UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Battery help...

12/14/12 5:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
El_Varaco
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

backstory:

about a month and a half ago, my car had trouble with its alternator. Voltmeter in the car showed that the voltage went to about 7 or 6, I'd have to shut off all accessories just to get home.

so i had the alternator fixed (rewound) and it was running ok voltmeter had me at 12.7 to about 13 14 depends on how fast I was running at the time. Battery light didn't go off so I guess the alternator's ok.

but now my car won't start. it's like my battery can't hold a charge. it was running fine yesterday, battery light still didn't go off, voltmeter had me again at 12.7 up, and not it just won't start.

now could I have fucked up my battery the first time my alternator broke down? the car was idle because the first mechanic that I brought the car to was a hack and just drained my wallet trying to fix it.

or could it be another thing entirely?
11/29/13 4:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Agent Kruger
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Battery could have deep cycled. It should be fully charged at 12.6 by itself. Have it tested on a Midtronic to ensure proper CCAs, Autozone or somewhere like that should have a version of this device.

If your battery is fine, check the wiring in the charging system....meaning battery, starter, alt.

Check the Mega fuse.

Get a cheap multimeter and test the draw on the battery when you try to start the car. It should drop no lower than 9v. 10 is usually the sweet spot.

Test your starter.

I also advise to change out the alt with a new one or quality refurb.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.