UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Judo Olympian: "What is sambo?"

12/14/12 4:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DarthChoke
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was talking to a legit Olympian in judo. I mentioned sambo and they looked at me with a stupid look. They have never heard of it.

Just wondering if that seems strange to anyone. It seems like that would have crossed their door after a life devoted to grappling. After 1 year of run of the mill BJJ I had been exposed to it. If you saw any beginning UFCs, Oleg introduced many to the art.

Just struck me as odd. But who am I to say anything? I have not competed in Olympics. Phone Post
12/14/12 5:14 PM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems very strange, are you sure he wasn't punking you?
12/14/12 5:18 PM
Weinstein
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some judokas pride themselves in being ignorant about everything except judo.
12/14/12 5:37 PM
DarthChoke
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dynamo - Seems very strange, are you sure he wasn't punking you?
No, it was talking about a rolling knee bar. We were watching a match and it appeared the guy was going for a rolling kneebar like one might do in sambo--- or what Oleg did a few times in the UFC.
Kind of a somersault into a kneebar.
Didn't seem to know what I meant about the "rolling kneebar" either.

I don't know. No big deal. Just weird. Phone Post
12/14/12 6:07 PM
Grandmaster Wang
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends on where the Judo guy was from.

Ex-USSR nation Judoka all know of Sambo and maybe have cross trained and competed in it.

I really don't know if any Western nations really know that much of Sambo at all. I can count on one hand the legit Sambo clubs in the UK.

12/21/12 3:56 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i dont know any Olympians, who are male at least, that dont know what Sambo is at least... they might have no idea about the rules or this or that... but they know it is a stepchild to Judo..

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.