UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Arum is the dumbest promoter history

12/18/12 11:50 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

When UFC President Dana White first took over the UFC he vowed to not repeat the mistakes of boxing.

White, whose background was originally in boxing, is a massive Many Pacquiao fan, and was aghast when promoter Bob Arum matched him with the dangerous Juan Manuel Marquez. Marquez ended up winning the fight last weekend, ruining a potential fight of the decade, or decades, with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

“I’m the biggest Manny Pacquiao fan ever, I bet on Marquez,” White revealed Saturday night. “Dumbest fight in history. Bob Arum is a moron. You don’t take that fight, you idiot. Why would you do that fight? It’s all about the money, that’s why.

“That was a money fight, that’s what that fight was done for.”

“[Pacquiao] should have fought [Timothy] Bradley. Bradley’s the fight they should have done. He would have knocked Bradley out, he would have got his belt back and now he’s back in the position he should have been in.

“[Pacquiao's] one of the best fighters in the world. He goes out and fights Marquez again? Bob Arum is the dumbest promoter in the history of the world.”

Read entire article...

12/18/12 11:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Carne de cavalo é o melhor
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"DFW: Arum is the dumbest promoter history"

Jesus Phone Post
12/18/12 11:53 AM
rrg1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Basically "It's all about the $$$ the fighters bring me so I won't really take risks."

12/18/12 11:55 AM
ScottishSkirtWearersTopTeam
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carne de cavalo é o melhor - "DFW: Arum is the dumbest promoter history"

Jesus Phone Post
Lol! Phone Post
12/18/12 12:07 PM
danggook
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rrg1 - Basically "It's all about the $$$ the fighters bring me so I won't really take risks."

Well when a fighter is 2-0-1 vs another fighter it is incredibly stupid to take 4th fight, there is nothing to gain and everything to lose Phone Post
12/18/12 12:10 PM
Brian Rule
383 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ScottishSkirtWearersTopTeam - 
Carne de cavalo é o melhor - "DFW: Arum is the dumbest promoter history"

Jesus Phone Post
Lol! Phone Post

third
12/18/12 12:15 PM
Chris Power
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poor Bob and Manny will have to settle for the millions they've already made as opposed to millions more, I suppose.

I can't imagine their grief.
12/18/12 12:16 PM
BaraoKix

Dana saying its all about the $$$?

Couldn't ever imagine HIM being the 1 to say that...
12/18/12 12:16 PM
hubris
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

danggook - 
rrg1 - Basically "It's all about the $$$ the fighters bring me so I won't really take risks."

Well when a fighter is 2-0-1 vs another fighter it is incredibly stupid to take 4th fight, there is nothing to gain and everything to lose Phone Post

basically
12/18/12 12:18 PM
TuLegit

Its true. The guy is a moron to put an icon like pacquiao against his toughest opponent without a belt on the line. Phone Post
12/18/12 12:21 PM
Phisher

Dana needs to shut the fuck up. Zuffa's incompetence has been exposed for the world to see in the past year. This "we're the best fight promoters in world" schtick is a farce. They got lucky capitalizing on a fad in US, Canada and now Brazil. That's it.

Given all of the bullshit that they've pulled with title fights in the past year, I don't know how anybody could believe that they're more credible than the average boxing promoter.

Marquez/Pac IV was a farce even though the first three fights were all competitive and the last one had a controversial decision where many people thought that Marquez won, but Jones/Sonnen is solid matchmaking?

This guy is a fucking clown.

12/18/12 12:25 PM
Phisher

danggook - 

Many people thought that Pac lost the third fight. He got dropped from the top of all of the media pound for pound lists as a result, and it affected his credibility and marketablity. The fight made perfect sense IMO, and Pac was on his way to winning before he got careless at the end of the sixth round. The last two rounds of that fight were the best that Pac has looked in years. 

Even if it was a stupid business decision, Dana isn't the one to make that argument.

12/18/12 12:35 PM
Phisher

TuLegit -  Its true. The guy is a moron to put an icon like pacquiao against his toughest opponent without a belt on the line. Phone Post

Belts mean dick. They serve stictly as promotional devices for fighters. When you're at the Pacquiao/Mayweather level, you don't need one to sell the fight. That's why this one did around a million buys in spite of the fact that Pacquiao isn't a "champion" anymore.

It was a bullshit title anyway. The WBO let Pac go two and a half years without fighting a madatory challenger. The sanctioning bodies strip lesser known fighters left and right for doing the same thing. Sometimes, a fighter will get stripped when he's only held the belt a few months like when the Mexican Boxing Council took their 140 lb. title from Bradley to hand it to Erik Morales for fighting some scrub.

12/18/12 12:37 PM
Motivated Penn
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, Pacquiao vs Marquez was a money fight.

As opposed to be entirely legitimate fight between Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen.

Don't make me fucking laugh, Dana.
12/18/12 12:41 PM
Ironhouse
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/18/12 12:44 PM
Arum has really lost it, I hear he has even been giving title fights to people based on twitter followers.

