UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Marines end UFC sponsorship

12/18/12 1:51 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The Marine Corps has ended its sponsorship of the Ultimate Fighting Championship just months after members of Congress pushed to end all military sports sponsorships and a veterans group urged the Marine Corps to reconsider its ties to the mixed martial arts organization.

The contract with UFC expired Nov. 30 and the money was assigned elsewhere, said Maj. John Caldwell, a spokesman for Marine Corps Recruiting Command.

“Due to evolving mission requirements, budgetary constraints, marketing analysis and the recommendation of our contracted advertising agency, resources previously allocated to the endeavor have been applied to alternate priorities,” he said.

Even as the Marine Corps shrinks, recruiters are working to expand advertising and engagement in communities to recruit a more diverse and representative group of Marines, particularly officers, he said.

“The Marine Corps continues to stress strong personal values in markets that are viewed by young men and women who are interested in military service,” Caldwell said.

Rep. Jack Kingston, a Georgia Republican, in June led an effort to ban military sponsorships of pro sports. The measure failed, but the Army announced it would end its sponsorship of a NASCAR team.

UFC officials did not respond to a request for comment.

Read entire article...

12/18/12 2:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
6ULDV8
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice they threw the culinary union into the article.

If there are two things a culinary union should be concerned about, it's the marines and the UFC.  

The people paying hard-earned dues must be grateful.

12/18/12 2:39 PM
Kirik
1629 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

That sucks - like saying peanut butter and jelly shouldn't go together.

12/18/12 2:40 PM
TheIronCodpiece
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sigh. Unite Here is pathetic. I wonder if their union members know that they're pissing away union dues on a ridiculous witch hunt?
12/18/12 2:46 PM
time traveling 12er
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if this ends the fight for the troops cards. It's already been awhile since we had one.
12/18/12 2:52 PM
TARRat
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"“The UFC is an organization that has tolerated people associated with it making jokes about rape, homophobic slurs and sexually explicit remarks that are demeaning towards women,” the group wrote in a July letter to Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Amos."

Apparently, General Amos has never spent time with a group of marines, or he'd be used to many of those types of remarks.
12/18/12 2:58 PM
Chris27

octowussy - This is a shame, especially after all the UFC has done for the armed forces. But these groups wouldn't have any merit behind their arguments if it weren't for Dana White and his big mouth.

They would just single out the fighters like Torres and Rampage etc.

Its not just Dana, a group like that is gonna find anything to attack the UFC with.

Anyway this had nothing to do with Dana or the UFC, the military is ending sports sponsorships, Army just ended a deal with Nascar, its budget cuts.
12/18/12 3:01 PM
DrowningInRory'sBlueEyes
1062 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

time traveling 12er - I wonder if this ends the fight for the troops cards. It's already been awhile since we had one.
This...early 2011 was the last one. I've been wondering the same thing & I'm sure we won't see another one now. Sucks!! Phone Post
12/18/12 3:03 PM
BENDOver 209 Top Team #1
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best thing I've heard all year.. FUCK the US industrial war machine

12/18/12 4:06 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL

12/18/12 4:16 PM
nomad1974
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont think the cards will/should stop.

The WWE has been doing their Tribute to the Troops every year since '03 and i cant remember a peep about that.
12/18/12 4:21 PM
GarlicSauce

Good. MMA is about honest competition. Associating them with these paid murderers is bad for the sport.
12/18/12 4:22 PM
Rumblefish
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The reason is simple:
The marines wanted to ramp UP their recruiting, and the partnership with UFC was a tool to accomplish that mission.

They no longer need to recruit as feverishly, so there's no need to continue the partnership/Spend the $$$
12/18/12 4:22 PM
PJ Benn Fan
196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No big deal. The UFC will find another sponsor to pick up the slack!

12/18/12 4:29 PM
HolyAvengerP5

"well well well motherfuckers" - condom depot
12/18/12 4:44 PM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So we won't have to watch 39 marine commercials every card now?
12/18/12 4:45 PM
Letibleu
1653 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Colton Smith's fault.
12/18/12 4:47 PM
Letibleu
1653 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know 6 people that joined the Marines after seeing a UFC event sponsored by the Marines. True story.
12/18/12 5:08 PM
HolyAvengerP5

who needs advertising when you can just use a draft?
12/18/12 5:21 PM
BooZe

Chris27 -
octowussy - This is a shame, especially after all the UFC has done for the armed forces. But these groups wouldn't have any merit behind their arguments if it weren't for Dana White and his big mouth.

They would just single out the fighters like Torres and Rampage etc.

Its not just Dana, a group like that is gonna find anything to attack the UFC with.

Anyway this had nothing to do with Dana or the UFC, the military is ending sports sponsorships, Army just ended a deal with Nascar, its budget cuts.
This,

I'm active duty Army, and seen this coming a year ago, things have changed drastically. Marines are less funded than we are so it comes as no surprise... Phone Post
12/18/12 5:47 PM
The Big Lebansky
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BENDOver 209 Top Team #1 -

This.

Got sick and tired of all the "a global force for good" propaganda. Phone Post
12/18/12 6:06 PM
Foos
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Big Lebansky - 

This.

Agreed
12/18/12 6:18 PM
Elite Calgary

Foos -
The Big Lebansky - 

This.

Agreed
One more time Phone Post
12/18/12 6:40 PM
ohpossum
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ToneybyArmbar - Marines were about 5 years late to the game anyway to grow alongside the UFC boom that began in 2005-2006. They proposed a partnership with UFC, but at the time, a female general objected because of the ring girls, and another general objected because they did not want blood smeared on the Marines emblem of Eagle, Globe and Anchor.

I know this because I did PR/marketing for the Marine Corps between 2006-2009, and worked with former UFC PR rep Loren Mack and spoke with Dana White at UFC 59 in Anaheim. IMO the Marines hopped on the train at a point when the popularity began to level off, and when the troop increase mission from approx 188,000 to 202,000 was already accomplished. Phone Post
Interesting! Any other inside info about UFC sponsorships, etc? Phone Post
12/18/12 6:53 PM
Typewriter

BENDOver 209 Top Team #1 - 

this

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.