UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Interesting Encounter w/fighter/MMA personality?

12/12/12 10:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
melendez
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
melendez - 

Ok Ill throw one in. Ive always wanted to meet BJ Penn and finally this year, I was able to make that happen. I had been to 3 fan expos before this year and could he wasn't there. Then, he came to Afghanistan a few years ago with Urijah Faber to visit troops and I missed him there. Finally, I caught up to him in Vegas this year. I had been watching BJ since I saw him fight Caol Uno like 50 years ago.

It went down like this.

2 nights before the actual Fan Expo, BJ and the Zombie (Fuck yes!) were both downtown in Vegas in the Fremont District (if thats what you call it) signing autos and taking pix. I made my way down there and jumped in the huge ass line waiting for my chance to meet BJ. Two hours had passed and I was getting antsy. I had all my shit out ready to get signed etc. Brian Rhee, Zombie's manager even recognized me from a few other events and said whats up. He took my shit that I had for the Zombie to sign, walked it over to the front, had Zombie sign it and then brought it back to me. I digress. Anyways, to my dismay, BJ's time was up right while I was in the line and he had to go. His mother, Ms. Lorraine Shin kept commenting on how terrible she felt and saying that she was sorry. I explained to her that I had missed BJ in Afghanistan, and then again at the expos. She was genuinely upset that I didn't get a chance to meet her kid. She passed me her business card, and told me to mail her anything I wanted signed in Hawaii...and that she promised to mail it back to me. Thought that was awesome.

The next day BJ was scheduled to appear at some hotel downtown for what the UFC  was calling their "Pub Crawl" A whole gang of guys were doing this. So, I figured why not try again to meet Baby Jay. Got to the place and I was like number 6 in line! I was so excited to finally get a chance to meet the guy (gay moment I know). Finally BJ comes in with his mother and manager. Bonnar was supposed to be there but was late. His mom immediately recognized me and told BJ right away, "this is the guy I told you about." So my turn came up and BJ told me to sit down. I sat down on a stool next to him and he basically just brought the line to a halt talking to me. I explained to him that Soldiers and service members are extremely grateful that he and Faber had come to Afghanistan and put themselves in danger just to support us. As I was talking to BJ, I noticed that he started to get a bit choked up and got goosebumps on his arms. Ill never forget this because he said "Brah...hearing this right here...its giving me chicken skin.." I had never heard that term before and started cracking the hell up...Ill end it here but meeting BJ was hands down one of the most awesome experiences Ive had with a fighter. Ive looked up to him for a long time, but even more so when he put his ass out there to visit Soldiers in a combat zone. All he did was keep talking about how much he admired Soldiers which I thought was awesome. When I looked up...the people in the line were all staring at me like Jesus Christ where do these two know eachother from? Sorry for longest post ever...

What an awesome fucking story bro. Thank you for your service. WAR PENN!!!!

LNP Ninja-This story never even really made it anywhere. This is something I have not understood about Zuffa...they have had several of their guys go to combat zones to visit Soldiers...BJ, Urijah and Tito have all gone (tito multiple times) but fans back in the states never even hear about it.

12/12/12 11:10 PM
melendez
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ObamaCare - 
melendez - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
melendez - 

Ok Ill throw one in. Ive always wanted to meet BJ Penn and finally this year, I was able to make that happen. I had been to 3 fan expos before this year and could he wasn't there. Then, he came to Afghanistan a few years ago with Urijah Faber to visit troops and I missed him there. Finally, I caught up to him in Vegas this year. I had been watching BJ since I saw him fight Caol Uno like 50 years ago.

It went down like this.

