UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hendo coach questions Rousey main event status

12/18/12 4:29 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

On February 23, 2013, at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California, Ronda Rousey and Liz Carmouche headline UFC 157.

Some fans questioned whether Rousey should have been declared the first female UFC champion without a fight, and other questioned whether she should have been given PPV main event status.

Among the naysayer was Dan Henderson’s boxing coach Gus Pugliese, who argues via Facebook that Henderson vs. Machida is more deserving of main event status.

Ronda is headlining UFC 157. Here is why I have a problem with that. Ronda is the champion of Strikeforce with 6 wins in less than 2 years of a mma professional career. That's impressive regardless of who she has fought. However, she is not the UFC champion yet. She still has to win this fight to get that belt.

On the other hand, we have Hendo, who has also been the Strikeforce champion (never lost the belt), Pride champion in two different weight classes, has been ranked #1 contender for the UFC 205lbs, and #6 by many as pound for pound best fighter. His resume is second to none. Moreover, he is fighting a former champion, Lyoto Machida.

Now why aren't they main event? Is Ronda a better market value? I don't know, but her fight could be quick as usual and we could be missing another historic five round fight between two legends and possible hall of famers.

I'm not saying she doesn't deserve to headline an UFC event, but certainly not this one.

In a follow up with MMASucka, Pugliese expanded on the remarks.

“He is the President of the UFC," said the coach. "If he feels Ronda has a better market value than Hendo or Machida, he is gonna risk it. But Ronda never fought for the UFC, she was given the belt without a fight there. I believe in pecking order, and paying dues. In this particular case, it wasn’t applied.”

However, at the TUF 16 Finale post fight press conference, UFC President Dana White explained that the criticism is based on a lack of knowledge about how main events work in the organization. The decision to make the first female fight the main event centers on the fact that when Strikeforce disbanded, Rousey's Strikeforce Women's Bantamweight Championship carried over to the UFC, as the organization did not formerly have a women's division.

So Rousey is the UFC champion, and the UFC champion always headlines a card.

"She's the champ," said White. "You will never see a situation in any fight, whether men, women, the lightest weight division there is. If you're the champion, you're the headliner. You're the top of the card.

"I've seen some people talking s---, 'ohh, the women's fight is headlining.' Ronda Rousey is badass, she's a champ, her opponent stepped up to the plate and wanted this fight with her when no one, others didn't. I don't give a s-- what they say, that's a fact."

"What people don't realize is there was a time and a day when we put the '55 pound division and headlined it with a title fight and people said, 'you can't headline a title fight, BJ Penn and Jens Pulver in a title fight headlining?' This is ridiculous. BJ Penn become one of the biggest stars in mixed martial arts and a huge pay-per-view draw."

"I'm looking at Ronda and all the other 135-pound women the same way I'm looking at the guys. They're UFC fighters, and they deserve all the recognition and perks and all the other things that go along with the men. Everyone keeps asking all this crazy s--. It's not f------ 1920 guys - there's women fighting in the UFC, there's a woman who's the champ. She's mean, she's nasty, she's badass, and there are other girls in that division who are tough. There are fights out there that will be interesting, and I'm going to treat them the way I treat the guys, no different."

12/18/12 4:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Thingading
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that is about as honest, respectful and correct one can be with that statement.
12/18/12 4:35 PM
EckY
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the worst thign UFC have ever done imo.

Having Hendo/Machida a 3 rounder just to accomodate the Rousey show is a travesty.

12/18/12 4:37 PM
LFTM
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thingading - I think that is about as honest, respectful and correct one can be with that statement.
I was thinking the same thing. Phone Post
12/18/12 4:37 PM
tomp6581
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EckY -

Having Hendo/Machida a 3 rounder just to accomodate the Rousey show is a travesty.

This Phone Post
12/18/12 4:38 PM
Periodik
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People have short memories. Not to mention countless threads already explaining why Rousey is ufc champ and why she's headlining.

People were butthurt when the lighweight men's division was headlining UFC and look at it now, it's probably the most talent filled division.
Diaz_Brothers_Number_4_fan
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought Dana said that a title fight will always be the main event regardless of who is on the card.
Haulport

It is a JOKE that Ronda is even on the card let alone the headliner ahead of LEGENDS like Hendo and Machida.

LAUGHABLE.

And the UFC wonders why their PPV #'s have fallen to pieces...

12/18/12 4:40 PM
dan0s

This is crazy business... Hendo vs machida needs to be 5 rounds! Phone Post
DamnSevern
1209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thingading - I think that is about as honest, respectful and correct one can be with that statement.

agreed and agree with everything he said.

