UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Interesting Encounter w/fighter/MMA personality?

12/13/12 1:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rear Naked Chode
505 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to live in hb for most of my life and my dad used to always say,” I saw tank at the bar”. Lol, but I never saw him :(
12/13/12 1:51 PM
HolyHackZack
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Met a lot of fighters at the Seattle fights. While waiting outside the post fight presser with maybe 10 other people the door cracked open and everyone went 'Ben, Benson, over here!' And out he stepped, smoking a cigaret exclaiming 'I did great tonight right guys!'; Benson's brother looking exactly like him. He was a cool guy (think his name was Julian), we argued for a bit when when he said '...and my brother had already beat Frankie twice, whose tougher to prep for than Nate'. I told him I agreed, except for the part where he said he beat Frankie... Did meet Benson later though, amazing with his fans.

Also met Nick Diaz outside. Door opened and he went charging through with a good 'don't fucking talk at me' look. I pulled my hat off my balding intoxicated head and yelled 'You're my favorite fighter and I have no hair! Sign my hat!'. He smiled, signed my shit, dropped it on the floor and walked away. Rockstar moment. Phone Post
12/13/12 1:55 PM
melendez
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HolyHackZack -  Met a lot of fighters at the Seattle fights. While waiting outside the post fight presser with maybe 10 other people the door cracked open and everyone went 'Ben, Benson, over here!' And out he stepped, smoking a cigaret exclaiming 'I did great tonight right guys!'; Benson's brother looking exactly like him. He was a cool guy (think his name was Julian), we argued for a bit when when he said '...and my brother had already beat Frankie twice, whose tougher to prep for than Nate'. I told him I agreed, except for the part where he said he beat Frankie... Did meet Benson later though, amazing with his fans.

Also met Nick Diaz outside. Door opened and he went charging through with a good 'don't fucking talk at me' look. I pulled my hat off my balding intoxicated head and yelled 'You're my favorite fighter and I have no hair! Sign my hat!'. He smiled, signed my shit, dropped it on the floor and walked away. Rockstar moment. Phone Post

haha! good one. Ive seen pix of Bens brother of the special they did on Ben before the Frankie fight. Like twins man.

I have a Nick Diaz story from back on 09 which is pretty funny. He was not agnry or anything like that. He was really cool, just a little bit "lifted" perhaps...needless to say, my commander did not appreciate my uniform reeking of a foreign substance..."Sir, its the smoke...."

12/13/12 1:59 PM
melendez
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rear Naked Chode - 
garrote - 
Rear Naked Chode - Yeah that's my artwork, its always tough doing paintings for my girl cuz we live together. But this time I was extra sneaky so she is gonna shit, she loves bas, and she was so pissed I met renzo, she loves him to lol.

Yeah, I live in costa mess, orange county. Barnett lives in fullerton, same city as that venue (the slidebar). They started having a bunch of death metal shows there so he comes out a bunch.
Yo I'm in Newport. What's the name of your band? I'll come check you guys out.

Also, what fest did you see Barnett at? Phone Post

My band is Bedlam of Cacophony. We are actually playing friday in long beach at max steiners.

That show was the first summer slaughter tour.

Hey man that pic you posted of your artwork was awesome. Would you be willing to show any of your other MMA art on here?

12/13/12 2:16 PM
HolyHackZack
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ran into Jake Shields in the lobby. He was getting swarmed by people pretty bad. I handed him my hat, he signed it real quick and handed it back. Some guy came up with an air of authority about him and said 'EVERYONE GIVE THE MAN SOME ROOM! JAKE FOLLOW ME I'LL GET YOU OUT OF HERE!'. He grabbed Jake, drug him through the crowd to a group of friends he had waiting, took a picture and said 'Thanks man, nice meeting you!' and just left him stranded :-)
12/13/12 2:17 PM
HolyHackZack

He seemed so trusting, I felt bad.
12/13/12 2:23 PM
cycklops
299 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

melendez - 
cycklops - 

Couple years ago went to a grappling tournament and my first match was against Ben Henderson.

thats funny as hell! was this even before he was in the WEC? How did it go?

