UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My first fight (one-punch KO) (vid)

12/25/12 3:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DanteHec
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice! Phone Post
12/25/12 5:06 PM
RacingRacingRacing
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

studiocamp - Great job! Did the hook you landed at the :27 mark show you an opening for the KO? The reason why I ask is because of the extra power you put behind it when you countered.

I can't say it did, to be honest. The fight was largely a haze (first fight nerves!), but I felt that the couple of the body shots I landed sparked him up a bit, so when he upped his aggression I was happy to cover up and move and look for him to over-commit and give me a chance to swing big, which worked out lovely. Between 0.35 and 0.43 he threw something like 15 shots unanswered on me before the knockout punch, but none of them got through. Still can't understand why he switched to southpaw just before the finish. Random.
12/25/12 8:02 PM
diggity
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RacingRacingRacing - Thanks very much, lads. Didn't feel too great about it afterwards, as he's a sound fella, but a fight's a fight, I suppose.
Man, well done. It takes stones to get in there. My first few fights were terrifying but it does wonders for your confidence. I made a deal with my brain to stop sparring but I'm so glad I did it. Congrats dude! Phone Post
12/25/12 9:26 PM
Neil Funk

You knocked this dude out of his shoes? What the fuck?

voted up, and congrats on a hell of a highlight KO bro.
12/26/12 6:14 AM
RacingRacingRacing
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

diggity - 
RacingRacingRacing - Thanks very much, lads. Didn't feel too great about it afterwards, as he's a sound fella, but a fight's a fight, I suppose.
Man, well done. It takes stones to get in there. My first few fights were terrifying but it does wonders for your confidence. I made a deal with my brain to stop sparring but I'm so glad I did it. Congrats dude! Phone Post

Thanks very much, I know exactly what you mean. Still pondering whether to get in again or not. Don't think I'll ever beat that fight in terms of a highlight, but I would like to box a full three rounds and see how I do under real pressure, find out a bit about myself.
12/26/12 9:20 AM
Truemanc3
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very good performance... grazing shots, good head movement looking for openings... switched from head to body well... and a nice finish..
Got some good power on those shots too.

Well done.
2/22/13 8:37 AM
RacingRacingRacing

Hello again UG,

Thanks in part to the encouragement I got on here, I decided to keep going at the boxing. I agreed to a four-man one-night tournament between me and the other three best guys from the white collar show I last fought on and that will happen on March 30th.

I started training again about two weeks ago for it, but last Saturday morning, a friend that was organising a big white collar show that was to take place later that day rang me and said they had a late withdrawal and wanted to know if I’d step in. It was a big show, something like 1200 people there and while the guy they wanted me to fight was slightly smaller than me, they felt he was one of their best guys, so I thought why not, all experience is good experience.

This is the link to the fight video, help from a blue namer would be much appreciated. Any feedback/tips would be gladly received, as most of you guys have much more experience than me and I want to get better. I’m kicking myself for being overly reliant on my right hook and not jabbing/1-2ing nearly enough, but I was happy enough with the third round and my conditioning, despite the relative lack of preparation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G21m4vxOz94
2/22/13 8:52 AM
Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Thanks for bumping this man, I was looking for this thread to show my friends but I couldn't find it, lol. Phone Post
2/22/13 9:11 AM
justinthevikingwren
1029 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Technically that's a lot more than one punch????

Just messing with you. Surprised you haven't heard something stupid yet from putting on a great performance.

Congrats! Blessings to you and your aspirations! Phone Post
2/22/13 9:21 AM
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ sloppy technique OP - Havent been to America lately, have you? I was expecting a bar brawling toughman competition... You looked slick out there. Nice job.

Remind me never to get in a fight with an Irishman, lol.

2/22/13 9:26 AM
hmeboy
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/22/13 9:51 AM
hmeboy
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/22/13 9:52 AM
Well done on the second fight also. Were those 1 minute rounds?

Anyways, since you asked: You started flailing a bit looking for that knockout, you'll have more success if you stay tight and patient. Also, you've got a good jab, you were snapping his head back every time, I'd like to see you use it more to get inside and set up your power.

