UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Critique my diet

12/17/12 1:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
disbeliever
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

6'1" 205lbs 18% bf

Same diet 7 days a week, with 1 cheat meal Sunday evening.

I do I.F. so my first meal is 12:00pm and last meal is 8:00pm, with a meal every 2 hours.

10:00am - 11:45am gym on fasted stomach
12:00pm 2 scoop whey protein shake, non fat greek yogurt
2:00pm - mixed salad with 3oz lean turkey breast. No dressing, bread. Just greens and meat, and a banana
4:00pm - non fat greek yogurt, handful of almonds, and 5 strawberries
6:00pm - 3 strips of lean chicken breast with steamed veggies.
8:00pm - 2 scoop whey protein shake

On average I take in 1700-1900 calories daily by my estimate and counting.

My gym routine consists daily of:

10 minute jog as warm up @ 8mph
35 minutes of weights (whatever body part is on that day)
60 minutes of eliptical @ 140bpm

Goal is fat loss, and getting that bf under 10% again. Had neck surgery in 2005, and haven't been under 10% since then.
12/17/12 2:45 PM
Badmonkey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would go full fat greek yogurt, olive oil based dressing for salads, fattier pieces of meat(dark meat chicken or some beef/salmon... etc.), and lose the banana. Basically replace the sugar with fat and eat at least 10 times your bodyweight in calories if you're working out daily like that = around 2100.. which you're already pretty close to.

12/17/12 4:51 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/17/12 4:52 PM

caloric intake is fine.

go full fat yogurt. your low fat nonsense is filled with sugar/sweeteners. The meat you are consuming is also fine. Mix it up with eggs, fish, beans whatever. Definitely do lose the banana. It's fine with your 4 pm meal but pointless after the fiber and protein, also supposedly ferments in your stomach.

What time do you wake up? Lean Gains, which seems to be the IF protocol you're on, is not so much about the window but the distance of first meal oppoed to your awakeness time (Cortisol reduction).

Get rid of steady state elipitical and replace with intervals that make your dick grow, as Joe Rogan would say...ONIT.COM

12/17/12 7:56 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Badmonkey - I would go full fat greek yogurt, olive oil based dressing for salads, fattier pieces of meat(dark meat chicken or some beef/salmon... etc.), and lose the banana. Basically replace the sugar with fat and eat at least 10 times your bodyweight in calories if you're working out daily like that = around 2100.. which you're already pretty close to.

Agree on the fat and sugar.
12/18/12 12:32 AM
turducken

jesus. since when is low fat/nonfat yogurt necessarily full of sugar/sweeteners? not everyone buys fucking bullshit danon yogurt. and i will go against the paleo preachers and state my opinion that dairy fat is NOT healthy. based on personal experience, dairy should be avoided in general, but if you are going to eat it, low fat or nonfat is the right choice. for people who dont understand how low fat yogurt is created: the fat is skimmed off and the reduced fat milk that is left is cultured to form, surprise, low fat yogurt. its not some science experiment gone wrong and its not necessarily full of sugar and other shit. just go look at the label of oikos organic greek yogurt...there is nothing bad about it.

with that said, fat should be consumed in adequate levels, but it should come from healthy sources: extra virgin olive oil, almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, wild caught fish, etc. with lesser amounts coming from grass-fed meat and dairy if you have to have it. this is of course only if you are interested in following the rational majority of scientific, medical and historical evidence rather than some internet blog written by a paleo-nobody who can haphazardly cite the same few studies over and over again while urging you to believe that bacon wrapped steak fried in coconut oil is some kind of health food.

*end rant*

here's what i ate today so you can compare:

breakfast: smoothie: 1 scoop vega (vegan protein powder), 3 tbsp chia seeds, 20 almonds, 2 tbsp raw cacao nibs, 1/2tsp msm, 1 cup frozen wild blueberries, 1 bar frozen unsweetened acai, 1 carrot, 2 cups raw purple cabbage, water as needed

lunch: 4oz wild caught salmon, large plate of steamed kale, 1/2 cup white beans, small baked sweet potato

post workout: 1 scoop unflavored whey isolate mixed in water, 1 cup fresh pineapple

dinner: baked chicken breast with cayenne pepper, bowl of tomato soup with collard greens(pour plain strained tomatoes from a jar into a pot, add crushed red pepper and 2 chopped garlic cloves, heat...then when its hot add 4 large chopped collard leaves and stir just until they wilt, then remove from heat, add 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, and eat.)

all of the above is organic with the exception of the whey isolate and vega protein powders. your diet is not bad, and certainly a hell of a lot better than what most people eat, but i would try to eat more more vegetables, less dairy.