2 nights before the actual Fan Expo, BJ and the Zombie (Fuck yes!) were both downtown in Vegas in the Fremont District (if thats what you call it) signing autos and taking pix. I made my way down there and jumped in the huge ass line waiting for my chance to meet BJ. Two hours had passed and I was getting antsy. I had all my shit out ready to get signed etc. Brian Rhee, Zombie's manager even recognized me from a few other events and said whats up. He took my shit that I had for the Zombie to sign, walked it over to the front, had Zombie sign it and then brought it back to me. I digress. Anyways, to my dismay, BJ's time was up right while I was in the line and he had to go. His mother, Ms. Lorraine Shin kept commenting on how terrible she felt and saying that she was sorry. I explained to her that I had missed BJ in Afghanistan, and then again at the expos. She was genuinely upset that I didn't get a chance to meet her kid. She passed me her business card, and told me to mail her anything I wanted signed in Hawaii...and that she promised to mail it back to me. Thought that was awesome.

The next day BJ was scheduled to appear at some hotel downtown for what the UFC  was calling their "Pub Crawl" A whole gang of guys were doing this. So, I figured why not try again to meet Baby Jay. Got to the place and I was like number 6 in line! I was so excited to finally get a chance to meet the guy (gay moment I know). Finally BJ comes in with his mother and manager. Bonnar was supposed to be there but was late. His mom immediately recognized me and told BJ right away, "this is the guy I told you about." So my turn came up and BJ told me to sit down. I sat down on a stool next to him and he basically just brought the line to a halt talking to me. I explained to him that Soldiers and service members are extremely grateful that he and Faber had come to Afghanistan and put themselves in danger just to support us. As I was talking to BJ, I noticed that he started to get a bit choked up and got goosebumps on his arms. Ill never forget this because he said "Brah...hearing this right here...its giving me chicken skin.." I had never heard that term before and started cracking the hell up...Ill end it here but meeting BJ was hands down one of the most awesome experiences Ive had with a fighter. Ive looked up to him for a long time, but even more so when he put his ass out there to visit Soldiers in a combat zone. All he did was keep talking about how much he admired Soldiers which I thought was awesome. When I looked up...the people in the line were all staring at me like Jesus Christ where do these two know eachother from? Sorry for longest post ever...

What an awesome fucking story bro. Thank you for your service. WAR PENN!!!!

LNP Ninja-This story never even really made it anywhere. This is something I have not understood about Zuffa...they have had several of their guys go to combat zones to visit Soldiers...BJ, Urijah and Tito have all gone (tito multiple times) but fans back in the states never even hear about it.

great story and i kinda like the fact that zuffa didnt make a big deal about it

kinda makes it seem more sincere imo

plenty of people do nice things just to show everyone "hey look what nice shit i just did"

ya i def feel you on that one. But the UFC has always been very open about their support for the military. From their UFC FIGHT FOR THE TROOPS they were doing for a while (its pretty much gone away) to the idea they had to actually hold a card in afghanistan, to their work with the Marines. All im really saying is that if people like BJ now, imagine what they'd say when they heard their favorite fighter actually put his ass on the line to fly half way around the world and into a combat zone just to show his appreciation to Soldiers. Actually, in 08 Michael Bisping (still relatively not a huge star at that time) was on that trip with BJ to Afghanistan. thats awesome to me.

12/12/12 11:13 PM
WidowMaker187
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So my buddy Drewbe has a huge man crush on Brendan Schaub. Shaub came to town for 131 so we got this short video for Drewbe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B5VaUyjWpY
12/12/12 11:18 PM
Rear Naked Chode
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mine aren't as cool as some of yours.

The Cyborgs used to live nearby me and I worked across the street at a grocery store. They used to come in all the time and shop and jog around the area. They don't speak english very well, but whenever I saw them jogging I would wave and yell ”cyborg”! And they would wave back. Then Cris beat gina and I never saw them again.

Met Renzo at the long beach bjj expo that diaz didn't show to. After he announced that diaz didn't show and everyone started leaving, my buddy and I went up to him and talked for like ten minutes. Really cool guy. Got a pic and then bailed.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/johnnykooter/9364.jpg

Met Josh Barnett like 3 times, he lives close by.

