UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Duane Ludwig replacing Master Thong at Alpha Male

12/14/12 10:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
fsshariq
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't see this posted anywhere. Best part of Alpha Male if you ask me. He will be missed.

Duane Ludwig accepts coaching role

Veteran mixed martial artist Duane Ludwig has accepted the position of head coach at Team Alpha Male in Sacramento, Calif., perhaps marking the end of a professional career that started in 2000.

Ludwig, 34, will oversee the camp and create game plans for a stable of fighters that includes Urijah Faber, Joseph Benavidez and Chad Mendes, among others.

"I know too much not to teach," Ludwig told ESPN.com. "I've never just been a dumb fighter. I feel like I have a good head on my shoulders. I've been teaching since I was 19. People have always come to me for advice over the years.

"I've paid attention to how the body works and I'm glad I did that, because now I have this opportunity."

Ludwig will replace Thonglor "Mater Thong" Armatsena, a longtime staple of the Sacramento-based gym.

Follow us on Twitter
Don't miss a moment of the latest MMA coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »

Ludwig (21-14) is on a three-fight losing streak in the UFC. He lost a bout against Che Mills in September, when he tore his left ACL during the first round.

The Denver-based fighter, who is planning a move to Sacramento in January, will undergo knee surgery next week. Ludwig stopped just short of formally announcing his retirement, but said the procedure will keep him sidelined for at least one year.

"I've been fighting the last few years with a roller coaster of emotions," Ludwig said. "If I had the opportunity a couple years ago to step away financially, I probably would have, but I couldn't afford to step away.

"I'll take a year off and see where my heart lies. I've been looking for motivation to push me in the sport, and when you start doing that, it becomes an issue."

Bad luck has played its part in Ludwig's financial hardship, as the fighter admits he's lived paycheck to paycheck throughout his career and even maintained a second job as an electrician "90 percent of my career."

Twice, he was the recipient of the infamous UFC fight night bonus, however each of them occurred before the award consisted of thousands of dollars as it does now.

He was given a $500 bonus for a first-round knockout of Jonathan Goulet in 2006, which the UFC recognizes as the fastest knockout in its history. Following a hard-fought decision win over Genki Sudo in 2003, the promotion gave Ludwig an Xbox.

Years ago, any dreams of winning the UFC title changed to dreams of paying off his mortgage and providing security to his wife and two children. Facing the prospect of a year with no fight checks, the offer from Alpha Male came at a good time.

"For me, there was a lot of pressure," Ludwig said of his recent fights. "You always want to win but waiting for that decision to be read, I would think, 'I need to win this fight, financially.'

"I've never made great money. I always tried to shoot for that bonus to get my life back on track, and it just hasn't happened. I've always done everything I could do, just had a run of bad luck."

Ludwig's overall mark in the UFC rests at 4-5. His career has seen him face some of the biggest names in the sport, including Jens Pulver and BJ Penn.

The official recorded time of his knockout against Goulet is 11 seconds, however the UFC declared in 2011 it had timed the fight at 6.06 seconds, which gave Ludwig the unofficial fastest knockout record.

"I'll take that," Ludwig said. "I think it's a good accomplishment. When I get older, hopefully it's still around or at least in the top five. It will be cool for my kids when they get older."
12/14/12 10:30 AM
Hikikomori
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dillashaw tranes at kings mma. Phone Post
12/14/12 10:33 AM
Chris Power
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad to hear for Ludwig, but what becomes of Master Thong?
12/14/12 10:37 AM
Topsyjt
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I competed international as a senior boxer., I know correct technical beauty when I see it. Not talking about a few MMA lads with "world class" standup. He has superb top class standup skills. Prob best technical standup MMA fighter so far. Phone Post
12/14/12 11:03 AM
CLINT NJHC
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad Ludwig has an opportunity like this, have to wonder how long he'll last though- as I get the feeling his time on the sidelines is going to make him hungry to get back in the cage. Best of luck to him!
12/14/12 11:31 AM
SHOGUN250
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bang is one of the greatest MMA strikers out there and I will always watch him fight. It's a shame his chin/body hasn't held up well over the years.
12/14/12 11:36 AM
stevekt
684 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is Bang going to wear sleeveless shirts and sunglasses now? Phone Post
12/14/12 11:54 AM
fsshariq
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats to Bang on nailing a solid gig but I couldn't find much on Thong. I thought he was a staple of the Alpha Male gym. Loved seeing the guy cageside and cornering his teammates. Phone Post
12/14/12 12:03 PM
UGCTT_zackthewop
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hikikomori - Dillashaw tranes at kings mma. Phone Post
When did he leave? Phone Post
12/14/12 12:04 PM
UGCTT_zackthewop
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dr Schopenhauer - what is the backstory on THong? Why was he forced out?
I'm assuming it had to do with visa issues. I've heard rumors that he was here on an expired visa Phone Post
12/14/12 12:24 PM
stevekt
684 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Their first choice was Ryan Bader but he declined because he didn't want to be called Master Bader. Phone Post
12/14/12 12:35 PM
RickStorm
1882 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

I think this may be a good thing for TAM

12/14/12 12:37 PM
Loadin76
1229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/14/12 12:42 PM
solidsnake
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thong was such a character. I remember his carrying Faber back to his corner one fight after a round.

Congrats to Bang, seems like a hard working good dude.
12/14/12 12:50 PM
Toquinho
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Master Thonh cannot be replaced :( Phone Post
12/14/12 1:02 PM
mmaattorney
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't wait to trane UFC with him!!!!! Bang! Phone Post
12/14/12 1:05 PM
Loser Born Natural
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will miss the hair, but, how can you not love Bang! Colorado will miss him, but this may be a great opportunity.
Good luck Bang! Phone Post
12/14/12 1:24 PM
KZTT_FawkingxD

Chris Power - Glad to hear for Ludwig, but what becomes of Master Thong?
Full time possum huter Phone Post
12/14/12 1:55 PM
Hocky Balboa
9882 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let me bang, Bang. Phone Post
12/14/12 2:06 PM
SouthernFriedJedi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think having a striking coach who competed in high level mma will be better for the alpha male team.

Best of luck Bang!
12/14/12 2:06 PM
SouthernFriedJedi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think having a striking coach who competed in high level mma will be better for the alpha male team.

Best of luck Bang!
12/14/12 2:32 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
1050 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bang Phan

12/14/12 4:47 PM
fsshariq

UGCTT_zackthewop -
Dr Schopenhauer - what is the backstory on THong? Why was he forced out?
I'm assuming it had to do with visa issues. I've heard rumors that he was here on an expired visa Phone Post
Wow its awful if that's the case. We won't be seeing em back anytime soon. Phone Post
12/14/12 5:59 PM
Caleb R
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They will be 1000x better with bang than thong Phone Post
12/14/12 6:18 PM
fsshariq

No doubt. Even tough Thong was highly experienced, none of it was from MMA. Let's see how he helps these guys improve their stand up. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.