It was actually after the Pettis loss and just before his UFC debut. It went well...for him. I shot on the leg. He kinda let me have it. I stood up and hugged it and prepared to fed the pipe. I felt safe. Secure. My neck was covered. He leaped forward, forward rolled into a guillotine, and I machine gun tapped with no part of my body touching the ground.

12/13/12 2:25 PM
melendez

cycklops - 
melendez - 
cycklops - 

Couple years ago went to a grappling tournament and my first match was against Ben Henderson.

thats funny as hell! was this even before he was in the WEC? How did it go?

It was actually after the Pettis loss and just before his UFC debut. It went well...for him. I shot on the leg. He kinda let me have it. I stood up and hugged it and prepared to fed the pipe. I felt safe. Secure. My neck was covered. He leaped forward, forward rolled into a guillotine, and I machine gun tapped with no part of my body touching the ground.

:) Honestly is fantastic.

12/13/12 2:33 PM
Rear Naked Chode
505 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

melendez - 
Rear Naked Chode - 
garrote - 
Rear Naked Chode - Yeah that's my artwork, its always tough doing paintings for my girl cuz we live together. But this time I was extra sneaky so she is gonna shit, she loves bas, and she was so pissed I met renzo, she loves him to lol.

Yeah, I live in costa mess, orange county. Barnett lives in fullerton, same city as that venue (the slidebar). They started having a bunch of death metal shows there so he comes out a bunch.
Yo I'm in Newport. What's the name of your band? I'll come check you guys out.

Also, what fest did you see Barnett at? Phone Post

My band is Bedlam of Cacophony. We are actually playing friday in long beach at max steiners.

That show was the first summer slaughter tour.

Hey man that pic you posted of your artwork was awesome. Would you be willing to show any of your other MMA art on here?

The only other mma related piece I've done is Wand

http://photos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/522215_438884242813656_828658872_n.jpg

But I wanna do more, trying to think of good ideas though.
12/13/12 2:35 PM
red7
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I met Ben Henderson at the Infantry conference a couple years ago. He was sponsored by a body armor company, so he spent the day at their booth. No one else seemed to know who he was, so I got to spend about an hour talking with him. Really cool guy, asked about the Army and thanked me for serving. He's the only fighter I met. I missed all the overseas visits, the Army limits those to the big FOBs mostly. Phone Post
12/13/12 2:40 PM
garrote
465 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Posting blind for rear naked chode

Phone Post
12/13/12 2:41 PM
UGCTT croy_00
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had the opportunity to train with Werdum a couple years back, while he was still in Strikeforce. Anyhoo, I only trained no gi, but trained that day in my gi for the first time (I am also 150 lbs).

I was in his closed guard, and he grabbed onto a collar choke (I had no effing clue what he was doing). I woke up with my face rubbing against his chest, only to realized the professional photographer who was there that day was snapping several photos of my dumb unconscious face....
12/13/12 2:45 PM
melendez

red7 -  I met Ben Henderson at the Infantry conference a couple years ago. He was sponsored by a body armor company, so he spent the day at their booth. No one else seemed to know who he was, so I got to spend about an hour talking with him. Really cool guy, asked about the Army and thanked me for serving. He's the only fighter I met. I missed all the overseas visits, the Army limits those to the big FOBs mostly. Phone Post

Awesome man! Did you recognize him from the WEC? I'd never heard of him until I finally saw his match with Cerrone.

Also, why is the sky blue?