If a guy like Arum ran UFC we would probably see fights like Sonnen vs Jones or Diaz vs GSP but we all know UFC is the best fighting the best 3 to 4 times a year.
12/18/12 12:41 PM
Ironhouse
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Motivated Penn - Yes, Pacquiao vs Marquez was a money fight.

QFT
12/18/12 12:42 PM
Kuroi Kaze
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana said to me the night before the fight, "Pacquiao doesn't have this one.  He's going to lose.  Mark my words everyone will be talking about how he got knocked out the next morning." or something to that effect.

I give zero fucks about boxing but I figured I'd chime in.

12/18/12 12:44 PM
Garv
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fightersbook.com, Get Connected
Ironhouse - Arum has really lost it, I hear he has even been giving title fights to people based on twitter followers.

lmao.

12/18/12 12:49 PM
Phisher

time traveling 12er - 
Phisher - 

Dana needs to shut the fuck up. Zuffa's incompetence has been exposed for the world to see in the past year. This "we're the best fight promoters in world" schtick is a farce. They got lucky capitalizing on a fad in US, Canada and now Brazil. That's it.

Given all of the bullshit that they've pulled with title fights in the past year, I don't know how anybody could believe that they're more credible than the average boxing promoter.

Marquez/Pac IV was a farce even though the first three fights were all competitive and the last one had a controversial decision where many people thought that Marquez won, but Jones/Sonnen is solid matchmaking?

This guy is a fucking clown.

Uh... it's an easy fight for JBJ. It's a do-over of a controversial match-up that was made on short notice because Henderson dropped out. It's also promoting a tv-show and getting JBJ out there on TV. JBJ doesn't have the greatest personality out there so it makes perfect sense to put him in there with Sonnen. I don't understand people complaining about the legitimacy of the title. It's not like JBJ hasn't already cleaned out the division. Doesn't he earn the ability to call out for his next appt. and get some tv money?

A "do-over" of a what? A last minute replacement fight to save an event that nobody really cared about?

There are three legit challengers for Jones at present: Machida, Henderson and Gustafsson. The Sonnen fight is only about saving TUF. Nothing else. I suppose that Jones has earned himself an easy payday, but I'd rather see a real fight. And if Jones does somehow lose to Sonnen, Dana will end up looking just as fucking stupid as he's claims Arum is.

As for Jones' personality, he's never going to get over with the MMA marks. As long as he keeps kicking ass, that doesn't matter.

12/18/12 12:49 PM
armbarheelhook
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Motivated Penn - Yes, Pacquiao vs Marquez was a money fight.

its always about the money for dana. dana gave us james toney v randy couture for god sake. Lets not forget matt hughes v royce gracie who had no business fighting that fight.

He keeps pumping money into TUF which has shown to be on a downward turn for awhile now in desperate need of drastic changes or to completely get rid of TUF for a new program.

sure arum makes bad decisions, but dont let us believe that dana hasnt. Phone Post
12/18/12 12:50 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
587 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well Dana is right about Arum. But when you see who is fighting for the UFC titles this spring though, he probably shouldn't be talking. Phone Post
12/18/12 12:53 PM
Garv
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/18/12 12:54 PM
Fightersbook.com, Get Connected

Dana is right about Arum, but that's not really why he says that shit.  He's still pissed off about being a failed boxercize instructor while Arum was making millions. 

And Arum did this because he's old and wants that money now.  Arum is about Arum, no one else.

12/18/12 1:02 PM
rowil

White may be right about Arum (and I have to admit, it gave me great pleasure to look at Arum's dumb face after the KO) but from a sporting perspective he's dead wrong here imo. To me the fact that Marquez was able to beat Pac proves that it was the right fight because it showed who's the better fighter.

In sports it's not about making your side look the best, it's about deciding who is best. If Manchester United gets drawn against Liverpool it may be a good matchup for them or not, but who plays who is not decided by what's best for the English FA, but by predefined and clearly stated rules.

This quote by White to me shows a lot about what's wrong with the UFC these days - matchups not decided by merit, but by what's best for their golden boys' PR.
12/18/12 1:06 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC had no other choice but to do Jones/Sonnen because no one else would step up.

GSP wanted Diaz so that's the match they had to make.

Kimbo Slice wasn't brought onto TUF for TV ratings, they thought he could be a legit HW contender.

James Toney fought Couture because Toney followed Dana all over the world dogging on MMA fighters and that he could beat all of them. It had nothing to do with money.

Don't compare Dana to Bob, it's just not the same.
12/18/12 1:13 PM
JerodR
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For some reason the quote function isn't working for me so I will just get to the point...

JBJ vs. Sonnen is setting up a fight that Jones can win. With TUF this will lead to more exposure as well. That will help set up a fight with Anderson Silva (BIG money fight). So yes, that is actually a good move on Dana's part as a PROMOTER.

I think too many people are getting upset because they are taking Dana's comments and applying them towards fights that make sense from a ranking stand point and not a promotion stand point. Certainly rankings do play a part without question, however it is the job of a promoter to put on and set up big money fights. That what pays the bills. From a promoter stand point what Arum did was especially dumb.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.