UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ellenberger asked for bout with Hendricks

12/18/12 11:23 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Despite Hendricks having such a distinction and winning five in a row, "Bigg Rigg" didn't get his much-desired and well-deserved title fight against "Rush." Instead, UFC matchmakers opted to book a bout between St. Pierre and Nick Diaz, which will headline the aforementioned UFC 158 event.

Not one to sit idle, Hendricks "reluctantly" decided to take another fight in interim against the always dangerous Ellenberger. And for that, Ellenberger respects the former NCAA Division-1 wrestling champion for accepting a fight in which he doesn't have much to gain, but certainly plenty to lose.

Ellenberger explains via MMA Weekly:

"He could've easily said, 'No way, I'm not going to do it.' But, I don't think he likes to sit out for a year as well as myself. But, props to him for stepping up and taking the fight where there's alot to lose and not much to gain for him. I give more respect to him for taking the fight."

read entire article...

12/18/12 11:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mr1709
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/18/12 11:27 PM
if he wins this he will have beaten 5 guys in a row that are all better than nick diaz's wins since 2007?

yet diaz still gets the title shot. dana arum indeed
12/18/12 11:28 PM
in_different
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Ellenberger knocks hendricks out. im more impressed with Jake's skills than Hendricks. I think his wrestling has adapted as well and he is a more polished striker. of course Hendricks has the best weapon, but Ellenbergers chin is sturdy.

12/18/12 11:31 PM
DWray
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not a fan of either guy, although I do still think Hendricks deserved the title shot.

However, over the past few weeks Hendricks has turned me off even more, so I'm kind of hoping Ellenberger comes out on top.
12/18/12 11:41 PM
Vidz
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish I understood this matchmaking, Hendricks is the actual number one contender and just knocked out the man who knocked Ellenberger out within the first 30 seconds of the fight. Like I understand that they're trying to keep Hendricks busy but I'd actually rather him take on Maia, because of Maia pulls off the win you could make a case for him to get a title shot, I don't feel you can with Ellenberger at the moment.
12/18/12 11:42 PM
caposa
1803 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vidz - I wish I understood this matchmaking, Hendricks is the actual number one contender and just knocked out the man who knocked Ellenberger out within the first 30 seconds of the fight. Like I understand that they're trying to keep Hendricks busy but I'd actually rather him take on Maia, because of Maia pulls off the win you could make a case for him to get a title shot, I don't feel you can with Ellenberger at the moment.

They got Hendricks a fight on the card so he can fill in incase something happens with Diaz. That's really all there is to it.

12/19/12 12:05 AM
Marzz
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa - 
Vidz - I wish I understood this matchmaking, Hendricks is the actual number one contender and just knocked out the man who knocked Ellenberger out within the first 30 seconds of the fight. Like I understand that they're trying to keep Hendricks busy but I'd actually rather him take on Maia, because of Maia pulls off the win you could make a case for him to get a title shot, I don't feel you can with Ellenberger at the moment.

They got Hendricks a fight on the card so he can fill in incase something happens with Diaz. That's really all there is to it.

Sure, but his question is still legit. Wanting Hendricks to fight in understandable. It's his choice of opponent that doesn't make much sense. Maia would be perfect.
12/19/12 12:36 AM
Enemies

Not much to gain by beating Hendricks? Considering Hendricks is the #2 fighter in the division right now I think that Ellenberger would have quite a lot to gain by beating him. :P
12/19/12 12:38 AM
Enemies

caposa - 

Or GSP. Poor Diaz if GSP got hurt.

I think Cesar might take a club to one of Diaz's knees if GSP got hurt and Hendricks got promoted to fighting Diaz.
12/19/12 12:44 AM
youarewhatiswrong
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa - 

There is zero chance that GSP accepts Hendrix as a replacement on short notice, and he shouldn't. He's the complete opposite of Nick diaz. Switching between the two on short notice would be stupid, which GSP is not.
12/19/12 1:06 AM
bruised
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is really fucking stupid. As a Nebraska native and Ellenberger fan, Hendricks shouldn't be in this position. He's much more deserving of a title fight than anyone else in the division. It's really shitty that he has to fight and stay active even though he's more deserving than anyone else.

He had to have been promised a title fight if he wins and a replacement if Diaz flakes. Oh, and to the poster above me, safety wise, GSP shouldn't take him as a late replacement because he's dangerous, but as champion, he should be planning on it as a possibility because Hendricks is the #1 contender. I like GSP also, but his bullshit about Diaz being suitable because his fight with Condit was debatable and he's coming off a year long suspension vs. Hendricks who has beaten everyone who was put in front of him is fucking stupid.

