UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Interesting Encounter w/fighter/MMA personality?

12/13/12 11:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
melendez
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Letibleu - The athletes and personalities involved is part of what makes MMA the motherfucking best sport on the planet. Most of the encounters and stories in this thread wouldnt be possible in other sports. I expect fighters to become less and less available as MMA keeps getting more main stream. We are fortunate to be able to live these moments *sad face*.

You are 100 percent on the money with this statement. I believe that in years to come, the access that we as fans (and I know some of you are in the industry) are provide in incredible and sometimes unbelievable. This is truly something that I hope the higher ups at Zuffa continue to groom and grow in years to come. MMA fans are a special breed indeed; some of the most passionate of any sport.

Imagine meeting legends of major leagues like the NBA or NFL? I dont think you could just walk up to certain personalities and strike up a convo, have a beer and in some of your cases, get totally smoked out with an MMA figure. This is something I really do enjoy about the sport.

Im glad to hear all of these awesome stories. I hope the thread continues for a least a little while longer :)

12/13/12 11:59 AM
melendez
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mayhem13 -  I met Pat Barry at a meet and greet. Kid in front of me was maybe 6-7 years old, and asked if he could punch Pat in the tummy. Pat says sure, kid punches him..get an auto and moves on.

I step up to get a photo, and he says "hang in a second man" and sort of leans forward holding his stomach. Rubs it a few times and lifts his shirt inspecting his stomach. He shakes his head and looks at me and said "that fuckin hurt, felt like the kid punched me with a needle" he laughed and I got a pic and auto.

I interviewed a drunk Mayhem once, at about 1am on the phone. The topics ranged from Tom Cruise's penis, banging Tila Tequilla, and Asian girls kicking banana trees in his backyard to train him...all brought up by him. Strangest interview of my life.

Never trained BJJ in my life. The one time I rolled, it was with Gurgel. I did bad. Lol

Almost got thrown our of an event by Dan Bobish, until he remembered who I was, an that I was supposed to be there. He apologized and was a cool guy after that.

A bunch more..but I am done typing on mobile for now. Lol

Bunch of other stories..but hard to type on mobile. Phone Post

Seems like Pat is a genuinely nice guy no matter where he shows up which I think is great. I think thats one of the major reasons he continues in the UFC because of being such a fan fave. Ill never forget him crying during the Cro Cop fight. The guy wears his heart on his sleeve for sure and is also funny as all hell. You never know what he is going to say out of his mouth.

Ive met him at 2 diff places. Once he was with Brian Bowles...I asked them both for a pic and autograph with both. Pat immediately obliged...Brian immediately declined...

12/13/12 12:04 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread is awesome.  I love reading everyone's stories.

Damn, I need a Leben story and a Barnett story!!! *jealous*

12/13/12 12:08 PM
Letibleu
1662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/13/12 12:09 PM
So many pictures.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd462/Letibleu/2.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd462/Letibleu/1.jpg
12/13/12 12:08 PM
melendez

mmavixen - 

haha DUDE! Josh B was one of my favorite guys to meet! He seems mucho loco on TV, especially when I he was with Pride. He used to do that move where he'd mimick slicking his neck with his hand after a victory :) Not many fighters have one of those really anymore. Bas used to do the jumping split kick, Tito the "burial rituation", and Chuck has his arms wide open gimme a hug thing...guys dont do that much anymore that Ive noticed. 

Josh carrying around a muffin pan at a grappling matach was by far one of the funniest things Ive seen as far as MMA goes.  I thought he was selling brownies or something.

12/13/12 12:10 PM
melendez

Letibleu - So many pictures.

12/13/12 12:12 PM
melendez

melendez - 
Letibleu - So many pictures.

Hell ya dude! Pic with all 3 cut men=im jealous. Ive met them all but Leon Tabbs (thnk thats his name) was the best. He was at the airport after a KenFlo fight looking like Fred Sanford with an Indiana Jones artifact sack (now known as a man purse which is bull shit)...He had on an oldschool newsboy hat as well. I shouted "YO CUTMAN" and he raised his hand up and said how are you my brotha? He was really cool.

12/13/12 12:14 PM
Letibleu
1662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd462/Letibleu/Untitled-1.jpg

Josh was super cool.
12/13/12 12:15 PM
melendez

Letibleu - http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd462/Letibleu/Untitled-1.jpg

Josh was super cool.

12/13/12 12:20 PM
UGCTT_LastCall
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's 1983. I'm sitting on the bus in 3rd grade (way up in the front because I'm white...and was a bit of a jackass) when all of the sudden, a snot-nosed little 2nd grader sits down next to me and starts being more annoying than me. So I push him, and he hit me, then I hit him back, then we tussled in the seat a bit, then the bus driver made him sit in another seat and reprimanded me for being the bigger jackass.

20yrs later that little fucker beat Matt Hughes...twice...REALLY FAST.

