UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Georgii Zantaria coming to KCMO!

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/12/12 7:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tortosa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/12/12 7:27 PM

Judo Olympian, Georgii Zantaraia, Comes to NLD

From the Ukraine to New York to Kansas City...Northland Judo Club (NLD) is excited to announce that we will be hosting a judo clinic put on by the 2012 Olympian, Georgii Zantaraia.

There will will be two clinics offered on JANUARY 23, 2013 an adult clinic for $30 per adult (15+ years), and a youth clinic for $15 per person (7-14 years). Pre-registration is required, please register below to attend.

The "Ukraine Cat"

Clinic Details and Registration:

Clinic Date: Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Clinic Time: Youth - 6:00 PM Adult - 7:30 PM

Location: Parkville Athletic Complex (PAC) 6014 N. Hwy. 9, Parkville, MO 64152

Adult Registration ($30 pp)
12/12/12 7:28 PM
Tortosa

http://nld-wrestling-judo.blogspot.com/2012/12/judo-olympian-georgii-zantaraia-visits.html

12/12/12 9:35 PM
Seong gyeong
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, I wish I were nearby. Please let us know how it goes, take some pics/vids. Always a fan of his.
12/13/12 8:45 AM
russkisambist
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also seminar in PA Phone Post
12/14/12 12:17 AM
OCJudoTrngCtr
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/14/12 12:54 AM

Let us know if he is coming to the west coast.  Also, let me hyperlink the clinic info for you.

http://nld-wrestling-judo.blogspot.com/2012/12/judo-olympian-georgii-zantaraia-visits.html

12/14/12 11:36 AM
Tortosa

Thanks guys. My understanding is that he's hitting Jason Morris' club in NY and than will come to KC. Not sure of his schedule after that.

12/14/12 12:47 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he would like to come to California and see Disneyland, Hollywood and the Bay Area, and enjoy some warm weather and sunshine have him contact us via e-mail on our website  http://www.ocjudo.com/contact.html   I might be able to make that happen.

12/14/12 2:04 PM
Tortosa

will do. I have a contact I'm working through and I will let him know. Any one he should ask for?

Thanks!
12/14/12 2:36 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

No.   Not sure which one  of us will answer. 

12/14/12 8:53 PM
Tortosa

Ok, I forwarded him your email.
12/14/12 9:25 PM
Outkaster
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man that would be awesome.
12/14/12 10:49 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Thank you.   Looking forward to hearing from him.  Hopefully, we can make something happen.

12/15/12 7:35 AM
Tortosa

Sure no problem. "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer with with a seminar with Zantaria claus for all to hear"

:-)
12/15/12 8:24 PM
Tortosa

sorry, bad joke, reference "the elf"
12/15/12 9:00 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Hi Tortosa,

It wasn't bad at all, and I actually got it.  Elf is one of my wife's favorite recent Christmas movies.  I haven't heard from anyone yet, so I don't have any news, whether good or disappointing, to share on the thread.

12/16/12 6:07 PM
Tortosa

Ha! Glad you got it! Annual tradition to watch elf now.

my contact is out of town for work. I did send him a personal message on face book. If you don't here anything, shoot me an email and remind me in a few days.

jahjitz@kc.rr.com

Thanks
12/16/12 10:41 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Thanks, and I wrote down your e-mail in case I don't hear by Tuesday or Wednesday.

12/21/12 3:27 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well???? any news?
12/21/12 5:34 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

None yet.  I'll call you if there is any.

1/26/13 11:36 PM
Tortosa

the seminar was great. Georgii is an incredible technician and we ended up with about 75 people attending between area youth and adults.

georgii showed some nice grip fighting techniques, (killing the stiff arm, making the "rope" on the back), several "basic" throws (his basics were complex and explosive, i was amazed at the incredible kinetic energy he could generate.

He discussed the angle to finishing the throw, the importance of the incoming shoulder, and ending the throw. he also showed his favorite throw Kosoto gari. We had a few wrestlers and a lot of bjjer's so he did show some from over/under grips, gi less and his "body judo" style.

I got to roll with him one day, which was fun. I'm 210 bjj brown belt/judo black belt and he is 150lbs soaking wet. It was fun and controlled and he was very good on the ground in his skill set. he would crush most 150lb'ers in any grappling art with 6 months to familiarize himself with their attack patterns and imposing his grappling style.

he was a lot of fun and the kids loved him.
1/27/13 8:37 AM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Edited: 01/27/13 9:01 AM

I got to watch him yesterday at Mojica Judo Club in Baldwin Park at a last minute clinic.  It was by total luck that I got to see him. I decided to take my granddaughter to Mojica Judo Club for some extra practice.  It turns out that Georgii did come to California and was at a club in Glendale on Thursday night.  Tony Mojica was there and was so amazed that he asked him to come to Mojica Judo Club on Saturday.  It wasn't advertised at all because Tony did not have time to get a sanction.