Nice body work, and good power, just don't forget you also have a left hand ;-)
2/22/13 10:29 AM
RacingRacingRacing

hmeboy - Well done on the second fight also. Were those 1 minute rounds?

Anyways, since you asked: You started flailing a bit looking for that knockout, you'll have more success if you stay tight and patient. Also, you've got a good jab, you were snapping his head back every time, I'd like to see you use it more to get inside and set up your power.

Thanks, hmeboy.

The were supposed to be 90 second rounds, but they stopped the first two a little bit early and the last was less than a minute.

It's hilarious, the saying goes "everyone has a plan until they get hit", and I'd like to think I'm a calculated sparrer that can react and counter, but in my two fights so far, I've barely remembered what happened afterwards. It goes to show, to me at least, that repetitive drilling is the only way to go, as in fights it seems to come down to instinct. I presume as you gain in experience, it becomes easier to relax and fight like you do in sparring?
2/22/13 12:47 PM
RacingRacingRacing

ttt
2/22/13 12:51 PM
subwrassler
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good defense too!

unlike your opponent
2/22/13 2:45 PM
MCchoke

i never want to get hit like that.

fighters are fucking insane!
2/22/13 4:16 PM
hmeboy

RacingRacingRacing - 

Thanks, hmeboy.

The were supposed to be 90 second rounds, but they stopped the first two a little bit early and the last was less than a minute.

It's hilarious, the saying goes "everyone has a plan until they get hit", and I'd like to think I'm a calculated sparrer that can react and counter, but in my two fights so far, I've barely remembered what happened afterwards. It goes to show, to me at least, that repetitive drilling is the only way to go, as in fights it seems to come down to instinct. I presume as you gain in experience, it becomes easier to relax and fight like you do in sparring?

You summed it up pretty good. I have always found that I was most nervous in the days leading up to the fight, but once i was in the ring, and the first punch landed, the anxiety all disappeared and I was at home.

I am not sure if it becomes easier to relax, or if you find ways to control the anxiety/adrenaline.

You've got a good attitude, and experience, it seems, beyond your years. You look incredibly composed for a guy with only two fights, no adrenaline dumps, you look like one of our open class fighters.I would suggest try not to put your arms above your head when there's a break in action - it makes you look tired to the judges, and it deprives your arms of oxygen and blood. I am sure you didn't even realize you were doing it.

You have good skills, good composure, good power and a killer instinct. With your attitude, the only road is up, brother, best of luck in all you do!
2/22/13 4:17 PM
hmeboy

P.S. you had him hurt bad in the first round, I am not sure if you realized how badly he was hurt. I would have lost my voice if I was your coach lol After he tasted your power, he wanted nothing to do with you after that, that's why he kept turning away - instinct. Cheers
2/22/13 4:38 PM
RacingRacingRacing

hmeboy - 
RacingRacingRacing - 

Thanks, hmeboy.

You summed it up pretty good. I have always found that I was most nervous in the days leading up to the fight, but once i was in the ring, and the first punch landed, the anxiety all disappeared and I was at home.

I am not sure if it becomes easier to relax, or if you find ways to control the anxiety/adrenaline.

You've got a good attitude, and experience, it seems, beyond your years. You look incredibly composed for a guy with only two fights, no adrenaline dumps, you look like one of our open class fighters.I would suggest try not to put your arms above your head when there's a break in action - it makes you look tired to the judges, and it deprives your arms of oxygen and blood. I am sure you didn't even realize you were doing it.

You have good skills, good composure, good power and a killer instinct. With your attitude, the only road is up, brother, best of luck in all you do!

Thanks for the advice, hmeboy.

Not trying to sound like the big man, but I haven't had a problem with pre-fight nerves. It is more so a lack of composure presumably due to excitement/adrenaline once the fight starts that seems to stop me thinking clearly. Hopefully more experience will cure that.

