismay, BJ's time was up right while I was in the line and he had to go. His mother, Ms. Lorraine Shin kept commenting on how terrible she felt and saying that she was sorry. I explained to her that I had missed BJ in Afghanistan, and then again at the expos. She was genuinely upset that I didn't get a chance to meet her kid. She passed me her business card, and told me to mail her anything I wanted signed in Hawaii...and that she promised to mail it back to me. Thought that was awesome.

The next day BJ was scheduled to appear at some hotel downtown for what the UFC  was calling their "Pub Crawl" A whole gang of guys were doing this. So, I figured why not try again to meet Baby Jay. Got to the place and I was like number 6 in line! I was so excited to finally get a chance to meet the guy (gay moment I know). Finally BJ comes in with his mother and manager. Bonnar was supposed to be there but was late. His mom immediately recognized me and told BJ right away, "this is the guy I told you about." So my turn came up and BJ told me to sit down. I sat down on a stool next to him and he basically just brought the line to a halt talking to me. I explained to him that Soldiers and service members are extremely grateful that he and Faber had come to Afghanistan and put themselves in danger just to support us. As I was talking to BJ, I noticed that he started to get a bit choked up and got goosebumps on his arms. Ill never forget this because he said "Brah...hearing this right here...its giving me chicken skin.." I had never heard that term before and started cracking the hell up...Ill end it here but meeting BJ was hands down one of the most awesome experiences Ive had with a fighter. Ive looked up to him for a long time, but even more so when he put his ass out there to visit Soldiers in a combat zone. All he did was keep talking about how much he admired Soldiers which I thought was awesome. When I looked up...the people in the line were all staring at me like Jesus Christ where do these two know eachother from? Sorry for longest post ever...

What an awesome fucking story bro. Thank you for your service. WAR PENN!!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.