UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Interesting Encounter w/fighter/MMA personality?

12/14/12 1:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tapciv
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a few cool experiences that I'll share later but one of the cooler more recent ones did not happen to me it happened to a training partner.

He has been training thai boxing for a few years, no pro fights yet but trains hard. After the most recent UFC in Montreal, Anderson Silva and Machida are in Toronto filming that movie "Tapped".

They are filming at the gym we train at and they ask for a thai fighter with at least some experience with a certain size. Only one that is there is one of my training partners.

So the deal is that he spar's with Anderson Silva for the movie for a quick bit and then gets to do a round with him for fun. After the recording part my training partner puts on his head gear and they have some light sparring but near the end Anderson catches him with a light head kick that somehow catches right above the eye (misses the headgear). He feels what he thought was sweat going into his eye and when he wiped it his glove was covered in blood. Ended up being cut and needed some stitches. Anderson felt pretty bad but our training partner was on cloud 9 that he was cut and scared by Anderson Silva.
12/14/12 2:03 AM
DarceJoke
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been a lurker for a bit and wasn't sure if I wanted to post, but since I read so many it reminded me of some of my encounters, so I will share....
1.) I was at the Fedor Werdum fight in San Jose when Fedor got subbed. My girlfriend and I had floor seats. After watching Fedor's head turn purple and he taps the crowd is completely silent and in shock. My girlfriend and I are screaming and freaking out because we realized that we just witnessed history. (both very drunk) There are some brazilian guys next to us waving their flag proudly and going crazy as well. We end up gravitating to each other and are all jumping around sharing our excitment with each other. They are wrapping the flag over us as we jump around frantically celebrating for like 2-3 minutes. As Werdum is walking down the walkway to exit to the back, the guys we are celebrating with jump the guard rail and begin to celebrate with Werdum and his corner... Turns out the guys were part of his team and train with him. I know it's wasn't a direct interaction with a fighter, but it was pretty awesome and ironic!
2.) I had met Gilbert at the same Strikeforce show and took a pick with him and told him I thought he was the baddest lightweight on the planet. Dude was super cool. But my drunk ass didn't save the picture I just took and it erased. After, Gilbert was swarmed with people and I just took it as a loss.
2.) I'm at a UFC in Aneheim and guys like Demarcus Johnson and Gilbert Melendez are walking around taking pics with people in the lobby. I (drunk again)see Brian Stann walking by. I go "Oh Shit Brian Stann" super loud.. Brian gives me the death stare and says, "Hey man, keep it down." and strolls away. It was hilarious.
3.) At the same Aneheim show I see people all around Gilbert, and I'm waiting patiently as he takes pics with fans. He then says, "all right guys sorry I gotta go." I'm right next to him and I tell him to hold up one sec and told him how I took a pic with him in San Jose and erased it, dude was awesome enough to talk to me for a sec and take a pic! Great experience.
4.) Back at the San Jose show I look up in the stands and see Jon Fitch and Cain Velasquez sitting next to each other watching the Fedor fight. As soon a the fight is over, I see both guys break for the exit. I tell my chick, to hurry so we can catch them. They were sitting a lever higher than us, (don't ask why)... so we had to run up the stairs to catch them. Jon was wearing a teal Dethrone shirt, so as I get up to the lobby level he exits, I'm looking for that shirt. All of a sudden I see a camera flash behind a pillar and I spot that teal shirt. I go over and am like, "Jon real quick pic please." I could tell he was trying to escape and he was cool enough to stop and take the pic with us. He even took off his glasses. Simple gesture but I appreciated that... He was beardless lol
12/14/12 2:17 AM
Enemies

