UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Deadlifts: do they hit rear delts and lats?

12/17/12 3:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SesameTako
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've read in the past that Deadlifts hit the entire posterior chain, however, a few boards than I frequent state that it does nothing for the rear delts or lats. Is this the case? It sure seems like they do from my DOMS the next day. Thoughts? Phone Post
12/17/12 8:01 AM
banco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

According to these emg readings a 405 pound rack pull hits the lats slightly harder than a bodweight chinup.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/inside_the_muscles_best_back_and_biceps_exercises

Obviously you can do a lot more chinups than you can heavy deadlifts so you'd probably progress faster as far as getting a wide back goes with chinups.
12/17/12 11:33 AM
LordSeano
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SesameTako - I've read in the past that Deadlifts hit the entire posterior chain, however, a few boards than I frequent state that it does nothing for the rear delts or lats. Is this the case? It sure seems like they do from my DOMS the next day. Thoughts? Phone Post
Surely you answered your own question?

After you do dead lifts, they ache. Phone Post
12/17/12 11:39 AM
SesameTako
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, but I also get sore if I stretch a muscle or pull it. R Phone Post
12/17/12 11:43 AM
SesameTako

Sorry, I didn't finish my thought there... My concern was that my DOMS is more a result of an isometric strength and has no bearing on strength improvement. In my case, kb swings and Deadlifts seem to work my upper back a lot more than rows or pull-ups.

Thank you Branco, your link is interesting. Phone Post
12/17/12 11:44 PM
Keep if professional
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

banco - According to these emg readings a 405 pound rack pull hits the lats slightly harder than a bodweight chinup.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/inside_the_muscles_best_back_and_biceps_exercises

Obviously you can do a lot more chinups than you can heavy deadlifts so you'd probably progress faster as far as getting a wide back goes with chinups.

I think I can do more 405 lbs rack pulls than I can do pull ups.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.