About 10yrs after that...his scrotum made its debut on a live event broadcast.
12/13/12 12:20 PM
garrote
384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

torquemada - I met Renzo when he was cleaning up his diet for the Hughes fight. I sort of bragged that I ate clean most the time.
The next day, my wife and I are at a local candy store in Charlotte. I'm figuring I'll relax because I'm on vacation. I'm eating some big piece of fudge when someone slaps my back and yells "Hey, man! What the fuck are you eating? "

Yep, Renzo. Phone Post
Haha that's fuckin awesome. Phone Post
12/13/12 12:27 PM
Letibleu

This is a good one...

I was trying to get a picture with Herb after he had a laugh at my shirt. This drunk guy wearing an ugly affliction shirt and drinking Heineken kept budding into the picture. After pushing him away a few times I gave up and got the group shot.

Turns out it was a drunk Rosenthal. He was new on the scene and I did not know who he was.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd462/Letibleu/4.jpg
12/13/12 12:30 PM
novaguy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

torquemada - I met Renzo when he was cleaning up his diet for the Hughes fight. I sort of bragged that I ate clean most the time.
The next day, my wife and I are at a local candy store in Charlotte. I'm figuring I'll relax because I'm on vacation. I'm eating some big piece of fudge when someone slaps my back and yells "Hey, man! What the fuck are you eating? "

Yep, Renzo. Phone Post
Hilarious!!! Phone Post
12/13/12 12:32 PM
sk8actr
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alright, I have a pretty interesting one to contribute. I am a former pro skateboarder and longtime MMA fan. At the time, one of my favorite fighters was Matt Hughes. I saw him wearing a very cool 'Fairtex' jersey on some ppv's. It had a bunch of sponsors on the front and his name on the back.

So, I email Fairtex, asking if I could buy one of those from them or anywhere. They found out about my skating and next thing I know, they made me 2 personalized jerseys, one exactly like Matt's, and one a little different, with my name and logo on the back.

Still wear them in every show I still do to this day, big thanks to James Wong/Fairtex! I ended up meeting with him at UFC 40 (I think?) got to meet Matt Hughes, BJ Penn, Jeff Curran, Jens Pulver, Jeremy Horn, Tim Sylvia and Bruce Buffer all separately that night!
12/13/12 12:46 PM
patches

i've been lucky enough to meet a bunch...cornered in the UFC a few times and got be be back in the room to see paul buontello puke for like 30 minutes straight because of nerves...it was when he was fighting justin eilers....i have no idea how he went out there and won..
12/13/12 12:52 PM
garrote
384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rear Naked Chode - Yeah that's my artwork, its always tough doing paintings for my girl cuz we live together. But this time I was extra sneaky so she is gonna shit, she loves bas, and she was so pissed I met renzo, she loves him to lol.

Yeah, I live in costa mess, orange county. Barnett lives in fullerton, same city as that venue (the slidebar). They started having a bunch of death metal shows there so he comes out a bunch.
Yo I'm in Newport. What's the name of your band? I'll come check you guys out.

Also, what fest did you see Barnett at? Phone Post
12/13/12 12:55 PM
patches

Edited: 12/13/12 12:56 PM
when serra beat gsp i was in houston and we went to after parties and met so many guys but the end of the night comes and its raining so bad and we are all in line waiting for cabs to go home.we were waiting inline with forest griffen and his manager and the cabs stop coiming,so forest goes " fuck it...lets run" he turns the corner and a cab pulls up we jump in ,get to the hotel . as we walk in i notice a big ass sign that is promoting some gay convention there....i think nothing of it ....so we raid the food stand that had next to nothing in it but we buy everything......in comes forest....soaking wet....." thanks guys....thanks for the ride".. i say to him " hey forest u here for the convention"<br /><br /> we're all laughing at him he's laughing and says" god im starving" ....i go " sorry buddy we bought the last of everything"......he walks up to my buddy thats like 6foot 5..245lbs and grabs his arm and starts eating his sandwich..my friend goes " DUDE........DUDE.....THATS A HOOK UP >>>>I JUST HOOKED UP WITH FOREST"!....<br /><br /><br /> i dont know ...it was funny to me<br />
12/13/12 12:55 PM
JoeMimic
593 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmavixen -

I've met Leben a few times, once when he was selling is Cat Smasher shirt at a Sportfight back in the day and the other time backstage at the UFC 132 weigh ins before his fight with Wanderlei.

He was super cool both times, I don't even know what happened to that cat smasher t shirt either damnit. Phone Post
12/13/12 1:20 PM
Rear Naked Chode
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

garrote - 
Rear Naked Chode - Yeah that's my artwork, its always tough doing paintings for my girl cuz we live together. But this time I was extra sneaky so she is gonna shit, she loves bas, and she was so pissed I met renzo, she loves him to lol.

Yeah, I live in costa mess, orange county. Barnett lives in fullerton, same city as that venue (the slidebar). They started having a bunch of death metal shows there so he comes out a bunch.

My band is Bedlam of Cacophony. We are actually playing friday in long beach at max steiners.

