UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighter taps out, convulses, wins, & now gets NC

12/13/12 12:08 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In April of 2008, two amateur fighters made their debut in Chicopee, MA. In a bizarre series of events, Justin Kristie locked up a triangle and David Baxter appeared to tap out, then go unconscious as the round ended. Baxter then convulsed, but came to as Kristie and his team were celebrating. After some discussion between the referee and ringside officials, Baxter was allowed to continue and actually won the fight in the second round by TKO.

The story was covered by Underground News when it happened and the resulting thread received over 30,000 views and video of the fight received over 300,000 views on Youtube when it went viral on several MMA websites.

Most of the discussion centered around the referee's decision to allow the fight to continue, whether or not the fighter fell unconscious before or after the end of the round. Today we learn that the Massachusettes State Athletic Commission has voted to change the decision of the bout to a no-contest.

So UG, what do we think? Is a no-contest the right decision, or should have Justin Kristie been given the win? Watch the video again and decide for yourself.

12/13/12 12:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMAjustice
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't determine if that was a tap or not.
12/13/12 12:12 PM
bknumber1
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NC is better than a loss but he deserves the W IMO. Phone Post
12/13/12 12:17 PM
sunnyKO'd my SN
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This whole Thing is a disgrace. Should've stopped after he went to sleep but I guess a nc makes sense at this point. Phone Post
12/13/12 12:22 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Thank god they at least changed it to a NC.

Was that Ref fired, or the rules worded better to at least avoid this ever happening again?

12/13/12 12:25 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should have been a medical stoppage.  This is one of the rare cases where a reversal is warranted.

As usual, AC is lacking sufficient spine to do what is right and sanction those at fault.  Let's just stick our head in the sand and pretend it never happened.

12/13/12 12:28 PM
ortoPsy

WIN. he didn't have any extra time. he deserves every bit of that win, and the other guy deserved the loss. Phone Post
12/13/12 12:58 PM
Kirik
1752 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

ttt

12/13/12 12:59 PM
le

Agree with NC. Phone Post
12/13/12 1:03 PM
shaqitup
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ortoPsy -  WIN. he didn't have any extra time. he deserves every bit of that win, and the other guy deserved the loss. Phone Post

How did he deserve the loss, he finished the fight.

Imagine how tough it is to go back in there, once you've already won the fight?
12/13/12 1:21 PM
BigfootsChin
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kristie should definitly have got the win, as baxter should have been deemed unfit to continue!! Phone Post
12/13/12 1:23 PM
Stephen Eakin
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They just decided this from 08?

12/13/12 1:23 PM
Dr_Perci

Excuse me? lmao

I am interested to hear the logic behind the decision to let it keep going after going stiff.

I want to hear the rational so that I would have an excuse to give out the peoples elbow.

12/13/12 1:25 PM
TheClips

Edited: 12/13/12 1:28 PM
This happened in 2008?!?

I coulda sworn we were all discussing it like it was something new like last year sometime!

Anybody else feel the same way?

EDIT: I just Googled it and it looks like it happened in April 2012....Holy shit, for a second I thought time was truly flying!
12/13/12 1:29 PM
dta316

That was a Ken Shamrock tap from UFC 1 - LOL
Biggest problem in MMA are the governing athletic commissions and this is a clear example of their incompetence (anytime government is involved you can expect crap like this to happen but unfortunately someone needs to regulate it so I guess it's a necessary evil). Phone Post
12/13/12 2:05 PM
DangadaDangJDJ

Edited: 12/13/12 2:15 PM
This didn't happen in 2008. It happened on April 20th of this year and was uncovered by CagePotato, not the UG, as was mentioned in the original thread. http://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/13176-warrior-nation-xfa-3
http://www.cagepotato.com/insane-fight-of-the-day-fighter-taps-out-passes-out-scores-second-round-tko/
12/13/12 2:23 PM
Enemies

Fight should've been stopped after the first round at the time. But overturning a 4 and a half year old fight is just silly imo.
12/13/12 2:27 PM
greenseed
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DangadaDangJDJ - This didn't happen in 2008. It happened on April 20th of this year and was uncovered by CagePotato, not the UG, as was mentioned in the original thread. http://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/13176-warrior-nation-xfa-3
http://www.cagepotato.com/insane-fight-of-the-day-fighter-taps-out-passes-out-scores-second-round-tko/

lol

12/13/12 2:29 PM
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That wasnt a tap IMO. If it was, it was the hardest tap I've ever seen.

12/13/12 2:29 PM
SwampRocker
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

looked like he was out before the end. and with the convulsing, that should never have continued.
12/13/12 2:44 PM
Rival School

SwampRocker - looked like he was out before the end. and with the convulsing, that should never have continued.
If the ref stops it at the bell and he doesn't hold OT after the bell it's obvious that he was out cold within the round.

How anyone sees that this should t have been a win my triangle is mind bottling Phone Post
12/13/12 2:50 PM
Galanis
819 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/13/12 2:52 PM

I am from Chicopee and it tripped me out a bit to read my small town's name in the first sentence of this story. I was actually at this fight and remember it was one of the weirdest things I'd witnessed. No one knew what happened really. However as others have pointed out, this was this year.

The fight should have been called off after the triangle, IMO. Goes to show you how backwoods some of our MMA events can be around here. You should have seen it pre regulation.

12/13/12 2:52 PM
Thacommish
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ortoPsy -  WIN. he didn't have any extra time. he deserves every bit of that win, and the other guy deserved the loss. Phone Post

He did have extra time btw... go watch how long that round break is...
12/13/12 3:17 PM
SonnendbySilva
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DangadaDangJDJ - This didn't happen in 2008. It happened on April 20th of this year and was uncovered by CagePotato, not the UG, as was mentioned in the original thread. http://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/13176-warrior-nation-xfa-3
The story was covered by underground news. Not uncovered. Like it says in the op. Phone Post
12/13/12 3:29 PM
holly9000
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Triangle causes the fighter to go out before the ref separates them=loss, horn or no horn-that fight was over.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.