I texted most of my black belts, but the only one who could make it last minute was Juan, the head instructor. So, my granddaughter got to do the Kids clinic and Juan got there in time for the Adult clinic.

In the Kids Clinic, he taught them his O Goshi and his O Soto Gari.  What was kind of cool was he taught the O Goshi virtually the exact same way that Rustu, one of the instructors in our Kids class teaches it. He gets his hips in extremely deep, great bend and generates a lot of torque in the finish. He then showed his O Soto Gari attack to the kids which they practiced walking and executing on the 4th step.

The end of the Kids class was the show stopper. He demonstrated a bunch of ways that he can turn out of techniques that leaves you staring mouth wide open. We've all seen it on YouTube, but I'm telling you my friends, you really got to be there as well.  My wife, not the biggest judo fan in the world was spellbound. She could not believe how great he was. She even said that she was so happy to get to see him, because she never saw anyone like him.  He emphasized to the kids that the only reason that he can sometimes execute those techniques in competition was because his opponents left some gaps in their attacks. If they executed the attacks leaving no space with full commitment, he would not be able to do them. Simple, yet great advice.

He closed with a little talk to the kids about the importance of giving 100% when you compete in tournaments. If you don't want to give 100%, he said to just not go. He said it was disrespectful to the parents and others who support you in your judo studies to not give 100%.  He actually made the same commentary to the adults as well, without the parental aside. He then took pictures with individuals and groups and signed a bunch of autographs on some very nice glossy cards that he has of himself. Gracious the entire time.

The adult class he began with teaching his uchimata and showed some slight differences between his and the Japanese version.  It was unfortunate that I did not have pen and paper with me because he also taught several attacks. I don't know if they really have names, but we classify everything by the official Kodokan techniques.  The first one was what I would call a modified utsuri Goshi where he steps into his opponent, grabs him tightly lifts him, assisted by his leg also bumping up the opponent from his inner thigh and then spinning into a big hip throw. He showed another big attack that I would classify as a modified yoko otoshi, another attack I would call a sasae tsuri komi ashi makikomi,  and he also taught his O Uchi Gari. Again, some incredible demonstration of technique, speed and power. My wife was amazed again. He then ended the class the same way as he did with the Kids class.

He wasn't as patient with the adults as he was with the kids, as he would tell them after each time they practiced what he demonstrated, that they were not gripping correctly, or entering correctly, and that they needed to pay closer attention. It was not said with any anger, just very matter of factly, and for one I'm glad he made the point.  It really reinforced to me, that everyone should go to a clinic with pen and paper in hand, because writing it I believe helps with practicing it.

I tried to take some action pictures, but I'm no photographer and by the time my Galaxy S3 made the clicking sound,  the throw was already done. I took a little video of him turning out of the techniques with my wife's Iphone during the adult class that was very erratic and proves that I'm no Spielberg. My wife did get a few pictures and I'll send the video to my Social media guys today, and maybe they can crop it down to something you can watch.  We'll  put what pictures we have, and maybe an edited version of the video up on our Facebook account later today or some time tomorrow.

Juan agreed with me about how amazing Zantaraia really is. His fiancee is Russian, and he brought her to the clinic. She and Georgii had a little conversation and he said he will be competing at the Worlds in September, but might be coming back to the States with his wife and new son for a visit later in the year.  Tony is also talking about having him out here in November. If you are a judoka and do not go to that event if it happens, you simply don't appreciate great judo enough to call yourself a judoka.

1/27/13 12:49 PM
aaronlapoi
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went to the Zantaraia seminar in KC and also took a 2 hour private with him. I am a BJJ black belt who has trained with some of the best BJJ guys of all time, and I can honestly say that learning from Zantaraia and watching him execute his techniques was one of the highlights of my 20+ years in the martial arts.
12/4/13 9:51 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Edited: 12/04/13 10:01 PM

Just TTing in case anyone on the forum wants to watch him live. He is up in one match on Mat 1. Quarter finals of Jeju.

http://www.ippon.tv

EDIT: I AM THE BIGGEST JINX EVER.

12/5/13 4:13 PM
Seong gyeong
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot that tournament was going down now. I'll have to rewatch Day 1 but can see Day 2 this evening.
12/5/13 4:17 PM
Seong gyeong

Good to see that Kim Jae-bum is competing for Day 2. Round 1, woe unto Moustopoulos.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.