Regarding the arms over the head thing, it's interesting you mention that, as I thought I was doing the right thing! No one ever told me it was or it wasn't, but I always presumed it would help the arms recover and give the chest more room to open for deep breaths. Probably complete rubbish! I wasn't really out of breath at any stage, but you make a fair point that it probably looked as though I was with my hands up like that.

I knew I had him badly hurt alright. You can't see it in the video, but his eyes went round like a slot machine. What happened after that was that as he was taking his standing count, two of the event organisers jumped up on the apron and started roaring at me not to knock him out, which was a bit out of order I thought, but it was a white collar I suppose, so I didn't go after him like I might have otherwise. I was glad to fight the three rounds anyway, for all that a second knockout in a row would have been sweet too. :-)

Thanks again.
2/22/13 5:02 PM
hmeboy

I learned boxing from my coach 20 years ago, and HE was old school, so you're really getting *his* advice lol We came in a from a bumblefuck small town, but he produced some provincial and national champs, so he must have been doing something right. He would *never* let us rest our arms on the ropes in between rounds, if you think about it, it does make a bit of sense, higher points get less blood than lower points. Have you ever fallen asleep with your arms above your head? They go numb and you wake up all tingly.

I knew you weren't tired, not in the least, but remember that some judges have never fought or coached and appearances are everything. That's true all the way up to the professional level.

I couldn't see his eyes, but I sure could see his legs, he looked like he stepped on a fresh patch of ice lol Anyways, you also had a knockdown in the second round which the ref didn't count for some reason.

I am happy to hear that you already have your nerves in check, i cannot count how many times i have seen a guy be a superstar in the gym and then lose because of his nerves. If you can keep that composure when the pressure starts to rise, you'll do well.

cheers and thanks for listening, I tend to ramble, ask my students lol
2/22/13 5:45 PM
RacingRacingRacing

hmeboy - I learned boxing from my coach 20 years ago, and HE was old school, so you're really getting *his* advice lol We came in a from a bumblefuck small town, but he produced some provincial and national champs, so he must have been doing something right. He would *never* let us rest our arms on the ropes in between rounds, if you think about it, it does make a bit of sense, higher points get less blood than lower points. Have you ever fallen asleep with your arms above your head? They go numb and you wake up all tingly.

I knew you weren't tired, not in the least, but remember that some judges have never fought or coached and appearances are everything. That's true all the way up to the professional level.

I couldn't see his eyes, but I sure could see his legs, he looked like he stepped on a fresh patch of ice lol Anyways, you also had a knockdown in the second round which the ref didn't count for some reason.

I am happy to hear that you already have your nerves in check, i cannot count how many times i have seen a guy be a superstar in the gym and then lose because of his nerves. If you can keep that composure when the pressure starts to rise, you'll do well.

cheers and thanks for listening, I tend to ramble, ask my students lol

That makes sense regarding the arms. Will adjust accordingly.

Yeah, he was very wobbled alright. Fair play to him for keeping coming forward, tough chap. He touched down in the second alright, but I think the ref didn't want to make too much of a show of it.

Thanks again for the advice. Lots of hard work ahead for the next five weeks, as this four-man tournament I'm in is of a much higher class than the guys I've fought so far, so will need to improve a lot. Think I might tie my right hand behind my back in sparring to get my jab working as much as it should! :-)
2/22/13 5:50 PM
Arachnoid

Damn, with what look like 16's AND headgear too!
2/24/13 5:21 PM
hmeboy

Good luck and train hard, you got this!
3/31/13 9:19 AM
RacingRacingRacing

Hi again guys,

I fought in the four-man tournament last night. Making weight (72kg) was a bit tricky, but got there in the end. As mentioned, this was a big step up in class against guys with much more experience than me, but it went well. Here is the video of my semi-final (if someone could embed it, that would be much appreciated), a real war! I had a two-hour wait until the final, which was a bit of a nightmare to manage. The video of the final isn't up yet, but I'll post the link when I get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9eLIlkzR5k
3/31/13 9:35 AM
RacingRacingRacing

I'm in red, by the way.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.