Me and a buddy followed Renzo down the street in New York once. When he started beating my buddy up I ran like a bitch.
12/14/12 2:41 AM
melendez
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DarceJoke - Been a lurker for a bit and wasn't sure if I wanted to post, but since I read so many it reminded me of some of my encounters, so I will share....
1.) I was at the Fedor Werdum fight in San Jose when Fedor got subbed. My girlfriend and I had floor seats. After watching Fedor's head turn purple and he taps the crowd is completely silent and in shock. My girlfriend and I are screaming and freaking out because we realized that we just witnessed history. (both very drunk) There are some brazilian guys next to us waving their flag proudly and going crazy as well. We end up gravitating to each other and are all jumping around sharing our excitment with each other. They are wrapping the flag over us as we jump around frantically celebrating for like 2-3 minutes. As Werdum is walking down the walkway to exit to the back, the guys we are celebrating with jump the guard rail and begin to celebrate with Werdum and his corner... Turns out the guys were part of his team and train with him. I know it's wasn't a direct interaction with a fighter, but it was pretty awesome and ironic!
2.) I had met Gilbert at the same Strikeforce show and took a pick with him and told him I thought he was the baddest lightweight on the planet. Dude was super cool. But my drunk ass didn't save the picture I just took and it erased. After, Gilbert was swarmed with people and I just took it as a loss.
2.) I'm at a UFC in Aneheim and guys like Demarcus Johnson and Gilbert Melendez are walking around taking pics with people in the lobby. I (drunk again)see Brian Stann walking by. I go "Oh Shit Brian Stann" super loud.. Brian gives me the death stare and says, "Hey man, keep it down." and strolls away. It was hilarious.
3.) At the same Aneheim show I see people all around Gilbert, and I'm waiting patiently as he takes pics with fans. He then says, "all right guys sorry I gotta go." I'm right next to him and I tell him to hold up one sec and told him how I took a pic with him in San Jose and erased it, dude was awesome enough to talk to me for a sec and take a pic! Great experience.
4.) Back at the San Jose show I look up in the stands and see Jon Fitch and Cain Velasquez sitting next to each other watching the Fedor fight. As soon a the fight is over, I see both guys break for the exit. I tell my chick, to hurry so we can catch them. They were sitting a lever higher than us, (don't ask why)... so we had to run up the stairs to catch them. Jon was wearing a teal Dethrone shirt, so as I get up to the lobby level he exits, I'm looking for that shirt. All of a sudden I see a camera flash behind a pillar and I spot that teal shirt. I go over and am like, "Jon real quick pic please." I could tell he was trying to escape and he was cool enough to stop and take the pic with us. He even took off his glasses. Simple gesture but I appreciated that... He was beardless lol

Gil is awesome. My little bro and I met him at an expo. My bro had never met anyone before so he was experiencing a sensory overload seeing all these guys walking to and fro. Gilberts line was terribly short as was Dan Cormiers. Gilber was hurt or something at that time-think it was a hand or arm injury. Anyways...prior to my bro going over to GIls line I had run over there when it was very short a few moments prior while my bro was getting a pic with T-Wood. I explained to Gil that I wanted to prank my bro...so I told him when my bro comes over...pretend that he's pissed at him or something. To my shock, Gil totally went along with it.

My bro goes to get an autograph and is basically frozen. Gil stands up out of this chair he had been sitting in and says something like "yo I heard you were talking some mess...here I am...say it to my face" Im pretty sure Gil was the first fighter he had ever met. My bro was frozen, confused, and probably shitting his panties.Gil cracks a smile and says hes kidding. Gil signs his stuff and then hands him the championship bet sayin "here..go ahead and hold it...take a pic.." My brother thought it was a joke...he said no im not allowed to touch that shit...Gil again insisted and handed my little brother the belt again and told him to take a picture.Basically like demanding at this point...The rest of us were all in the line laughing at how scared shitless my little bro looked. But I was happy for him. Im pretty sure my little bro needed a change of undies after that incident...Tru story..

12/14/12 2:52 AM
DarceJoke
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

melendez - 
DarceJoke - Been a lurker for a bit and wasn't sure if I wanted to post, but since I read so many it reminded me of some of my encounters, so I will share....

Gil is awesome. My little bro and I met him at an expo. My bro had never met anyone before so he was experiencing a sensory overload seeing all these guys walking to and fro. Gilberts line was terribly short as was Dan Cormiers. Gilber was hurt or something at that time-think it was a hand or arm injury. Anyways...prior to my bro going over to GIls line I had run over there when it was very short a few moments prior while my bro was getting a pic with T-Wood. I explained to Gil that I wanted to prank my bro...so I told him when my bro comes over...pretend that he's pissed at him or something. To my shock, Gil totally went along with it.

My bro goes to get an autograph and is basically frozen. Gil stands up out of this chair he had been sitting in and says something like "yo I heard you were talking some mess...here I am...say it to my face" Im pretty sure Gil was the first fighter he had ever met. My bro was frozen, confused, and probably shitting his panties.Gil cracks a smile and says hes kidding. Gil signs his stuff and then hands him the championship bet sayin "here..go ahead and hold it...take a pic.." My brother thought it was a joke...he said no im not allowed to touch that shit...Gil again insisted and handed my little brother the belt again and told him to take a picture.Basically like demanding at this point...The rest of us were all in the line laughing at how scared shitless my little bro looked. But I was happy for him. Im pretty sure my little bro needed a change of undies after that incident...Tru story..