First time was years ago at a death metal fest. Was chilling outside with my bandmates kind of drunk. Saw him and said to my buddy, ” that looks like josh barnett”. Wasn't sure because I thought he would be a little bigger lol. So I yelled out ” josh” and saw him look around and was like that's him. So we went up and talked for like 20 minutes, really cool dude. He should've totally beat me down for asking him, ” So what really happened with the Fedor fight?” Lol, I'm an idiot, but I thought he could let me in on some conspiracy shit.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/johnnykooter/barnette.jpg

Second time he was at one of my shows and as he was leaving I ran up and have him one of our cd's and told him good luck with the cormier fight.

Third time was at the same venue, we were playing again. Me and my vocalist were hammered and saw him just finished eating at the bar and went up and bsed with him for like an hour it seemed. Wish I remembered more from that conversation cuz it was a wild one and awesome.

So after watching the fox card with shogun vs vera and machida vs bader, my vocalist who was at the fight with his brother called me and was like ” hey wanna talk to dana white” and I was like bull shit but then he same on the phone and said ” hey tony, how did you like those fucking fights?” I said ” they were fucking amazing” talked for like a minute with him on the phone. That was a fucking trip lol.

Here is a pic of his brother taking to him right before I did

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/johnnykooter/IMAG0139.jpg

Last but not least just did a painting of Bas Rutten for my gf as an xmas present. Got in contact with him and he said he would sign it do drive up there with my vocalist and had a brief chat, had him sign it and took pics.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/johnnykooter/20121211_191540.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/johnnykooter/20121211_191202.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/johnnykooter/20121211_190812-1.jpg
12/12/12 11:22 PM
melendez

12/12/12 11:23 PM
melendez

12/12/12 11:23 PM
melendez

WidowMaker187 - So my buddy Drewbe has a huge man crush on Brendan Schaub. Shaub came to town for 131 so we got this short video for Drewbe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B5VaUyjWpY

"Drewbe you SUCK" hahaha thats hilarious man!

12/12/12 11:26 PM
melendez

Rear Naked Chode - Mine aren't as cool as some of yours.

The Cyborgs used to live nearby me and I worked across the street at a grocery store. They used to come in all the time and shop and jog around the area. They don't speak english very well, but whenever I saw them jogging I would wave and yell ”cyborg”! And they would wave back. Then Cris beat gina and I never saw them again.

Met Renzo at the long beach bjj expo that diaz didn't show to. After he announced that diaz didn't show and everyone started leaving, my buddy and I went up to him and talked for like ten minutes. Really cool guy. Got a pic and then bailed.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/johnnykooter/9364.jpg

Met Josh Barnett like 3 times, he lives close by.

First time was years ago at a death metal fest. Was chilling outside with my bandmates kind of drunk. Saw him and said to my buddy, ” that looks like josh barnett”. Wasn't sure because I thought he would be a little bigger lol. So I yelled out ” josh” and saw him look around and was like that's him. So we went up and talked for like 20 minutes, really cool dude. He should've totally beat me down for asking him, ” So what really happened with the Fedor fight?” Lol, I'm an idiot, but I thought he could let me in on some conspiracy shit.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/johnnykooter/barnette.jpg

Second time he was at one of my shows and as he was leaving I ran up and have him one of our cd's and told him good luck with the cormier fight.

Third time was at the same venue, we were playing again. Me and my vocalist were hammered and saw him just finished eating at the bar and went up and bsed with him for like an hour it seemed. Wish I remembered more from that conversation cuz it was a wild one and awesome.

So after watching the fox card with shogun vs vera and machida vs bader, my vocalist who was at the fight with his brother called me and was like ” hey wanna talk to dana white” and I was like bull shit but then he same on the phone and said ” hey tony, how did you like those fucking fights?” I said ” they were fucking amazing” talked for like a minute with him on the phone. That was a fucking trip lol.

Here is a pic of his brother taking to him right before I did

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/johnnykooter/IMAG0139.jpg

Last but not least just did a painting of Bas Rutten for my gf as an xmas present. Got in contact with him and he said he would sign it do drive up there with my vocalist and had a brief chat, had him sign it and took pics.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/johnnykooter/20121211_191540.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/johnnykooter/20121211_191202.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/johnnykooter/20121211_190812-1.jpg

Hey thats good stuff man thanks for sharing. I was at BJJ expo too I think it was in May of this year or June. Cant remember off the top of my head. Are you down in Cali? I would have thought JB lived in Washington state. I was pretty sure he trained with AMC Pankration but maybe he moved on.

