UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Critique my diet

12/19/12 1:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vermonter
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - Wednesdays are the worst. I do my warm up, and did my leg workout today. Then did 60 minutes @ 145bpm

Legs are numb :)

Glad its helping.

Also, you should try to sleep more. Sleep means weight loss, energy, muscle and all sorts of things that will assist you in weight loss, hypothyroidism and more.
12/19/12 6:26 PM
Leigh
903 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like both Arthur and Goku. Both offer good consistently good info. But I had to point out steady work is better for fat loss. I do think intervals in a fasted state might offer superior hormonal influence for fat loss Phone Post
12/20/12 1:28 PM
vermonter
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/20/12 1:42 PM
Leigh - 

I like both Arthur and Goku. Both offer good consistently good info. But I had to point out steady work is better for fat loss. I do think intervals in a fasted state might offer superior hormonal influence for fat loss Phone Post

Agreed, quality posters that just happen to have their cycles synced up. All I meant was "cut the shit." Better for their blood pressure.

I have no problem with intervals in a fasted state, but regardless, there will be a preference for non-fat fuels and there will be a smaller caloric cost. The former could increase appetite for high calorie foods, and the second just plain ain't as good.

Not a critique of your post, mostly just agreeing I think. In what way do you think intervals would be hormonally superior?
12/20/12 1:54 PM
Leigh
903 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not really sure, I haven't ever given fat loss that much study. I just seem to remember Lyle McDonald's SFP recommending it and he knows his stuff. I'll read up and let you know what I find

Agree that hammering blood sugar is not a good idea Phone Post
12/20/12 2:37 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its not about wich is superior in terms of fatloss. Its about adherence to the program and recovery. For the average person going on a diet adds a lot of stress in their lives, why add even more stress by doing intervals and potentially hurt recovery wich could ultimately lead to quitting the diet. John Doe doesnt have the cardiovascular fitness to burn a noticeable amount of calories through intervals/LSD regardless, if he did, he wouldnt be dieting in the first place.

So wich is better, do 3 grueling intervals per week when you are already miserable and your hormones are low or take the dog for a 60 min brisk walk 5 times per week and burn the same/more with little effect on your recovery?

12/20/12 2:52 PM
vermonter

Gokudamus stole my name - Its not about wich is superior in terms of fatloss. Its about adherence to the program and recovery. For the average person going on a diet adds a lot of stress in their lives, why add even more stress by doing intervals and potentially hurt recovery wich could ultimately lead to quitting the diet. John Doe doesnt have the cardiovascular fitness to burn a noticeable amount of calories through intervals/LSD regardless, if he did, he wouldnt be dieting in the first place.

So wich is better, do 3 grueling intervals per week when you are already miserable and your hormones are low or take the dog for a 60 min brisk walk 5 times per week and burn the same/more with little effect on your recovery?

Well it was about that because they were discussing the calories burned through EPOC making intervals have a higher caloric cost, which is incorrect.

However, there is more to consider as you pointed out. Like I mentioned in a previous post, not only does LSD burn more calories per workout, but you can also do it more often. It works well for fighters that need to lose weight and who are often pushing into overtraining as it is.

So yup. Agreed!
12/20/12 2:54 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I do think intervals in a fasted state might offer superior hormonal influence for fat loss"

IIRC there was an italian study that showed fed cardio lead to more fat loss than fasted because performance was enhanced wich lead to a greater calorie expanditure.

Fasted state cardio becomes more important for some fairly lean individuals who have problems with fat mobilizatio. Basically dudes who are jacked but still have stubborn fat around the waist could benefit from fasted cardio (intervals or LSD isnt really that important)

12/20/12 3:13 PM
Gokudamus stole my name

"Well it was about that because they were discussing the calories burned through EPOC making intervals have a higher caloric cost, which is incorrect."

My bad i should have phrased that better. I was mostly following up on my own post about why i think LSD is superior since it lead to further discussion. I do agree with you though and i have actually calculated it here in prior debates (EPOC included) and LSD burns more assuming you have the time. EPOC afterburn for HIIT is actually not that impressive once you see the actual numbers
12/20/12 3:39 PM
vermonter

Edited: 12/20/12 3:40 PM
Gokudamus stole my name - "Well it was about that because they were discussing the calories burned through EPOC making intervals have a higher caloric cost, which is incorrect."

My bad i should have phrased that better. I was mostly following up on my own post about why i think LSD is superior since it lead to further discussion. I do agree with you though and i have actually calculated it here in prior debates (EPOC included) and LSD burns more assuming you have the time. EPOC afterburn for HIIT is actually not that impressive once you see the actual numbers

Yeah, we completely agree.

I did a couple articles in BM about this. One you might be interested in was about how EPOC reduces for intervals as you get in better shape, but doesn't reduce for LSD. As I wrote in the article, this is the "nail in the coffin" for intervals over LSD.

Take a look.
12/20/12 3:51 PM
Leigh

Gokudamus stole my name - "I do think intervals in a fasted state might offer superior hormonal influence for fat loss"

IIRC there was an italian study that showed fed cardio lead to more fat loss than fasted because performance was enhanced wich lead to a greater calorie expanditure.

Fasted state cardio becomes more important for some fairly lean individuals who have problems with fat mobilizatio. Basically dudes who are jacked but still have stubborn fat around the waist could benefit from fasted cardio (intervals or LSD isnt really that important)

A friend of mine who fights pro and is in shape is doing steady cardio fasted to burn stubborn fat and he's got great results Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.