That show was the first summer slaughter tour.
12/13/12 1:25 PM
GregNoActionJackson
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Master Bater -
bcolflesh - Me and my buddy were coming back from the bars really late one night and I saw Renzo Gracie hanging out, so I asked him for a cigarette - big mistake.

haha GOLD... what you did there..... i like
Haha well played. I also see what you did Phone Post
12/13/12 1:31 PM
melendez

UGCTT_LastCall - It's 1983. I'm sitting on the bus in 3rd grade (way up in the front because I'm white...and was a bit of a jackass) when all of the sudden, a snot-nosed little 2nd grader sits down next to me and starts being more annoying than me. So I push him, and he hit me, then I hit him back, then we tussled in the seat a bit, then the bus driver made him sit in another seat and reprimanded me for being the bigger jackass.

20yrs later that little fucker beat Matt Hughes...twice...REALLY FAST.

About 10yrs after that...his scrotum made its debut on a live event broadcast.

We can only be talking about Dennis Hallman :) Thats awesome. I was at the event in Philadelphia like a year and some change ago where he came out in those purple panties. I am pretty sure he fought Ebersole and didn't do very well. I remember people in the crowd shouting mean things and all that at Dennis for coming out with those grape smugglers. I didn't catch a glimpse of his fishing rod, but Im glad that I didn't.

He's definitely one of those guys who have been around for a very long time and doesn't really get due respect as a longer tenured fighter.

That's an awesome story thank you for sharing!

12/13/12 1:34 PM
melendez

12/13/12 1:36 PM
melendez

patches - when serra beat gsp i was in houston and we went to after parties and met so many guys but the end of the night comes and its raining so bad and we are all in line waiting for cabs to go home.we were waiting inline with forest griffen and his manager and the cabs stop coiming,so forest goes " fuck it...lets run" he turns the corner and a cab pulls up we jump in ,get to the hotel . as we walk in i notice a big ass sign that is promoting some gay convention there....i think nothing of it ....so we raid the food stand that had next to nothing in it but we buy everything......in comes forest....soaking wet....." thanks guys....thanks for the ride".. i say to him " hey forest u here for the convention"<br /><br /> we're all laughing at him he's laughing and says" god im starving" ....i go " sorry buddy we bought the last of everything"......he walks up to my buddy thats like 6foot 5..245lbs and grabs his arm and starts eating his sandwich..my friend goes " DUDE........DUDE.....THATS A HOOK UP >>>>I JUST HOOKED UP WITH FOREST"!....<br /><br /><br /> i dont know ...it was funny to me<br />

Shit thats funny to anyone! Sounds like something Forrest would do. This must have been like 4 years ago now right? I can't remember but I think he beat GSP back in 07 or 08, not sure. Either way funny story.

12/13/12 1:38 PM
garrote

Rear Naked Chode -
garrote - 

My band is Bedlam of Cacophony. We are actually playing friday in long beach at max steiners.

That show was the first summer slaughter tour.
Damn can't make it this Friday. I'll keep a lookout for future shows though.

I went to a slaughter your a few years ago. Not sure if it was the first one. Probably not. Suffocation and Necrophagist were the headliners.

Anyway, I used to hang in HB a lot. When you do that, you run into Tank. Well we (my friends and I) would run into him a lot. He was always super friendly and would talk to everybody. He loved to talk about how he hated Ken Shamrock. Well this time his hand was in a brace all swollen to hell cause he had just knocked out cabbage. He was drunk, as usual, and was saying how he had been talking with Pride and would be fighting there soon. I remember saying to my buddy "yeah right. He's just fucking with us now."

Sure enough a few months later its announced that he's fighting Yoshida. I couldn't believe it. What I could believe, is how the fight went. Phone Post
12/13/12 1:42 PM
melendez

Letibleu - This is a good one...

I was trying to get a picture with Herb after he had a laugh at my shirt. This drunk guy wearing an ugly affliction shirt and drinking Heineken kept budding into the picture. After pushing him away a few times I gave up and got the group shot.

Turns out it was a drunk Rosenthal. He was new on the scene and I did not know who he was.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd462/Letibleu/4.jpg

Another winner for you my friend! Rosenthal was in Houston in OCT 2011. Unless you have no life and do nothing but watch MMA (thats me) then you wouldn't really recongnize some of the refs in civilian clothing. I saw Rosenthal and shouted out to a group of people "YO ITS JEFF MONSON!" Even Jake turned to look to see if Jeff was there. Then, Jake looked at me as I was pointing right at him, smiled and called me an asshole :)

At this years UFC Expo I saw Yves Lavigne cruising around in jeans and a t-shirt and said Holy Shit its Yves. He turned around, walked up to me and said (and im not clowning the French Canadian accent) "Leezen to me my fren...eef yoo can rae-kog-nize me een a room full of pee-PULL...you are watcheen too much of Ze MMA" My wife busted out laughing and I was kind of embarassed. May sound corny but meeting the refs and other figures within the sport is just as much fun as the fighters themselves.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.