UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Daniel Inouye has passed on. How do you feel?

12/18/12 11:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Carter
567 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

R u sad? Phone Post
12/18/12 12:46 PM
FCTV808
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you know, it's weird, somehow i get this relief, almost like he was evil. something about him set off my danger alarm.

then i watch the news and see all the people talking about him in such an endearing way and i don't know. but then again, it seems they're only interviewing politicians so i don't trust anything i see.
12/18/12 12:54 PM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

major loss for Hawaii, relative to securing federal dollars for the State.
12/18/12 12:57 PM
Shogun of Harlem
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He was a war hero! MoH Winner!
12/18/12 1:01 PM
FCTV808
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PatrickFreitas - major loss for Hawaii, relative to securing federal dollars for the State.

this is why i'm buying more bullets today. grid should fall soon. i hear the drums from the micro camps beating already.
12/18/12 2:47 PM
Sgt. Slaphead
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PatrickFreitas - major loss for Hawaii, relative to securing federal dollars for the State.

And there's the fucking problem!.....yet most people don't understand why.
12/18/12 2:51 PM
Sgt. Slaphead
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FCTV808 - you know, it's weird, somehow i get this relief, almost like he was evil. something about him set off my danger alarm.

then i watch the news and see all the people talking about him in such an endearing way and i don't know. but then again, it seems they're only interviewing politicians so i don't trust anything i see.

INDEED!

Obviously, he is deserving of respect for his wartime actions, and perhaps his earlier political career was one of service and duty, but as an long entrenched Washington politician, he bears lots of responsibility for the current state of our country.
12/18/12 5:34 PM
FCTV808

sad but true sarge.
12/18/12 9:08 PM
MOB U2
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's not one you can really paint as totally black and white as good or bad. There are legit accusations about him re: pork barrel funds and his statements that he didn't consider "earmarks for corporations inherently bad." No doubt some of the ills that plague Hawaii's political climate stems from a system he is inherently part of, some of which I have always despised about this state.

But he did help to stop the Congressional consideration of canning the Pearl Harbor shipyard facilities a while back, and did mitigate some of the rapid demilitarizing of the US Armed Forces within the country and abroad. And of course he helped with rail funds. He was also adopted as honorary elder of the Navajo nation, honorary high chief (matai) of Samoa, honorary high chief (datu) of the Autonomous region of Muslim Mindanao (b/c I guess he helped to intercede on some peace talks) and honorary citizen of the R.P. - I know this b/c I met him many times and he told me this himself.

Personally, I can't help but like him b/c he's just any old elderly man in person, and he's helped us with community projects that I used to be involved in. Politically, he's done a lot of good and has brought much money to Hawaii, for federal programs, for the military, for rail, and for big business within the State. But yes, there were things I never agreed with him on and wished he had never supported. For myself though, I accept that about any politician. Politicians do politics - it's dirty, and I don't expect any of them to be fully clean and completely side with my point of view and beliefs.

I am sad about his passing. He served alongside my friend's fathers and grandfathers in the 442 and with the 100th Battalion when they were incorporated together. So my friends' fathers/grandfathers sometimes told similar stories, and when I asked him when I visited his office in DC about my friend's grandfathers, he remembered them all and he told me stories about them. That was pretty cool.

On the far other side - I have colleagues who do vehemently hate him though. They consider him THE mafia don of Hawaii, and see absolutely no good in what he has done. Oh well, it is what it is.
12/18/12 9:23 PM
Moke
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pork barrel is bitter-sweet...that's why as a problem it'll never be solved. Everyone knows it's destroying the country, but hey, "Let's get ours! And he's good at getting ours!"

The war hero stuff is hard to get around too. It took me a long time to hate John McCain, because the the INCREDIBLE stuff he did/endured in Vietnam. Yet somehow everything he's done since then in the world of politics is pure bullshit. I have since cut loose all leeway I gave him for his wartime heroics, and now see him as he truly is. A douchebag.
12/19/12 4:08 AM
FCTV808

gambling on his grave ftw?
12/19/12 4:38 AM
MOB U2
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moke - Pork barrel is bitter-sweet...that's why as a problem it'll never be solved. Everyone knows it's destroying the country, but hey, "Let's get ours! And he's good at getting ours!"

The war hero stuff is hard to get around too. It took me a long time to hate John McCain, because the the INCREDIBLE stuff he did/endured in Vietnam. Yet somehow everything he's done since then in the world of politics is pure bullshit. I have since cut loose all leeway I gave him for his wartime heroics, and now see him as he truly is. A douchebag.

I feel the same way about pork barrel, but I see it as a systemic flaw of our form of democracy, which is why all politicians have to play the game. This is the reason for politics and politicians having their own unusual form of ethics that pretty much is not congruent with what the ordinary man finds wrong and right. I find this disturbing, but have yet to find a strong, and extremely ethical politician that I like and is intelligent. I've come to the conclusion that they don't exist, and there's no possibility that they could survive even if they tried - at least not in this system. This why I also don't understand the dualistic categories in this country - conservative vs liberal; Republican vs Democrat, etc etc... B/c they are all corrupt, and participate in the same system. But on Capitol Hill, that's the game, and the civilian ethics don't apply. Just like war.