12/13/12 2:51 PM
AristidesBrito
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In 2000 I showed up to Louis Armstrong international.airport in new orleans to pick up my buddy. Mo Smith is standing around looking lost, he sees me with my ;rivals" shirt on (old school.fight gear co. for you new fans) & said "are you here to take me to my hotel" , it seems that SEG left him at the airport with no one to pick him up... I had a two seater, so I decided to rush him to his hotel and grab my friend afterwards.. Mo was super nice, gave me 4 tickets to watch him smash Bobby Hoffman Phone Post
12/13/12 3:03 PM
melendez

UGCTT croy_00 - I had the opportunity to train with Werdum a couple years back, while he was still in Strikeforce. Anyhoo, I only trained no gi, but trained that day in my gi for the first time (I am also 150 lbs).

I was in his closed guard, and he grabbed onto a collar choke (I had no effing clue what he was doing). I woke up with my face rubbing against his chest, only to realized the professional photographer who was there that day was snapping several photos of my dumb unconscious face....

Thats awesome. Jeez Id have thought he would take it a little easier on you. I met him in LB at the BJJ Worlds I think in June. He was there destroying every snack that the place sold, which wasn't a very wide selection whatsoever. I remember thinking to myself..."doesn't this dude fight in a few weeks or something?" I couldn't really remember for sure. I walked up to him while he was eating icecream and asked him if the food was his fight diet...He smiled and said "ya...i fighting Mike...ehhh...Mike...Mike Russa?" I thought it was funny that Fab didn't even know Mike Russows name and didn't seem to care:) The fight ended up being at the end of June in a few weeks.

He took a pic, signed my belt and went back to his snackery.

12/13/12 3:11 PM
rustyshakleford
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/13/12 3:11 PM
i was at RAW down in El Segundo shooting a video interview with Frank TRigg. While i was waiting to shoot the video, I was on the bench watching Dean Lister roll with a bunch of people, and then just like his namesake, Rico "the Ghost" Chiapparelli appeared out of NOWHERE! I sat there for a few more minutes, and then all of sudden off to my right i feel this hand grab my rib cage and roughly tickle me, i looked up and I see Frank Trigg smiling and saying "hey buddy, you gonna train?" i was so taken aback on so many levels, all i could mutter was "i didnt bring my stuff sir". this was right around 2002<br /> then i find out he was like a year older than me. ha ha ha.<br />super nice guy. <br />
12/13/12 3:17 PM
woe
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This goes way, way back but I'll throw it out there anyway because I thought it was cool.

I'm staying at Ceasar's for the Hagler, Hearns fight which Sugar Ray Leonard is doing the color commentary. The morning of the fight, I have a tennis game scheduled for 8 am with a friend and get there around 7:30 to warm up. There's nobody there but this one guy wearing a hoodie bouncing balls off the wall so I ask him if he wants to hit some around a little to warm up. He pulls the hoodie back and damn if it isn't Sugar Ray. We hit balls around until our games showed up. Awesome.
12/13/12 3:29 PM
SlapUsilly
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A few years ago, I was in Judo class at the school I train at and this guy came in with my instructor to train with us.

He was a white belt kinda tough and in good shape. Trained the whole class and rolled with a friend of mine to stalemate. Normal stuff y'know.

After class, we were all sitting down and I start talking to him. Real down to earth guy, said he was a blue belt under Jorge Gurgel and that he was from Ohio but was in the city to do some MMA stuff.
I noticed he had a tattoo on his belly button, found it odd, but whatever, y'know.. to each is peach.
I was like cool, man, keep it up, nice talking to you..etc.etc got changed up and everyone went home.

It doesn't hit me till about a year or two later, because one day i noticed the same belly button tattoo on this guy, from ohio, fighting in the UFC, that it was Matt Brown who i had chatted with. He obviously was in the area, at the time, to try out for TUF.

Ironically, basically the same situation, but in BJJ class, at the same school, I see this guy walk in after class with another guy , a blue belt that trained with us, puts on a black belt, and start training with the guy from our school.

I try to talk to him, later, but he was real short with words, and kinda cocky, but eventually tells me that he was going to be in the UFC and was training with Matt Serra at the time.