Haha nice dude. That cracked me up. Yea your bro kinda has a nervous look on his face, And Gil looks like he got a good kick out of it too. haha Not much scarier than a pro fighter having an issue with you. Great stuff!
12/14/12 2:56 AM
melendez
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bro you are like the 3rd person to talk about the Brian Stann stare of death. Seems that you love your alcohol. Im sure being at teh Fedor Werdum fight must have been amazing man. Still can't believe it went down that way but you cant be on top of the mountain forever. Since that time Fab has been on a real tear except for his Reem fight.

Funny you bring up Demarcus Johnson...he kissed my ex girlfriend once in a pic..gota dig that one up. Also, I didn't know this but Demarcus was also a Soldier. He did 4 years and got out before TUF. He was stationed with a Special Forces unit out of Fort Bragg which I thought was funny as hell to hear. He didnt sound like he enjoyed the Army very much. You always hear Goldie talking about the military service of other folks in the octogon but never Demarcus. Always found that odd. He talks about Randy being in the Army all the time.

12/14/12 2:59 AM
melendez

Johnson was born and raised in West Jordan, Utah, he and his family were poor and lived in a bad part of the town.[2] Johnson was primarily raised by his Mormon mother, as his father died when he was nine years old.[2] Johnson attended and graduated from Kearns High School. In 2000, Johnson joined the United States Army and National Guard, an option given to him as a kid to get out of some trouble.[2] Johnson worked in the S-1 and did paperwork for other Soldiers while assigned to a Special Forces Group.

See???

12/14/12 3:00 AM
melendez

Johnson worked in the S-1 and did paperwork for other Soldiers while assigned to a Special Forces Group......This part is pretty much positively bullshit..but who knows...

12/14/12 3:05 AM
Thomas Covenant

I was at UFC 9 for the travesty that was the "Superfight" of Ken Shamrock/Dan Severn. This was at Cobo Hall in Detroit. My buddy and I were hanging out trying to decide what to do afterward and Severn comes walking by. I said "Hey Dan, good fight" and he replies with "Hey what can you do?" The state of Michigan was freaked out by the UFC at that time and had banned closed fists for that event. Anyhoo Severn was super cool and gave us his autograph and shook our hands.

Not even 5 minutes later a group of guys comes walking up and it's Shamrock and the Lions Den. My buddy yells "Dude it's Shamrock! Go get his autograph!" He pushes me forward and apparently I got a little too close and one of the guys with Shamrock hits me with an open palm to the chest and drops me on the ground.

My friend about pissed his pants and I just looked at the guy and said "I guess he's not signing autographs huh?" I've hated Shamrock ever since.
12/14/12 3:14 AM
melendez

ROFL! Dude you got Buddha Punched by the "worlds most dangerous man...." Then you got up...strangely noticed there was flood coming from your mouth...took 5 steps...fell down again and died.!

Thanks for sharing this one

12/14/12 3:16 AM
DarceJoke

melendez - 

bro you are like the 3rd person to talk about the Brian Stann stare of death. Seems that you love your alcohol. Im sure being at teh Fedor Werdum fight must have been amazing man. Still can't believe it went down that way but you cant be on top of the mountain forever. Since that time Fab has been on a real tear except for his Reem fight.

Funny you bring up Demarcus Johnson...he kissed my ex girlfriend once in a pic..gota dig that one up. Also, I didn't know this but Demarcus was also a Soldier. He did 4 years and got out before TUF. He was stationed with a Special Forces unit out of Fort Bragg which I thought was funny as hell to hear. He didnt sound like he enjoyed the Army very much. You always hear Goldie talking about the military service of other folks in the octogon but never Demarcus. Always found that odd. He talks about Randy being in the Army all the time.

Yea man, Brian's military personality definitely shows through when he gives the stare. I was nervous and thrilled! ha I didn't get a pic with him because I'm pretty sure he was working as an analyst trying to get back to work.

As far as that Fedor fight goes... It was the most fun ive ever had period. It hurt to see the G.O.A.T. go down, but as u said, it doesn't last forever. The vibe in the air was one of the trippyest things ive ever felt in my life. It was so quiet you could hear individual OMGs all around. Unreal.

And Werdum can sub anyone in the division in the proper position. Ever since that night i've never counted the man out. I give him the benefit of a doubt when I'm considering my fight pics with him involved.

