UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Each UFC card should only Feature 1 Weight Class

12/18/12 9:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Son of Neckbone
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The negative sticking point continues to be the extreme lighter weights.

The thing is, you are going to get these fights regardless. The division is created, the fighters are there, so the fights will happen.

If you truly have no interest in these fights, you could skip them all by avoiding that particular event entirely. If you do have interest, it provides clarity and intrigue to the contest.

I don't think the format needs to be absolutely rigid and only feature a single weight class however. The "all HW card" of ufc 146 was actually 5 HW fights on the main card, and then a hodgepodge of classes for the 8 fight undercard.

Easily you could relegate the BW division into the prelims on FuelTV, and have the main card PPV or Fox with a more marquee wt class like HW.

Regardless of how it will sort everything out, I like this idea.
12/18/12 10:11 AM
Scandle6161
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if anythin have the ppv events like that but leave the rest of the shows the same. Personnaly i dont think it will work tho Phone Post
12/18/12 3:15 PM
SinCityHustler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 
SupesUp -  I think you overestimate how often these guys, especially top guys fight. Otherwise it's a capital idea. Phone Post

the beauty is the top guys dont have to fight that often... each division keeps moving forward.  if a champ wants to take the next event off, you make the main event a #1 contenders bout and place it on free TV.  this way the marketplace gets to sample a main card with every weight class during the year for free (in addition to the free prelims) and you get to pull them back into ppv for the next one with the champ returning.

If the champ misses more then one you create an interim title and then unify... again no matter what happens, the division keeps moving forward. 

I like your idea a lot.   I hope this happens.  But please, enough with the interim titles.  They are garbage and take prestige from what it means to be a champ.  Carwin is a world champion, remember that.  Condit is a wolrd champion.  Those two take from the prestige fo being the champion and you want to hand out interim title shots at every opportunity.  Why?  This si a great model, lets not mkae the belt worth less than it already is after these free titles shots that heve been pased out by passing out more belts to guys who haven't earned them.  Other than that, fantastic.  

12/18/12 4:04 PM
Son of Neckbone
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interim titles are garbage.

If a champ can't defend in a reasonable amount of time, title should be stripped and have them be defacto #1 contender for the title once they are able to return.
12/19/12 8:52 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 12/19/12 8:55 AM

^ for marketing purposes they work.  but I understand why you, clientk9 and sincityhustler dont like them.

the divisions need to keep moving forward so my suggestion is that if a champ misses 2 events you have an interim title. 

the problem with stripping is that you takeaway something from usually a dominant champ and thus the division... people will complain that the new champ didnt beat the old champ...   with an interim title you're only adding to the division.

so there's a problem with every scenario and I believe the interim title presents the least problems.

If you only have #1 contender bouts while the champ is absent then it's hard for the division to keep moving forward as it's always waiting for the champ to return.

If you strip the title then people will complain the new champ didnt beat the old champ so how can the old champ lose his title if he was never beaten.

if you use interim titles you have complaints but it's not as bad... plus it becomes a marketing boost when you have have the unification match.

yes carwin and condit are now known as champs... but it added buys to both the events when they fought for the interim titles and when they fought to unify it.  Interim titles should be silver or be different and be known as interim titles.  not world champion titles.

my suggestion is if the champ misses one event, you have a #1 contenders bout as  main event.  if the champ cant make the second one it then becomes an interim title.  this is the lesser of the 3 evils and the division keeps moving forward no matter what.

In extreme cases if the champ is out like 2 years then you can convert the interim title into the actual title.

12/19/12 10:06 AM
MMALOGIC

^ they will because they would make more money.  think of all the fixed costs... yes in some instances some variable costs would go up like payroll but the revenue would also go up in accordance.  when you factor in fixed costs, the net profit increase is significant.

You also have to consider that you only have 14 ppv's a year and a certain number of shows per year... so you have to maximize the revenue and profits for each one otherwise you're leaving money on the table.

12/19/12 7:24 PM
SinCityHustler

MMALOGIC - 

^ for marketing purposes they work.  but I understand why you, clientk9 and sincityhustler dont like them.

the divisions need to keep moving forward so my suggestion is that if a champ misses 2 events you have an interim title. 

the problem with stripping is that you takeaway something from usually a dominant champ and thus the division... people will complain that the new champ didnt beat the old champ...   with an interim title you're only adding to the division.

so there's a problem with every scenario and I believe the interim title presents the least problems.

If you only have #1 contender bouts while the champ is absent then it's hard for the division to keep moving forward as it's always waiting for the champ to return.

If you strip the title then people will complain the new champ didnt beat the old champ so how can the old champ lose his title if he was never beaten.

if you use interim titles you have complaints but it's not as bad... plus it becomes a marketing boost when you have have the unification match.

yes carwin and condit are now known as champs... but it added buys to both the events when they fought for the interim titles and when they fought to unify it.  Interim titles should be silver or be different and be known as interim titles.  not world champion titles.

my suggestion is if the champ misses one event, you have a #1 contenders bout as  main event.  if the champ cant make the second one it then becomes an interim title.  this is the lesser of the 3 evils and the division keeps moving forward no matter what.

In extreme cases if the champ is out like 2 years then you can convert the interim title into the actual title.

Thanks for the explanation and I do see your point.  

As an MMA purist, I hate seeing the world title devalued and make no mistake, it is a problem.  When Fedorblower used to be on these boards going on about the linear championship, he at least had a point about the prestige.  Of course after Werdum took it for Fedor, he never once brought up that topic again.  And when Fedor dropped 3 in a row, he disappeared altogether.  But his message did have merit and it's one that I subconsciously apply to each UFc title.  Who won it from who and how?  How has it been defended?  How was the competition?  This all adds or at least retains prestige for the belt.  You get a belt like Condit's for example and we all know it's a joke.  Then he decides to sit and not defend the belt that's supposed to keep the division moving during GSP's absence and he just sits out too?  Come on.  For that matter don't give the belt out and just sign the fight when GSP recovers . 

I still don't like the idea of imterim titles but i do see why they would be needed under this model.  Perhaps if there was written procedure that goes into effect once the criteria is met, that would be OK but handing out belts just to manufacture drama for the division is BS.  The Interim title while Randy was holding out was legit.  Looks like the one at 135 has merit as well.  Maybe even carwin, we didn't know when Brock would be able to return.  Situations like that I'm fine with.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.