UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Penn undecided on retirement

12/18/12 12:33 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

With only one victory in his past six fights and at the ripe age of 34, Penn's next move is unknown. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White said he would like to see Penn retire, stating the Hawaiian has nothing left to prove after an illustrious career that has spanned 11 years and 22 fights inside the Octagon.

Although White would like to see one of the sport's most recognizable names hang up his gloves, he's leaving the final decision up to the future UFC Hall-of-Famer, who says he has yet to make a decision regarding what's in story for his future as a mixed martial arts (MMA) competitor.

"I am taking some time to figure it out," Penn told AXS TV's "Inside MMA" news program on Monday.

read entire article...

12/18/12 12:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
yellow's Tap In
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hang em up old buddy, one of the greats
12/18/12 12:50 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Time to give it up I'm afraid. Get back into some competitive bjj. Phone Post
12/18/12 12:50 AM
ABE FROMAN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/18/12 12:52 AM
Alistair Overstream
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not a huge fan of BJ at all but after watching him get demoralized by Rory he needs to hang it up if he won't go down to LW

BJ cannot hope to compete with todays WW's who outsize him come fight time...If he wants to fight at LW i'm totally ok with that
12/18/12 12:53 AM
aaronlynton
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think BJ could still win some fights, but Whatever he wants to do. Thank you BJ, You will always be my favorite fighter. Phone Post
12/18/12 1:06 AM
Matt Phillips
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 good run at the 145 title and I'd be happy.

Can you imagine BJ winning the 145 belt? GOAT status imo

12/18/12 1:55 AM
ThuggishRuggishBonez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

155 Phone Post
12/18/12 2:01 AM
DaemonDragon
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He'd be top 5 at LW easily, he should not retire.

If he drops to 155 I see him really changing the ending to his career around. He can alter his legacy. He just has to cut weight to do so.

I still don't understand how he can be so lazy to cut around 13-15 pounds of water when other guys are dropping 25+. LW Penn would still be a force. Rory looked enormous next to him, like man vs. boy.
12/18/12 2:03 AM
Foos
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to see BJ fight again. How about BJ Penn vs Nate Diaz?

Make the fight at 160 so the cut isn't so grueling
12/18/12 2:04 AM
BENDOver and Take it Like a Diaz
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd really like to see him jump into ADCC next year for the heck of it. 

BJ vs. Marcelo opening round!

12/18/12 2:06 AM
Hargreaves

Randy won the belt at 40's

your as old as ya feel

BJ should just go to Tri Star swallow his pride and destroy in a different weight....if he BJ with GSP takedowns and entry to top game how in the world would ya stop his guard passing....BJ can win he just needs the right team
12/18/12 2:10 AM
hellride
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ as a long time fan of yours, please do not return to welterweight.
12/18/12 3:57 AM
UGCTT_mousetrap
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Bj no homo and hate to say it but I think he is done. Phone Post
12/18/12 4:12 AM
absoluteidiot
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ 1 of last 6... Never thought I'd hear that.

I think something was lost when he couldn't beat Frankie. Don't get me wrong Frankie is a great fighter but the real BJ Penn stomps Frankie. Phone Post
12/18/12 4:17 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
absoluteidiot -  BJ 1 of last 6... Never thought I'd hear that.

I think something was lost when he couldn't beat Frankie. Don't get me wrong Frankie is a great fighter but the real BJ Penn stomps Frankie. Phone Post

Real BJ lost twice to Frankie.
12/18/12 4:25 AM
absoluteidiot
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NorthFromHere -

C'mon man that Abu Dhabi card was fishy as... BJ fought so flat in those fights and has ever since. The BJ that fought Sanchez, Sherk, K-Flo etc... He kills Frankie. Phone Post
12/18/12 4:57 AM
Silverball
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

absoluteidiot -
NorthFromHere -

C'mon man that Abu Dhabi card was fishy as... BJ fought so flat in those fights and has ever since. The BJ that fought Sanchez, Sherk, K-Flo etc... He kills Frankie. Phone Post
Frankie is a great fighter, and the BJ that fought him in their first fight was prime BJ still. I thought he (BJ) won that fight, but if it was close it's because Edgar made it close.

If BJ hasn't fallen off to the degree that many here think he has, then I could see him back at 155, but only with Marv Marinovich in charge of his strength and conditioning. No second guessing the only program that actually worked for BJ. Phone Post
12/18/12 5:05 AM
MMALOGIC

bring back marinovich and go back down to 155.

12/18/12 5:07 AM
Bucephalus

Big Penn fan here... but he's getting old... Many of the WW's are too big and many of the LW's are too fast.
12/18/12 5:14 AM
Sakuraba belt
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retiriment from MMA and return to the Gi!

Dont think his reaction speed and timing is there anymore, at least not at the top lvl of todays young athletes.
Already won the belts in the divisions competes in so really mot much left to prove.
12/18/12 7:51 AM
Big Pookie
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe one more fight at 155 and see how it goes, but I feel as though BJ will be at a speed disadvantage there. He looked slow against a huge WW and I'm afraid he might look even slower against LWs.
12/18/12 8:47 AM
temp170618
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel BJ has earned the right to do whatever he wants....win or lose, he has always been one of those fighters that just grabbed peoples interest and made them want to watch him do battle.

However, I would love to see him return to Jiu Jitsu competition....it would make a wonderful end to his career to finish it as it started....on top of the medals podium as Jiu Jitsu World Champion!
12/18/12 8:47 AM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

I love BJ Penn but he needs to do 3 things before id ever be interested in seeing him fight again.

1) drop to 155

2) go to a REAL camp

3) actually train Phone Post
12/18/12 9:33 AM
disbeliever
333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
I think BJ has something to prove to himself at 170, that he can beat bigger men. Why else would he stay there?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.