but if you really just want to get ripped and dont care about being bored, just eat greens, lean meat and olive oil for every meal...

breakfast: large plate of steamed greens, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 serving lean meat(chicken, fish, egg whites, etc.)

lunch: large plate of steamed greens, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 serving lean meat(chicken, fish, egg whites, etc.)

post workout: 1 scoop whey, fresh berries

dinner: large plate of steamed greens, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 serving lean meat(chicken, fish, egg whites, etc.)

you can add a smaller baked sweet potato occasionally if you feel like you need it. that's what i eat for 6-8 weeks prior to any beach related vacation...absolutely horrible to maintain(who the fuck wants to eat greens and chicken for breakfast?), but it gets me shredded.
12/18/12 7:41 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You wont reach under 10% with that alone. You can run it for now until you stop losing fat, then you need to add in some carb days

Protein intake needs to be pretty high during a deficit. You have a lean mass of roughly 170 pounds so you need like 230 grams of protein per day (3 x 77 KG)

And doing intervals on a calorie deficit is retarded.

12/18/12 9:39 AM
disbeliever
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just checked the greek yogurt I eat. 18g of sugers
12/18/12 9:40 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/18/12 9:47 AM

BAM turducken!  (why do you always post stupid shit before posting really good stuff, dude?) :) 

he's not running a real caloric deficit...so much for "retarded".

You do need carbohydrates (not even really for fuel) as much as to stimulate you hGH (growth hormone, required for muscle synthesis to put it simply.) If that was true then the CrossFit/Paleo community would not be able to work out...AT ALL...Not that I am a big proponent of either but the fact that they get to bang out compounds lifts and MetCons (intervals essentially) is a telling sign. Listen to guys like the Faction CF podcast, ACTUALLY SMART DUDES at www.FitR.tv or not. Which brings me into my next point...

However, if you maintained most of your muscle gains from prior to putting on body fat then do not worry about that as much. Also, you do not need 230 grams of protein (which is calculated from your lean body mass not your fat). That would mean that you are consuming HALF your calories in protein doing 20-30 minutes of weight training. Which I gathered you do as a isolated and not compound work outs. You wouldn't need that much even if you were a oly-lifting 5 times a week...do not Oly lift 5 times a week.

12/18/12 10:34 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"he's not running a real caloric deficit...so much for "retarded"."

Given the fact that you look like a 130 pound femboi im not surprised you think 1700 calories is not a deficit for a 200 pound male.

"You do need carbohydrates (not even really for fuel) as much as to stimulate you hGH"

No you need it because of the leptin issue that will eventually happen with low carb diets. Not for your pseudo holistic bullshit reasons

"Also, you do not need 230 grams of protein (which is calculated from your lean body mass not your fat)"

LOL its amazing how stupid you are. Going by your own wisdom, he does need 230 grams of protein since i did base it on his lean body mass and not his total body weight dummy

12/18/12 10:48 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

Edited: 12/18/12 11:07 AM

aww, you mad, bro? I forget how butthurt you get..I am 160, squat double my BW. Oh and I was 250 pounds just a few years ago, let's hear your "success story" Mr. armchair MMA fan. ouch...

1700? or 1900? I like how you pick and choose stuff just to prove some sort of "point about how you are always right" . that's cute. 1900 is his guess. If you knew what you are actually talking about then you would know that he's probably underestimating calories as virtually all "dieters" do. But you may be right since he's probably a construction worker or someone who is physically active all day that requires all that carbohydrates. You clearly are in a better place to help, knowing the OP so intimately.

I have a bachelors in biology and in my last semester of masters in nutrition, so don't give me random shit about "leptin" LMAO...

did I say he should be on a low carb diet? cute..oh probably in that thread where you think that eating fish and turkey is "vegan". Was that also the same thread where I said he should be eating 3 times his LBM in kilograms of protein 0_o

let's see so he's 77 grams of Lean body mass (supposedly) so if he eats 30% protein diet of total calories, that would be about 600-700 grams, so that's...wait, could you possibly be wrong....wait, I need a calculator to carry the 1...150-170 grams of protein?

I'm using 30% since you're worried about leptin btw...you know, science?

Watch that video and learn something, they'll rip you a new asshole with the carbs AND proteins... 

disclaimer: DO NOT GET TOO BUTTHURT AS USUAL. You may learn something for once.

EDIT: I should probably connect the dots for you here. The video is in the response about "intervals in a fasted state" or whatever the hell you called it. Also, since Paleo is fundamentally (not totally) low-carbohydrate, it applies to your silly claims of problems associate with low-carb diets. Which also didn't take into the account, fat/protein sources, nutrient timing/combining etc. You know that fat is hormonally nuetral unless taken with carbohydrates of course, for example. 