As for Demarcus, that dude is a hell of a nice guy. He does that thumbs up and cheesy smile in every pic he takes with fans. Bummer he is no longer in the big show. Any word on where he is going to be fighting?
12/14/12 3:16 AM
DarceJoke

melendez - 

Yea man, Brian's military personality definitely shows through when he gives the stare. I was nervous and thrilled! ha I didn't get a pic with him because I'm pretty sure he was working as an analyst trying to get back to work.

As far as that Fedor fight goes... It was the most fun ive ever had period. It hurt to see the G.O.A.T. go down, but as u said, it doesn't last forever. The vibe in the air was one of the trippyest things ive ever felt in my life. It was so quiet you could hear individual OMGs all around. Unreal.

And Werdum can sub anyone in the division in the proper position. Ever since that night i've never counted the man out. I give him the benefit of a doubt when I'm considering my fight pics with him involved.

As for Demarcus, that dude is a hell of a nice guy. He does that thumbs up and cheesy smile in every pic he takes with fans. Bummer he is no longer in the big show. Any word on where he is going to be fighting?
12/14/12 3:32 AM
DarceJoke

I also met Dan Henderson at a local OTM by my house at an autograph signing. I got a pic with me, Dan, and my girlfriend who was pregnant at the time. Pretty sweet that I will be able to show my little girl that she met a legend of the sport when she was in the womb.
12/14/12 7:44 AM
JOB
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only thing that stands out was when we and a buddy of mine went to London a few years back to train with Roger Gracie and so a private with him. We were working on sweeps, and everytime Roger swept me - he would say "Weeeeeeeeeee!!!" as if he was pushing a kid on a swing. I was cracking up.
12/14/12 9:42 AM
melendez

JOB - The only thing that stands out was when we and a buddy of mine went to London a few years back to train with Roger Gracie and so a private with him. We were working on sweeps, and everytime Roger swept me - he would say "Weeeeeeeeeee!!!" as if he was pushing a kid on a swing. I was cracking up.

If you are for real...this is funny as hell

12/14/12 9:59 AM
melendez

Jenz Pulver Story:

During the UFC Fan Expos there are tons of guys who are scheduled to appear and then other guys who are not really scheduled but end up coming anyways. I'll tell you about when Ken Shamrock came and started talking shit so about 10 fans stood around him cursing and calling him every name in the book.

Anyways, me and my little bro are walking around and I see Jenz Pulver walking around with  a backpack on..The funniest thing is that he was wearing a Philadelphia Phillies ballcap. Since my bro and I are from Philly I thought it was cool. I called out to Jenz who looked shocked to be recognized (thats a shame). Im like "Yo Jenz you are from Philly? Shit I always thought you were from Idaho or Iowa or something"...He laughed and said "Nahhh man Im not from Philly." So, me being a stupid ass asks him why in the hell he is wearing a Philly hat if  hes not from Philly (forgetting that im wearing a chicago cap and my bro wearing a KC cap). Jenz looks at me like im half-retarded and says...I dunoo...why the fuck are you wearing a Chicago hat buddy if youre from PHilly?? Then we all burst out laughing. I felt like a real McAsshole. Anyways he remarked that he wore a Philly cap because of the big P on the front just like his last name.

He was really friendly and seemed so excited for someone to say whats up. As you know, Jenz was the shit in his prime. But he peaked out way before the new era of the UFC began.

12/14/12 10:01 AM
melendez

ObamaCare - 

Darcejoke- lol @ brian stan "keep it down"

you should have replied "SIR, YES SIR!" as loud as possible while saluting him

No he should have said "THIS IS MY RIFLE!!!! THERE ARE OTHERS LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE!!!!!!"

12/14/12 10:07 AM
Furyan

Met Randy at the airport about a week or two after his fight with Tito at UFC 44. He was at the same baggage claim as I was and I told him "great fight." He looked at me and said,"wasn't too hard, it was only Tito." I laughed and he offered to sign a shirt he had. Seemed like a cool dude. Phone Post
12/14/12 10:21 AM
EliWaterhouse

I got the chance to hang out with Daron Cruickshank a few times and also help him film his web series. This one time, I was over there helping him film, there was a scene that he need to front kick a zombie so he could knock it down. I offered to play the zombie. He said to me "I dont want to kick you too hard." and I told him "make it look as real as possible." Needless to say he ended up kicking the shit outta me like 7 or 8 times. Also, another time I went to help him film and he had Nick Newell over. Daron was training with Nick for like an hour before we shot any zombie footage. Both Nick and Daron are hilarious. we spent most of the time just laughing our asses off and arguing about Star Wars and talking about how Nick's college roommate was a pro wrestler. It was an amazing experience.
12/14/12 11:33 AM
dmjr98
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great stories! I hope to have some in the near future Phone Post
12/14/12 12:09 PM
WrestlingSucks
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mikey Burnett showed me some piercings of his in the mens room laughing like a maniac. then he high fived me and walked out. my life has been dildos ever since
12/14/12 12:22 PM
SlapUsilly
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're a BJJ old-head like me (Started in '98), and from the NYC/NJ area, then at some point in your life, you've met Renzo.

