UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mark Hominick retires at 30.

12/12/12 8:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GSP24
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC.com

There are plenty of athletes in mixed martial arts who have earned the comment “you don’t seem like a fighter,” but no one really pulled it off like Mark Hominick. In a sport full of class acts, the Thamesford, Ontario native – who retired at the age of 30 Tuesday – may have been the classiest.

Soft-spoken, polite, always generous with his time, and willing to help out at a moment’s notice for anything, including a last-minute quote on fight week, Hominick was an ambassador for the sport in the days when it needed one the most. So when he would reveal that his parents really didn’t want him to pursue the sport professionally, especially with a Business and Administration degree from the University of Windsor in his hand, that wasn’t surprising, because once you talked to him, you didn’t want to see him get hit either.

That never bothered “The Machine” though, simply because beneath the smiling exterior, he was always all fighter. A protégé of the late Shawn Tompkins, Hominick came up with his two brothers in arms, Sam Stout and Chris Horodecki, and together, the trio of young guns from Canada thrilled fans around the world with their brand of MMA magic.

A pro since 2002, Hominick made his name on the local circuit, losing some, winning most, but always showing up to deliver a fight. In 2006, he was called in for his UFC debut against Yves Edwards, who at that time was considered by many to be one of the best, if not the best, lightweights in the world. Hominick stunned Edwards and the MMA world with a second round submission win, and things would never be the same for the humble kid from Ontario ever again. He was destined for the world stage, and for most of the ensuing six years that’s where he would remain, whether in the UFC or the WEC, where he finally got to compete at 145 pounds and not give away the physical advantages he was surrendering at lightweight.

By 2010, Hominick would hit his stride at featherweight, submitting Bryan Caraway, stopping Yves Jabouin, and decisioning Leonard Garcia. At the end of that year, the WEC would merge with the UFC, and after Hominick knocked out George Roop in January of 2011, he got a title shot with Jose Aldo at UFC 129 in April of that year.

Hominick’s first UFC title fight was also his first bout in his home province, and in front of over 55,000 fans to boot. He didn’t win that night in Toronto, but his gutsy five round effort pushed Aldo to the limit and earned the pair Fight of the Night honors.

Defeats against Chan Sung Jung, Eddie Yagin (another Fight of the Night performance), and Pablo Garza would put a cap on Hominick’s 20-12 pro career, but no losses would hit him as hard as those of his father and of Tompkins. Hominick soldiered on, and with his marriage and the birth of his daughter Raeya (the couple also has another child on the way), he has plenty of joy in his life to temper that sadness he handled with a brave face over the last few years.

And though most would argue that, at 30, he still has plenty to offer to the fight game, sometimes the wisest move is to leave when you know you still can compete with the best in the world, and that’s what Hominick did Tuesday.

Simply put, no one deserves a happy retirement more. Phone Post
12/12/12 8:20 PM
Mrbrownfolks
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Might be a relatively young but he has a lot of miles.
12/12/12 8:21 PM
Tom O'BJPenn=Legend
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad day. Hominick has an incredible personality. Phone Post
12/12/12 8:22 PM
Winston Wolf

warrior
12/12/12 8:26 PM
mmavixen
1091 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom O'BJPenn=Legend -  Sad day. Hominick has an incredible personality. Phone Post

This.

We need more Hominicks in the UFC.

12/12/12 8:48 PM
Dana Stern

Man I could watch Hominick fight on every fight card, every Saturday night, forever. His skill and technique combined with his cardio and heart just made every fight exciting win or lose. Maybe it's selfish but I am bummed he's retiring, I hope it's not because he's lost a couple because he faced a few tough guys during a tough time in his life. Hope he has a long great happy life with his family and I know as a fan I will miss seeing him fight. Never forget him coming out to face Aldo so determined and pushing it to the final bell! Amazing! Phone Post
12/12/12 9:33 PM
DEZBOT

Tom O'BJPenn=Legend - Sad day. Hominick has an incredible personality. Phone Post
Ok Phone Post
12/12/12 9:42 PM
JOESONDO
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had the opportunity to talk to him quite a bit on a trip to see the UFC. Super nice guy and real bright. Wish him all the best. Phone Post
12/12/12 10:52 PM
FreightTrain

Hopefully he will continue to be a part of MMA on some level. We need more like him in the sport.
12/12/12 10:52 PM
Forward

To me not yet MARK! u are the greatest!!! some how u will make a come back champ!!!