12/18/12 12:41 PM
Leigh
618 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub for interest. Steady state will burn far more calories than intervals Phone Post
12/18/12 1:03 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

it's a debatable topic, of late because of the EPOC and hormonal changes. But in a strict sense, Leigh, you're absolutely right.

12/18/12 1:26 PM
LiftStrong
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My god some of you like to argue about obscure shit!

Disbeliever - That diet plan looks pretty healthy and realistic to me. I am not a fan of dairy products, so I would cut out the greek yogurt. You could replace the greek yogurt with a couple whole eggs, that would get some more healthy fats into your diet.

If I was nitpicking I would suggest you have a serving of fruit (your banana for instance) directly after your workout rather than later in the day. But like I said, you will be in good shape with that diet. Good luck!
12/18/12 1:40 PM
disbeliever

Thanks all.

I forgot to add I have hypothyroidism apparently. My T4 and TSH is all normal now due to meds, but it should be factored in I think. I am having my free T3 tested as we speak to make sure my metabolism is working properly.

It seems the majority of people are against dairy. I have had about half of the nutritionists I speak to say the same thing. They say a large portion of humans are actually slightly allergic to it, and that we are the only species that drinks milk from another animal. The other half I speak to says its good for you. I guess you can never win.

I might try cutting out the dairy, but I love me some big glass of cold milk!
12/18/12 7:58 PM
turducken

when it comes to dairy, i dont buy into the stupid arguments like "no other animal drinks the milk from another species"...fucking dumb. there are plenty of things that humans do that other species do not, and that doesnt make them bad.

i suggest that you try giving up dairy and see if you notice a difference. cutting out dairy is the ONLY dietary change i have ever made(and i have tried a LOT of things) that has ever lead to a distinctly noticeable effect. dairy never made me sick, it never gave me digestive issues, it never made me feel tired or any of the other crap that some people complain about, but when i stopped eating it, my skin cleared up and practically all of my nasal congestion went away. its like a light switch...i can drink milk for a few days and ill get a zit. stop and my skin is 100% clear...same with mucus. every so often i get a craving for milk and buy a few gallons, but its not worth it for me to drink it regularly. id rather have baby smooth skin
12/19/12 3:20 AM
Leigh
618 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ArthurKnoqOut -

it's a debatable topic, of late because of the EPOC and hormonal changes. But in a strict sense, Leigh, you're absolutely right.

Yes I get that but I don't think the difference in EPOC from intervals and from distance work makes up the deficit Phone Post
12/19/12 6:07 AM
Gokudamus stole my name

"aww, you mad, bro? I forget how butthurt you get..I am 160, squat double my BW. Oh and I was 250 pounds just a few years ago, let's hear your "success story" Mr. armchair MMA fan. ouch..."

dummy, i dont live vicariously through the internet like you do. I dont need to post my stories in a weak attempt to look like an authority on a subject. But dont mind me, please continue posting about your degrees and the thousands of olympic athletes and world champions you train. Im surprised you have the time to post here given your world class S&C trainer status. But you can look at my profile and see that im much bigger than you, much stronger than you and have less bodyfat than you. But congrats on being a former fatboy and turning into a ladyboy

And lol @ that video. You are a caricature of the Crossfit/Paleo dorks in the world brah.

disbeliver pm me if you need help. Your diet looks fine for now but you will need to do some carb cycling later if you really want to go under 10% without looking like a femboi
12/19/12 9:49 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

Edited: 12/19/12 10:29 AM
Leigh - 
ArthurKnoqOut -

Yes I get that but I don't think the difference in EPOC from intervals and from distance work makes up the deficit Phone Post

I actually happen to agree with you. I think it depends on a. time restraints (the obvious one), weather conditions (althought I think you're the sort of "bloke" to run outside in hail) and the results you're getting from it. I never ran more than a total of 2 miles worth of sprints/intervals when I lost large amounts of body fat. Same time, I've worked with people who did intervals until they've puked to no avail. As Elliott Hulse says "everything works until it doesn't".

gokie, you're a fat, weak bitch, get over it. I'm stronger, handsome-r and more successful than you. I post once or twice every few days and I do so because guys like Leigh, Taku and vermonter post here as well. You do NOT have lower BFP than I, you look fat and your abs look like you do crunches, disgusting. I'm not Paleo or CrossFit, eww. Nice move, retard. Just like the other thread where you got destroyed...in fact...thank goodness for the IGNORE button. I need my neurons nice andcrisp and firing for my D1 athletes :) 

Here's what real lean, no NO or Jack 3D, MAN looks like.

the red is for you. 