Despite what they say they believe, the system will force them to tow the line or commit political hara-kiri.

As for Dan, I could go on but well I've already described the lens I see all politicians so I leave it at that. I am not blind; He is not a saint, but he did some good.
12/19/12 4:57 AM
Moke
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed. To sum up: an intelligent ethically disciplined person would never enter politics as is. Country = fucked.
12/19/12 5:04 AM
Moke

KC, the only problem I see regarding a lottery is that the revenue never ends up relieving the amount of burden on the taxpayer, nor does it send more funding into things like schools etc., it just ends up being spent on even more bullshit they've always wanted to spend money on. Taxes never go down and spending never goes down.

Even when they claim the money will be isolated in a "lockbox" intended "only for schools" for example, that always ends up being a straight up lie and the money gets reallocated as people and editorials grumble about it but nothing is done about it...because there is never accountability.

And as in life in general, when there is no accountability, you may as well do whatever-the-fuck-you-want.
12/19/12 5:14 AM
MOB U2

^Unfortunately true. That's what Anthony Hopkins tried to tell us in Legends of the Fall.

IMHO back in the day, money that was slushed off in gov't excess and corruption was regained through war and cheap labor abroad. Maybe this is why we are trying to conquer space? Enslave an alien species and take their resources perhaps? I don't know, but if so, I must watch Alien Nation again to gain a better understanding.

As for KC's gambling recommendation, I have to think about that for a while. Haven't quite decided on the possibilities. Prostitution should be legal though cause I know some socially maladjusted people that can't get laid for shit and they shouldn't be punished for it. Gov't allowing Handjobs > Gov't allowing Handouts IMHO.
12/19/12 6:18 AM
JIMMYNAKS
324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I felt same as FCTV808

Something about him set off my Spidey Senses and now that I hear about all his past War accomplishments I want to think of him as a good man but IDK.

Either way, RIP. Phone Post
12/19/12 1:05 PM
FCTV808

ron paul woulda fixed all of them. he was gandalf gdi
12/19/12 2:56 PM
Sgt. Slaphead

MOB U2 - 
Moke - Pork barrel is bitter-sweet...that's why as a problem it'll never be solved. Everyone knows it's destroying the country, but hey, "Let's get ours! And he's good at getting ours!"

I feel the same way about pork barrel, but I see it as a systemic flaw of our form of democracy, which is why all politicians have to play the game. This is the reason for politics and politicians having their own unusual form of ethics that pretty much is not congruent with what the ordinary man finds wrong and right. I find this disturbing, but have yet to find a strong, and extremely ethical politician that I like and is intelligent. I've come to the conclusion that they don't exist, and there's no possibility that they could survive even if they tried - at least not in this system. This why I also don't understand the dualistic categories in this country - conservative vs liberal; Republican vs Democrat, etc etc... B/c they are all corrupt, and participate in the same system. But on Capitol Hill, that's the game, and the civilian ethics don't apply. Just like war.

Despite what they say they believe, the system will force them to tow the line or commit political hara-kiri.

As for Dan, I could go on but well I've already described the lens I see all politicians so I leave it at that. I am not blind; He is not a saint, but he did some good.

"I've come to the conclusion that they don't exist, and there's no possibility that they could survive even if they tried - at least not in this system."

Sorry man, but that's like typical shit dirtbags use to justify their actions. And look at what he does even in death.....recommends HANABUSA TO BE HIS SUCCESSOR! He knew his recommendation would carry so much weight and he wished to saddle us with her!?!?!?!?!?!?
12/19/12 6:50 PM
conviser
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/20/12 12:53 AM
Word on the street is that the letter of recommendation was hand-delivered by Messrs. Watanabe (HEI Chairman) and Dods (Hawaiian Telcom Chairman and former First Hawaiian CEO). Plenty of local power behind this.

==> Delivery confirmed. http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/20121219__Inouyes_call_for_Hanabusa_puts_Democrats_on_the_spot.html?id=184064411
12/21/12 12:46 AM
TheAlchemist
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heard Dan was no saint by any stretch of the imagination but you gotta respect the many things the man accomplished in his life.  

12/23/12 3:08 PM
wopyojah
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the man should've retired years ago.
12/28/12 3:31 AM
jjmtg
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

According to everything I read his WWII actions remind me of the head guy in Band of Brothers. Start off as a regular soldier and based on his actions promoted up the chain. I read that when he first was elected he was told to raise his right arm to take the oath but told the person he couldn't. The person swearing him in said, "Why not?" and was told, because I lost that arm fighting in WWII.

I don't really like a lot of shit in politics and yeah, maybe he should've left awhile ago but anyone that losing a limb charging a machine gun nest is a badass.

I don't like that his body is being dragged around all over but if that allows people to move on and pay respects its all good.

I really like how they picked Brian Shatz to replace him. Its both a big fuck you and maybe the best choice possible. Who knows but yeah, RIP Sen.
12/28/12 10:34 AM
FCTV808

yep the bring out your dead parade is horrible.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.