Machine will BE BACK!!!!!
12/12/12 10:54 PM
Forward

I don't agree with u MARK, u still got sooo much more fight in you champ!!!!! and all I want to say is ... I love watching your fight!!!
12/13/12 12:04 AM
SKARHEAD
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too bad.

Mark Hominick vs Yve Edwards was an AMAZING fight and one of if not THE best example of sharp, technical striking used in an actual MMA match...and then finished with a sub.

Watch this fight as proof that the MMA rule set doesn't require fighters to fight sloppy and wing their punches Chris Leben style
12/13/12 1:03 AM
HandyDarsh
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good ol Canadian boy, I'm sure he will be successful in whatever he plans on doing next. Phone Post
12/13/12 1:18 AM
KremeDipEagle
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hopefully it's a retire for a lil while and get back at it type scenario. Love watching him fight and he can still compete at a high level. Made that Aldo fight real interesting. Phone Post
12/13/12 1:22 AM
HandyDarsh
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cjlom21 - Could careless. im sure he wont be successful he dedicated his life to a corrupt sport and prob cant pay bills.

sure his whole body is broken down and hes a little tiny dude with nothing else.

O ok hell be a "MMA TRAINER", hahhahahahahahhahaa
This guy obviously created this account to troll. So classy. Phone Post
12/13/12 2:03 AM
JoDaddy
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark i a great guy and probably has a good reason. Hope him the best
12/13/12 2:37 AM
Attila
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even though he's retiring at 30, he had a memorable career filled with great fights and took a good crack at the title against the best fighter of all time at his weight. Not many guys can say that.
12/13/12 2:55 AM
UGCTT_mousetrap
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cjlom21 - Could careless. im sure he wont be successful he dedicated his life to a corrupt sport and prob cant pay bills.

sure his whole body is broken down and hes a little tiny dude with nothing else.

U must have a pretty pathetic life to say shit like that to make you feel good Phone Post
12/13/12 4:18 AM
KremeDipEagle

UGCTT_mousetrap -

U must have a pretty pathetic life to say shit like that to make you feel good Phone Post
Yeah man. What's with the nuclear level of keyboard warrior trolling these days here? This site is turning into a pubeless disrespect fest. Phone Post
12/13/12 4:50 AM
Nucky

Hold your head up high Hominick your still the only guy who took the killer Jose Aldo to the limits thats saying a lot as far as your skills go.

12/13/12 5:37 AM
FatBuddha
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every man must make his own decisions but to an outsider, that seems way too young in this day and age. Even if he needs a bunch of rehab from long term injuries etc that will take 2 years to recover from, he would come back at age 32 which is still plenty young. I wonder if he will be itching to get back in there, 1 to 3 years from now. He may have other goals though, like opening a thai boxing gym or whatever.
12/13/12 10:03 AM
Crush Crawfish
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana Stern -  Man I could watch Hominick fight on every fight card, every Saturday night, forever. His skill and technique combined with his cardio and heart just made every fight exciting win or lose. Maybe it's selfish but I am bummed he's retiring, I hope it's not because he's lost a couple because he faced a few tough guys during a tough time in his life. Hope he has a long great happy life with his family and I know as a fan I will miss seeing him fight. Never forget him coming out to face Aldo so determined and pushing it to the final bell! Amazing! Phone Post

VTFU
12/13/12 10:07 AM
FunkMasterJoe
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana Stern - Man I could watch Hominick fight on every fight card, every Saturday night, forever. His skill and technique combined with his cardio and heart just made every fight exciting win or lose. Maybe it's selfish but I am bummed he's retiring, I hope it's not because he's lost a couple because he faced a few tough guys during a tough time in his life. Hope he has a long great happy life with his family and I know as a fan I will miss seeing him fight. Never forget him coming out to face Aldo so determined and pushing it to the final bell! Amazing! Phone Post
This! Couldn't have said it any better. Phone Post
12/13/12 10:13 AM
Trane

I met Mark when he was just a 19yr old kid fighting in local shows, he's come a long way as a fighter and a man.

Good luck Mark!
12/13/12 10:22 AM
dingdong_malice

For a featherweight 30 is a little old, hominick was great and im going to miss him fight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.