I'm going to forward your statement to "internet nerds" like Yuri Elkaim, Sean Croxton, Elliott Hulse, and guys below who make internet their home for consulting and work...you're a G, son.

you'd call Louis and Steve skinny and they'd both stronger and mess you up.

as would guys like Anthony DiLuglio or Pavel Tsatsouline

or Steve Cotter..

that's some fapping material for ya, dork.

12/19/12 10:08 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

disbeliever - Thanks all.

I forgot to add I have hypothyroidism apparently. My T4 and TSH is all normal now due to meds, but it should be factored in I think. I am having my free T3 tested as we speak to make sure my metabolism is working properly.

It seems the majority of people are against dairy. I have had about half of the nutritionists I speak to say the same thing. They say a large portion of humans are actually slightly allergic to it, and that we are the only species that drinks milk from another animal. The other half I speak to says its good for you. I guess you can never win.

I might try cutting out the dairy, but I love me some big glass of cold milk!

see, this is one of things that I agree with Turducken on when he's not trying to troll or take something personal. The problem here is that when you say "milk" it's a very macro take on it. If you ask someone who stylizes themselves as a nutritionist then they most often than not look at the quality of food whilst RD (through school conditioning) look at the macro-nutrients and look at how much of fat/protein/carbs is it in that food (and to a lesser degree vitamins/nutrients). So the point is that milk to an one person is simply milk, to another milk is either, organic, grass fed, raw, etc...get the gist?

Same with wheat. Maybe before massive cross-hybridization when the carbon pairs in wheat went from 12 to over 100 in modern dwarf wheat, it was fine for everyone but now there's a large amount of people with Celiac disease and many more wheat-sensative who don't even know it. Before I cut down wheat and gluten in general, I sure as hell didn't. I like to experiment and heard a lot about this stuff from the Paleo community and decided to give it a try. (I'm not close minded like some others here who want you to PM them for fat loss advice with fad carb cycling, which was also addressed in a thread he ran away from...very sustainable btw lol).

point is that you gotta mess around and find what works. Maybe whey and milk is making you "big and strong", or maybe it's turning you into a strong version of Jim Wendler. Leigh posted a thread where he ate like 2 pounds of Chinese food in bed before passing out and he's fine and getting up there in age, no offense lol).

Also, with thyroxine and T3 levels out of whack this changes the game COMPLETELY. Definitely include some fish sources or at least some dulse flakes or nori (large amounts of iodine for thyroid hormones).  

all the best! 

12/19/12 12:18 PM
disbeliever

I decided to replace 1 of my non fat greek yogurt meals with hard boiled eggs. 2 egg whites and 1 whole one.
12/19/12 1:02 PM
vermonter
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/19/12 1:04 PM
ArthurKnoqOut - 

It's not debatable. The only sense that's worth discussion is the "strict" or "true" sense.

Feel free to go to breaking muscle and read my recent article looking at a study about EPOC. The EPOC for interval training over 48 hours was only slightly higher than for steady state, and when adding both the caloric burn and EPOC together the steady state crushed the interval training, and can be done more often without over training.

Ergo, there is no comparison or debate. LSD is unequivocally superior for weight loss than interval training.

Also, Disbeliever was doing intervals, and he changed to what you see here based on my advice. If you still think he should change to intervals, then you ought to debate it with me as it was my recommendation. I'm happy to rehash what we've done on here 10 times before, but steady state is the king.
12/19/12 1:08 PM
vermonter
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PS.

three things:

1. Thanks for the shout out. :)

2. I see your follow up, and where you say you agree, but your original post didn't indicate a time frame. For Disbeliever, who was spending nearly as much time working on intervals, the steady state is better. He has the time to put in the effort, and based on that I recommended LSD.

3. Stop gaying up this thread with topless dudes.
12/19/12 1:09 PM
disbeliever

I work a crazy schedule, and get under 6 hours of sleep a night most nights. Doing intervals was making me so fatigued days after. I am liking the steady state stuff much better for my life
12/19/12 1:14 PM
disbeliever

Wednesdays are the worst. I do my warm up, and did my leg workout today. Then did 60 minutes @ 145bpm

Legs are numb :)
12/19/12 1:19 PM
vermonter

Also, this retarded dick measuring is stupid. What does either of you hope to accomplish other than annoying the rest of us and sounding like whiny bitches on a gay forum posting "A/S/L"

Take your shit elsewhere.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.