"WTF? who is this guy?" (there are a lot of bullshitters out there in the BJJ world) I thought. He rolled for a while with JT Torres who trained with us at the time and was a purple belt, and eventually caught him on a choke after maybe a half hour of back and forth. So obviously he was legit because JT was obviously on his way to being a top BJJ guy within a year or two later.

Turns out it was George Sotiropoluus and, yes, indeed he was in the UFC. Kinda cool, but definitely lacking in the personality department, which evident in that TUF season.

Moral of both stories?
Always carry a camera and take pics just in case.
12/13/12 3:34 PM
melendez

SlapUsilly - A few years ago, I was in Judo class at the school I train at and this guy came in with my instructor to train with us.

He was a white belt kinda tough and in good shape. Trained the whole class and rolled with a friend of mine to stalemate. Normal stuff y'know.

After class, we were all sitting down and I start talking to him. Real down to earth guy, said he was a blue belt under Jorge Gurgel and that he was from Ohio but was in the city to do some MMA stuff.
I noticed he had a tattoo on his belly button, found it odd, but whatever, y'know.. to each is peach.
I was like cool, man, keep it up, nice talking to you..etc.etc got changed up and everyone went home.

It doesn't hit me till about a year or two later, because one day i noticed the same belly button tattoo on this guy, from ohio, fighting in the UFC, that it was Matt Brown who i had chatted with. He obviously was in the area, at the time, to try out for TUF.

Ironically, basically the same situation, but in BJJ class, at the same school, I see this guy walk in after class with another guy , a blue belt that trained with us, puts on a black belt, and start training with the guy from our school.

I try to talk to him, later, but he was real short with words, and kinda cocky, but eventually tells me that he was going to be in the UFC and was training with Matt Serra at the time.

"WTF? who is this guy?" (there are a lot of bullshitters out there in the BJJ world) I thought. He rolled for a while with JT Torres who trained with us at the time and was a purple belt, and eventually caught him on a choke after maybe a half hour of back and forth. So obviously he was legit because JT was obviously on his way to being a top BJJ guy within a year or two later.

Turns out it was George Sotiropoluus and, yes, indeed he was in the UFC. Kinda cool, but definitely lacking in the personality department, which evident in that TUF season.

Moral of both stories?

awesome! No need for pics man I dont think you would type all that just to be full of shit. Sounds like you are going to really great school.

Speaking of Matt Brown, man he is really on a tear lately. I have enjoyed watching him for  a while now. After a win against a guy like Swick I can only wonder who he will draw for his next matchup.

12/13/12 3:44 PM
patches
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SlapUsilly - A few years ago, I was in Judo class at the school I train at and this guy came in with my instructor to train with us.

Moral of both stories?

i never cared much for george
12/13/12 5:04 PM
AristidesBrito
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is from one of my best friends (same guy on the have you met bj Penn thread)...He walks into a Gamecrazy in Vancouver,WA and Jeff Monson is in there looking at gameboy games, to play on his flight to Japan to fight Liddell. My buddy said Monson was super cool, shocked that he was recognized, my friend said "you're Jeff Monson right , you just won abu Dhabi ?" ... Monson started smiling , and was very cool..

Can you imagine A Japanese businessman sitting next to Monson on a plane, not knowing who he is, as big as he is, geeked out playing his gameboy.. Phone Post
12/13/12 5:23 PM
MJM1912
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Diaz said fuck you to me and then called me a bitch after he beat Cyborg.
12/13/12 5:28 PM
melendez

MJM1912 - Nick Diaz said fuck you to me and then called me a bitch after he beat Cyborg.

why the hell would he do that?

12/13/12 6:07 PM
Rear Naked Chode

melendez - 
MJM1912 - Nick Diaz said fuck you to me and then called me a bitch after he beat Cyborg.

Took the bait again.
12/13/12 6:11 PM
melendez

Rear Naked Chode - 
melendez - 

Took the bait again.

haha i suppose so..so young and impressionable I am.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.