My meeting him was in 99 at a local GQ tournament at the County College of Morris (for those who are from NJ).

Sidenote: He was there coaching his guys who were huge in the local bjj scene and some who would be stars later on. Matt and Nick Serra, Ricardo Almeida and a few others..

This event happened a few weeks or days after the NYC wildings during the Puerto Rican day parade, where a bunch of women got groped and fondled by the crowd.. so it was kinda shameful to be a Puerto Rican for a few weeks in the area.

Well, guess who was the white belt with the Puerto Rican patch on his gi?... Me.

I walk by Renzo to ask him for a pic and before i say anything he points at my flag patch and yells "Puerto Rico.....eeeeehhhhhhhhhhh!!!" With a big grin and gives me a thumbs up. I knew what he was saying although he didn't say it.

Looked at him and shrugged my shoulders kinda saying.."yea.. i know"

Then i asked for the pic and give the camera to someone, and renzo grabs me by the shoulder and takes the pic with me.

I was star struck because in 98, the Gracies were my idols, and this guy that i saw fight when i was like 15 at the WEC, was now taking the time to make fun of me AND take a pic.

Cool guy.
12/14/12 12:29 PM
SlapUsilly
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also met Jeremy Horn at another GQ also in 99.
He beat Scott Schultz in a super fight.

Thing is, that not long before that, in the old Fighting Talk forum... or the Mousel's forum, Jeremy had said that he was going to focus on fighting, and a lot of people pretty much called him a fat fuck and that he wasn't going to be anything. And now here he was, thin, in shape and beating some good people in grappling.

Walked up to him, shook his hand and told him to ignore the forums, that they were crazy.

He smiled, said thank you and that was that.
12/14/12 1:10 PM
melendez

SlapUsilly - If you're a BJJ old-head like me (Started in '98), and from the NYC/NJ area, then at some point in your life, you've met Renzo.

My meeting him was in 99 at a local GQ tournament at the County College of Morris (for those who are from NJ).

Sidenote: He was there coaching his guys who were huge in the local bjj scene and some who would be stars later on. Matt and Nick Serra, Ricardo Almeida and a few others..

This event happened a few weeks or days after the NYC wildings during the Puerto Rican day parade, where a bunch of women got groped and fondled by the crowd.. so it was kinda shameful to be a Puerto Rican for a few weeks in the area.

Well, guess who was the white belt with the Puerto Rican patch on his gi?... Me.

I walk by Renzo to ask him for a pic and before i say anything he points at my flag patch and yells "Puerto Rico.....eeeeehhhhhhhhhhh!!!" With a big grin and gives me a thumbs up. I knew what he was saying although he didn't say it.

Looked at him and shrugged my shoulders kinda saying.."yea.. i know"

Then i asked for the pic and give the camera to someone, and renzo grabs me by the shoulder and takes the pic with me.

I was star struck because in 98, the Gracies were my idols, and this guy that i saw fight when i was like 15 at the WEC, was now taking the time to make fun of me AND take a pic.

Cool guy.

THIS!!!! Yet ANOTHER awesome Renzo story...I think Renzo should read some of this stuff man. Seems like wherever her is he is cracking jokes and making people smile. Love that guy.

12/14/12 1:16 PM
Babaca

A few months back I invited a few people over to watch the UFC. One of my buddies text and asked if he could bring someone with him. I asked him who and he says "Bas Rutten." I laughed it off, but another friend told me that they were in town because the studio they use for Inside MMA was being remodeled. My buddy pulled up out front and sure as shit, Bas gets out of the car.

He comes in and is cool as hell! We had just got a kitten a few days before and he sees it, instantly picks it up, and starts taking pics with it to post them to his Facebook. He eventually lets the cat have some beer from his bottle, watches the fights, eats food and is like one of our friends the whole night! He is exactly like he seems. Very nice guy, let us all geek out and take pics and was completely gracious. Funny as hell too.

He was in my top 5 of MMA celebs I wanted to meet and to have him come to my house and hang out was awesome.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.