Is that your artwork? Man, you have got some real talent dude. Thats pretty amazing. Good shit and thanks for sharing!

12/12/12 11:34 PM
Rear Naked Chode
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah that's my artwork, its always tough doing paintings for my girl cuz we live together. But this time I was extra sneaky so she is gonna shit, she loves bas, and she was so pissed I met renzo, she loves him to lol.

Yeah, I live in costa mess, orange county. Barnett lives in fullerton, same city as that venue (the slidebar). They started having a bunch of death metal shows there so he comes out a bunch.
12/12/12 11:49 PM
melendez

thats awesome. My wife is from Buena Park. Ill be honest in saying I dont know if thats Orange County but its definitely very close to LB and all that. Dude I met JB at the fan expo in 2010...the funniest shit ever is that he was carrying around a fucking muffin pan..I thought this was funny because at that time, my friend always referred to Josh as "muffin top" because of the wee bit O belly fat he tends to carry around sometimes. Anyways, I was like the only person who recognized Josh. I called him over and asked him waht the hell he was doing at a UFC Expo and he said "screw this shit Im only here cuz my guys are in the grappling tournament." I thought that was pretty cool he was a super nice guy on top of it all. In the pic you cant see it, but in his right hand he is totally holding a muffin pan. No f'n idea why he had it and was too scared to ask :)

12/12/12 11:59 PM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thought I gott a call from Rickson Gracie back in about '06. Turns out it was Claude Patrick doing a pretty spot on Rickson Gracie impersonation. Phone Post
12/13/12 12:01 AM
Rear Naked Chode

Yeah beuna park is in OC. And damn you have met like everyone. Voted up btw, awesome thread.
12/13/12 12:04 AM
melendez

Mike Russell -  Thought I gott a call from Rickson Gracie back in about '06. Turns out it was Claude Patrick doing a pretty spot on Rickson Gracie impersonation. Phone Post

haha thats pretty awesome! I wonder what a Rickson impersonation even sounds like. He doesn't seem to have a distinct voice other than the typical Brasilian accent. ZHOO ZHEETSUUU

12/13/12 12:07 AM
melendez

Rear Naked Chode - Yeah beuna park is in OC. And damn you have met like everyone. Voted up btw, awesome thread.

haha! YES! free geography lesson :) Sorry brother im still learning all the tiny towns between LA and SD for now. But my wife will appreciate me knowing Fullerton from Stockton for sure. I haven't met everyone man i still want to meet Royce, Joe Rogan, Bruce Buffer and a few others...I have this crazy ass idea for a UFC Fan expo coming up in the future but I dont think the UFC would ever make it happen...We shall see...

12/13/12 12:17 AM
Leghound
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread is why I love MMA so much. Hope in the future it doesn't become filled with a bunch of unapproachable assholes like a lot of other pro sports.
12/13/12 12:17 AM
pmbrent
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I paid $1000.00 to have a 2 hour lunch with Rich Franklin. It was a nice time at the Olive Garden. He even stayed about five minutes longer than he had to. Phone Post
12/13/12 12:18 AM
melendez

pmbrent -  I paid $1000.00 to have a 2 hour lunch with Rich Franklin. It was a nice time at the Olive Garden. He even stayed about five minutes longer than he had to. Phone Post

Charity event in Ohio? Sounds cool man. I love the OG...its where I always take a classy lady but she may only order from teh kids menu...

12/13/12 12:19 AM
melendez

Leghound - This thread is why I love MMA so much. Hope in the future it doesn't become filled with a bunch of unapproachable assholes like a lot of other pro sports.

TRUE STORY...I have only met like 3 guys that I do not have such nice stories about. But for fear of fighter bashing or soiling this thread with bullshit, ive not mentioned them at all. But they were def not the coolest ive come across

12/13/12 12:59 AM
escudo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually got to roll with Tom Lawlor once at a local gym.