BlueOnBlack
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very respectful argument that I agree with. After the Shogun 5 rounder, I would have loved to see something similar with Machida.
12/18/12 4:41 PM
MachidasStraightLeft
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tomp6581 - 
EckY -

This Phone Post

12/18/12 4:45 PM
ausmma
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport - 

It is a JOKE that Ronda is even on the card let alone the headliner ahead of LEGENDS like Hendo and Machida.

LAUGHABLE.

And the UFC wonders why their PPV #'s have fallen to pieces...

this is how I feel as well, and also I don't know if I want to buy the PPV I want to see the Hendo Machida fight but I don't want to bump up the numbers so he UFC thinks every one wants to see rousey in a main event. 

12/18/12 4:46 PM
DanEzra
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/18/12 5:35 PM
Periodik - People have short memories. Not to mention countless threads already explaining why Rousey is ufc champ and why she's headlining.

People were butthurt when the lighweight men's division was headlining UFC and look at it now, it's probably the most talent filled division.

Voted up.  Give the women's division a chance.

e: I got voted down for this. 

12/18/12 4:47 PM
danggook
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While what he says is true, he should realize that not making it a main event fight is quite beneficial to hendo whose gas tank is not the best. Phone Post
12/18/12 4:47 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Dana doesn't have a crush on Hendo..... Phone Post
12/18/12 4:52 PM
Periodik

maq102192 - 
Periodik - People have short memories. Not to mention countless threads already explaining why Rousey is ufc champ and why she's headlining.

Shut the fuck up, nobody will ever be as much into WMMA as any men's division in the UFC. Phone Post

You seem like an intellectual...
12/18/12 4:54 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I honestly don't think it matters that much because I'm expecting Machida to be the first one to TKO Dan. Round 3.
12/18/12 4:56 PM
Thingading
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outlaw'd by Lytle -  Dana doesn't have a crush on Hendo..... Phone Post

Boy, that is the truth. Hendo has a double wammie going against him.

Dana loves him some Ronda and at the same time has taken shots from Hendo who has not been afraid to fire back at him over the years when disagreeing. One of the very, very few big name fighters with the balls to do so. Hendo has never played Dana's game. He is being unfairly punished for it now. First, losing his title shot to a guy who probably isn't even in the LHW top 25 and now being bumped down on the card by two chicks who have never even fought in the UFC. Unreal.
12/18/12 4:58 PM
XcessiveZ

Periodik -
maq102192 - 
Periodik - People have short memories. Not to mention countless threads already explaining why Rousey is ufc champ and why she's headlining.

Shut the fuck up, nobody will ever be as much into WMMA as any men's division in the UFC. Phone Post

You seem like an intellectual...
He's right though.The fact that she is main eventing over Hendo/Machida is a joke.This isn't the LW division, this is WMMA and if Rousey loses the whole division would probably be done away with and we lose out on a possible 5 round war between two top MMA fighters. Phone Post
12/18/12 4:59 PM
shb
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what's ridiculous is that a fight has to be the main event to be 5 rounds. why can't they just say "hendo vs machida is 5 rounds now. why? because we say so"
12/18/12 5:00 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When Ronda loses (she won't lose to Liz), Dana's postfight meltdown will make $kala's Kimbo-Petruzelli moment look like it was nothing.

The problem isn't just Ronda Rousey getting to headline a UFC PPV.

It's that LIZ CARMOUCHE is headlining a UFC PPV in 2012.

Yeah.

It's a squash match meant to showcase Ronda so FOX was where this should have gone.

Liz Carmouche in a UFC PPV main event slot is a slap in the face to those paying 60 bucks to see it in HD.

And Dana wants to smack Bob Arum?

Boxing would get KILLED in the mainstream media for such a move.

Not even Mayweather-Mosley was as gross of a mismatch and that one was pretty damned gross.

At least Mosley was a name.

Carmouche?

Team Lizbo?

The only PPV fights are Rousey-Cyborg or Rousey-Carano (STRICTLY name value).

Remember UFC 100?

We've come a long way baby, since then. Phone Post
12/18/12 5:00 PM
UGCTT_Dinamita
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I'm not saying she doesn't deserve to headline an UFC event, but certainly not this one."

This. Phone Post
12/18/12 5:01 PM
benjininja

tomp6581 -
EckY -

This Phone Post
Yep yep Phone Post
12/18/12 5:02 PM
Neil McCauley

I dont mind ronda being on the card and dont care about the order of the fights. I just want machida vs hendo to be 5 rounds. zuffa done goofed.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.