Call a spade a spade: There's more of a story to tell with Diaz and more money to be made and that is why the fight is happening. I like GSP, but I'm starting to want Diaz to win given this crock of shit. Phone Post
12/19/12 1:16 AM
adame09
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Enemies - Not much to gain by beating Hendricks? Considering Hendricks is the #2 fighter in the division right now I think that Ellenberger would have quite a lot to gain by beating him. :P
Hendricks does not have much to gain. That's what Ellenberger said. Obviously Ellenberger has a lot to gain, he asked for the fight.

On a side note. I think Ellenberger is a better all around fighter than Hendricks. People are quick to forget those controversial split decisions against Pierce and Koscheck.

I have Ellenberger via TKO Phone Post
12/19/12 1:28 AM
MMALOGIC

if hendricks loses GSP has no opponent for his next fight so he'll have to fight Anderson... if Johnny wins then GSP has to decide which is the better option...  Johnny or Anderson.

Either way Hendricks is gonna fight for the  title next if he wins... either GSP or for an interim belt against someone like Rory.

12/19/12 1:30 AM
caposa
1803 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marzz - 
caposa - 

Sure, but his question is still legit. Wanting Hendricks to fight in understandable. It's his choice of opponent that doesn't make much sense. Maia would be perfect.

Maia is already fighting Fitch the month before. MacDonald and Condit are fighting on the same card. GSP/Diaz is the main event. Dong Hyun Kim is fighting Siyar Bahadurzada. What other top Welterweights were available besides Ellenberger?

12/19/12 1:30 AM
Kings21
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mr1709 - if he wins this he will have beaten 5 guys in a row that are all better than nick diaz's wins since 2007?

yet diaz still gets the title shot. dana arum indeed

There has never been a more perfect mixup of two names before that I can think of. LoL at Dana talkin shit about matchmaking when he puts Hendo vs Machida below Rousey's first UFC fight.

Anyways, I'm goin out on a limb and saying this fight goes to Hendricks via boring decision. I know, I know that sounds crazy but sometimes you just have a feeling.
12/19/12 1:33 AM
MasterofMartialArts
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in_different - I think Ellenberger knocks hendricks out. im more impressed with Jake's skills than Hendricks. I think his wrestling has adapted as well and he is a more polished striker. of course Hendricks has the best weapon, but Ellenbergers chin is sturdy.

I agree. Ellenberger has become much more measured and technical with his striking, especially in his last few fights. People are forgetting he is dangerous as well, and I think his MMA wrestling has translated much better than Hendricks'. I hope Ellenberger takes this, he is a beast. Phone Post
12/19/12 1:36 AM
Krs10KO.com
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa -

Ahh, just in case there's any infamous sauna incidents. Good call. Phone Post
12/19/12 1:46 AM
dmjr98
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in_different - I think Ellenberger knocks hendricks out. im more impressed with Jake's skills than Hendricks. I think his wrestling has adapted as well and he is a more polished striker. of course Hendricks has the best weapon, but Ellenbergers chin is sturdy.

I agree 100% ellenburger by ko Phone Post
12/19/12 1:48 AM
dmjr98
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa -

Never thought of it like that. If true that's very smart on dans part Phone Post
12/19/12 1:53 AM
Enemies

adame09 - 
Enemies - Not much to gain by beating Hendricks? Considering Hendricks is the #2 fighter in the division right now I think that Ellenberger would have quite a lot to gain by beating him. :P
Hendricks does not have much to gain. That's what Ellenberger said. Obviously Ellenberger has a lot to gain, he asked for the fight.

On a side note. I think Ellenberger is a better all around fighter than Hendricks. People are quick to forget those controversial split decisions against Pierce and Koscheck.

I have Ellenberger via TKO Phone Post

Whoops, thanks. I had misread that.
12/19/12 3:57 AM
Letibleu
1696 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nick diaz nut hugger, it's happening :p
12/19/12 5:32 AM
in_different
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MasterofMartialArts - 

I agree. Ellenberger has become much more measured and technical with his striking, especially in his last few fights. People are forgetting he is dangerous as well, and I think his MMA wrestling has translated much better than Hendricks'. I hope Ellenberger takes this, he is a beast. Phone Post

Its crazy how many people disrespect ellenberger. He gave kampman all he could handle. Condit as well. Other than that, he has been a machine. He'll get his due after this fight
12/19/12 9:28 AM
NJstileNJ
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why does Ellenberger get the fight he wants but Hendricks doesn't get the fight he deserves?
12/19/12 9:36 AM
Right Hand JO Power
1188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone needs to tell this "journalist" that alot is not a word. Phone Post
12/19/12 9:36 AM
MMALOGIC

NJstileNJ - Why does Ellenberger get the fight he wants but Hendricks doesn't get the fight he deserves?

because the fans have to get the fight they need.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.