Nobody knew he was coming in, just showed up out of the blue one day took jiu jitsu class with all the other students. He wasn't anything special only about
6' tall a quiet unassuming guy. Everyone just assumed he was some new guy untill he just ran through 5-6 students no problem and everyone was like "SHIT who is this guy?"

I got my chance to roll with him and got omoplata'd off a single leg. My coach goes up to him all excited thinking he just found some incredible undiscoved talent.

He asks "hey man whats your name?"
"Tom"
My coach just gets one of those moments like his memory just hit him with a lightning strike.
"Filthy Tom?"
"yep."

Everyone started laughing and everyone felt a little better about getting demolished by that new guy.

He stayed at our gym all week, even taught a few classes and seemed like a great down to earth dude.

BTW His strenth and cardio are UNREAL if you've never had the chance to roll withsomebody of that caliber.
12/13/12 1:03 AM
melendez

escudo - I actually got to roll with Tom Lawlor once at a local gym.

Nobody knew he was coming in, just showed up out of the blue one day took jiu jitsu class with all the other students. He wasn't anything special only about
6' tall a quiet unassuming guy. Everyone just assumed he was some new guy untill he just ran through 5-6 students no problem and everyone was like "SHIT who is this guy?"

I got my chance to roll with him and got omoplata'd off a single leg. My coach goes up to him all excited thinking he just found some incredible undiscoved talent.

"Tom"
My coach just gets one of those moments like his memory just hit him with a lightning strike.
"Filthy Tom?"
"yep."

Everyone started laughing and everyone felt a little better about getting demolished by that new guy.

He stayed at our gym all week, even taught a few classes and seemed like a great down to earth dude.

BTW His strenth and cardio are UNREAL if you've never had the chance to roll withsomebody of that caliber.

Thats awesome man are you up in the New England area at all? So Tom comes into your gym and just starts wrecking everyone :( Man...I would have been on the sidelines screaming "SWEEP THE LEG!!!"

I believe you when you say his strength and cardio are unreal. Most of these guys seem to train like madmen.

But now you've got me wondering if he made one of his now famous entrances haha! During the last UFC he came to the weigh ins and slipped and fell. It was hilarious.

12/13/12 1:26 AM
French Fries Malone
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a barber by trade and have been well known for a very close straight razor shave. Around 4 yrs ago I was working in Florida and get called in to the bank Atlantic center in sunrise for some corporate CBS gig. I think it's gonna be a pretty boring day until I find out that ken shamrock the baddest man on the planet is there!! And I'm gonna be shaving him! I did a great job then when getting ready to leave I came back into the room to find him bleeding with my razor in hand!!! Phone Post
12/13/12 1:30 AM
garrote
368 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post
12/13/12 1:33 AM
melendez

French Fries Malone -  I'm a barber by trade and have been well known for a very close straight razor shave. Around 4 yrs ago I was working in Florida and get called in to the bank Atlantic center in sunrise for some corporate CBS gig. I think it's gonna be a pretty boring day until I find out that ken shamrock the baddest man on the planet is there!! And I'm gonna be shaving him! I did a great job then when getting ready to leave I came back into the room to find him bleeding with my razor in hand!!! Phone Post

Thats funky...what in the hell was the event? I cant remember the last time Ken even fought

12/13/12 1:33 AM
melendez

garrote -  Later Phone Post

how much later?

12/13/12 1:36 AM
escudo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

melendez - 
escudo - I actually got to roll with Tom Lawlor once at a local gym.

"Tom"
"Filthy Tom?"
"yep."

Thats awesome man are you up in the New England area at all? So Tom comes into your gym and just starts wrecking everyone :( Man...I would have been on the sidelines screaming "SWEEP THE LEG!!!"

I believe you when you say his strength and cardio are unreal. Most of these guys seem to train like madmen.

But now you've got me wondering if he made one of his now famous entrances haha! During the last UFC he came to the weigh ins and slipped and fell. It was hilarious.

I'm in Fall River MA.

Believe he was training for Cote at the time

We had no idea it was him untill it was too late...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.