UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Eddie Alvarez receives offer from UFC

12/18/12 10:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Card
2031 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/18/12 10:25 PM

Per Bellator's Bjorn Rebney, they've received UFC contract offer for Eddie Alvarez and are now a few days into 2-wk matching period. 

— Loretta Hunt (@lorettahuntmma) December 19, 2012

Rebney says Bellator has capability to match what UFC has offered Alvarez. Decision will be made in next week and half 

— Loretta Hunt (@lorettahuntmma) December 19, 2012

12/18/12 10:30 PM
Slap Maxwell
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator won't and shouldn't match it. Let him move on as he doesn't really have a place in Bellator.

Chandler is the champ, Eddie likely won't do the tourney again, you need to win the tourney to get a title shot, and there are only so many superfights Bellator will be able to have or want to pay for.

Their format is good without him, and Eddie SHOULD be in the UFC.
12/18/12 10:35 PM
TheMorg826
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bout time! Phone Post
12/18/12 10:39 PM
dbeedy
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So does it come down to the fighters decision? If bellator matches its still down to his choice right?

Should be interesting. If it comes down to money he should choose bellator considering he could make big money against weaker competition.

But if he wants to Cement his name among the greatest he should choose UFC. Phone Post
12/18/12 10:46 PM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"If bellator matches its still down to his choice right?"

Nope, he would have to take the Bellator contract if he wants to fight at all during the terms of whatever his contract is with them. If Bellator matches the UFC deal, Eddie cannot choose the UFC, at least not for a couple years I imagine.

12/18/12 10:49 PM
caposa
1704 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea the decision is out of Eddie's hands now

12/18/12 10:51 PM
HenryO

Will be shitty if Bellator matches. Though a second Chandler fight would be awesome, it just doenst mkae sense for him to stay there
12/18/12 10:53 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
479 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And now we wait Phone Post
12/18/12 10:54 PM
ZombieJiuJitsu

Hopefully the UFC gets him and introduces him correctly, by not putting him against his worse possible match-up and breaking his spirit. Like we see sometimes when they bring in guys from other organizations.
12/18/12 10:55 PM
MostLegit
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think letting their big names move over draws more eyes to their format without breaking the bank. People equate Lombard and Alverez with Bellator. If they to on a tear, eyes will go to Bellator to see how deep their talent pool is. Phone Post
12/18/12 10:55 PM
in_different
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

assuming Eddie makes to to UFC, who should they match him up with? Diaz perhaps?
12/18/12 10:56 PM
Letibleu
1662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spike (Viacom) is a financial variable in this equation.

UFC probably made a slightly over valued offer so that if Bellator retains Eddie, they will be paying too much. If the UFC gets him, the money they payed for him will be warranted by the brand bruising (of Bellator) they will get out of it.
12/18/12 10:57 PM
ZombieJiuJitsu

in_different - assuming Eddie makes to to UFC, who should they match him up with? Diaz perhaps?

I always thought him and Edgar would be a good match up. I dont know why.
12/18/12 10:59 PM
orcus

ZombieJiuJitsu - 
in_different - assuming Eddie makes to to UFC, who should they match him up with? Diaz perhaps?

They would be, but they are friends and training partners and in different divisions now.

12/18/12 11:04 PM
ZombieJiuJitsu

orcus - 
ZombieJiuJitsu - 

They would be, but they are friends and training partners and in different divisions now.

True, him and Joe Lauzon would be awesome.
12/19/12 2:15 AM
Haulport

I didn't want to see Eddie leave Bellator but now I feel like I'd really like to see Eddie vs. Bendo

If Bellator didn't have belts and they put their champs back into the tourneys then I'd want Eddie to stay.

12/19/12 2:30 AM
MMALOGIC

dbeedy -  So does it come down to the fighters decision? If bellator matches its still down to his choice right?

Should be interesting. If it comes down to money he should choose bellator considering he could make big money against weaker competition.

But if he wants to Cement his name among the greatest he should choose UFC. Phone Post

Their matching rights for eddie are only 6 montths from the day he became a free agent.  so around 4 months form now.

It's possible that If bellator matches Alvarez may be able to wait the 4 months and still go with the UFC.

12/19/12 4:35 AM
DEZBOT

He's probably got one of the best body's in mma (enter gay jokes here) Phone Post
12/19/12 5:04 AM
MMALOGIC

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - 
MMALOGIC - 
dbeedy -  So does it come down to the fighters decision? If bellator matches its still down to his choice right?

Their matching rights for eddie are only 6 montths from the day he became a free agent.  so around 4 months form now.

It's possible that If bellator matches Alvarez may be able to wait the 4 months and still go with the UFC.

I believe once its a formal offer they have the right to match or not match. If they match, he has to go to BFC. With that being said, I don't think they match. UFC is smart and most likely put a lot of poison pills in it that said things like if X amount of fights are not in Vegas he gets more, promise him X in sponsorship, PPV %, etc... to make it real difficult for them to match. In a 45 page contract, they have a lot of room to put things in there to fuck with BFC.

lol at the vegas stipulation...  that would be hilarious.  Im sure they have one where it says everytime you fight in something other than an octogan you get 1 million dollars.

12/19/12 5:09 AM
OFC

I think Eddie comes into arguably the deepest division in UFC. Almost any top ten match up out the gate will be great for him. And I don't knock him for the Chandler fight, Chandler showed a lot of grit and it was a great back and forth fight.
Even if they match him with Miller, Guillard, or Varner would be exciting. I'd like to see him against Pettis, Maynard, Cerrone or Lauzon; and then Bendo Phone Post
12/19/12 5:11 AM
morse
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport - 

I didn't want to see Eddie leave Bellator but now I feel like I'd really like to see Eddie vs. Bendo

If Bellator didn't have belts and they put their champs back into the tourneys then I'd want Eddie to stay.

Eddie vs Bendo sounds nice.

12/19/12 7:23 AM
MMALOGIC

^ his chin is not that bad... he's taken flush shots and has never been out cold.  His chin isnt rock hard but it certainly isnt an arlovski chin where a strong fart would place him unconcsious.

Eddie's problem is that he gets hit too much and that comes with being exciting.

12/19/12 7:24 AM
markiz

Eddie goes for it. Sometimes too much. That's what makes him a great fighter, but on the other hand sometimes it backfires.

Anyway I'm more excited to see him in the UFC than I am to see Melendez.
12/19/12 7:24 AM
MMALOGIC

HenryO - Will be shitty if Bellator matches. Though a second Chandler fight would be awesome, it just doenst mkae sense for him to stay there

im sure chandler will be in the UFC as well and they'll have their second fight.

12/19/12 7:31 AM
Tank by gogoplata

Strength - Eddie Alveraz is a very good fighter. There should be no denying that.

Good striker. GREAT power. Good wrestling. Always super EXCITING etc

Kid is talented

Its a shame he has a such a poor chin though :(

Eddie is like a 155 pound Arlovski, but worse :(

If Eddie can tighten up his defense to lessen the number of shots he takes, then he could be top 3 at 155 IMO

His chin is holding him back IMO

Holding him back from what? The guy is a top 5 lightweight hands down. 155 pound Arlovski is a stretch, 12er.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.