UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> BJJ/Judo KIDS Classes in New Jersey?

12/19/12 5:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
In Limbo
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

first off what is the youngest i can enroll my son into any sort of martial arts ...real schools please?

ideally, i'd like to find a good BJJ instructor/school that offers children's classes....and a school reputable enough for me to join as well

any BJJ schools that also have a Judo background would be ideal, though nopt a deal breaker

i live in North NJ (Bergen County are)

i know Edson Carvalho has a great school in Paterson, and he infuses Judo as well

im looking for other suggestions

thanks bros

12/19/12 9:05 PM
Smith1234
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why not have your son in wrestling then add BJJ later? I'm in Bergen County btw. Phone Post
12/20/12 8:57 AM
In Limbo
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smith1234 -  Why not have your son in wrestling then add BJJ later? I'm in Bergen County btw. Phone Post

that would work as well, however my son just turned 2...im looking to get him started sometime in the next year or 2, around his 3rd or 4th birthday....even if it's just a kids rolling and tumbling around in a gi type of class...i want him to start the martial arts experience as soon as possible

just want to find a good program

for wrestling they start a bit later, no?  should i just check out my own town's programs?

12/20/12 9:01 AM
SlapUsilly
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Performance BJJ in Fairlawn. Owned and run by my instructor Lou Vintaloro a 2nd Degree Royler Black belt.

Very reputable school and a very good kids program. www.armlock.com
12/20/12 9:14 AM
In Limbo

SlapUsilly - Performance BJJ in Fairlawn. Owned and run by my instructor Lou Vintaloro a 2nd Degree Royler Black belt.

thanks ill look into this

this is the one on broadway right?

12/20/12 9:28 AM
SlapUsilly
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Limbo - 
SlapUsilly - Performance BJJ in Fairlawn. Owned and run by my instructor Lou Vintaloro a 2nd Degree Royler Black belt.

thanks ill look into this

this is the one on broadway right?

Yep.
12/20/12 9:42 AM
Smith1234
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Limbo -
Smith1234 -  Why not have your son in wrestling then add BJJ later? I'm in Bergen County btw. Phone Post

that would work as well, however my son just turned 2...im looking to get him started sometime in the next year or 2, around his 3rd or 4th birthday....even if it's just a kids rolling and tumbling around in a gi type of class...i want him to start the martial arts experience as soon as possible

just want to find a good program

for wrestling they start a bit later, no?  should i just check out my own town's programs?

I would guess you are more likely to find a selection of quality wrestling programs than BJJ for kids.

If you are near Hoboken, the Tiger Schulman there is supposed to be decent, and I saw kids there all the time, although perhaps older than three. My son is two and a half, he will go into one of these programs probably around 5. Phone Post
12/20/12 10:01 AM
In Limbo

^ maybe 3 is too young then and im getting overanxious lol

i do know one of my friends' kids is 3 and is in a "gym jitsu" type class which is taught a a gracie school.....but is inteded for small kids btw 3-6 just to get their rolling/tumbling movements going

12/20/12 10:16 AM
Smith1234

In Limbo -

^ maybe 3 is too young then and im getting overanxious lol

i do know one of my friends' kids is 3 and is in a "gym jitsu" type class which is taught a a gracie school.....but is inteded for small kids btw 3-6 just to get their rolling/tumbling movements going

That class is just branding, it is good but there is no BJJ being learned. My son is in a "gymnastics" class where they do what you describe, learn body control, etc.

On the real, I would assume grappling class that is legit requires kids to be one to two years experienced in potty training. Makes no sense for three year olds to "roll" when they are in diapers, and even worse if just out of diapers.

I would suggest putting your son in some/any class to learn to follow instructions, be a part of a group, learn some body control. Don't worry about "martial arts" yet there is plenty of time for that. Phone Post
12/20/12 10:19 AM
In Limbo

^ BUT mahcida started trianing in diapers!

i see what you mean, good point

12/20/12 11:54 AM
NJstileNJ
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm pretty sure AMA in whipanny and pompton plains (also think) has a kids good program and are probably close to you. the owner head trainer posts here as well, good dudes
12/20/12 11:54 AM
NJstileNJ
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.amafightclub.com/

12/20/12 12:21 PM
jmk625
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would recommend tumbling/gymnastics classes from 2-4 then wrestling. My kids started wrestling at 4. They look like little weeble wobbles out on the mat!
12/20/12 1:35 PM
halfninja
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4 is the minimum age in most children's programs and even that is really young.
12/20/12 2:30 PM
27CrazyFeet
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

check out northjerseyJudo.com

the instructor is great with kids that age.
he offers adult judo and bjj as well

great guy i know him personally and he might not be the best 'fighter' in the area but he is the best with kids
1/4/13 10:35 AM
snakepitz
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can personally attest that Edson (Carvalho) is amazing with kids. Here is a little bit of his kids class

1/5/13 9:57 AM
In Limbo

snakepitz - I can personally attest that Edson (Carvalho) is amazing with kids. Here is a little bit of his kids class

thanks man, is this your school?

this is the first place i htought of, a few guys at my muay thai gym traine at Edson's and have told me fgreat things

i like the fact that Edson has a judo base in addition to BJJ

ill have to check this out for my kid in a couple years, hopefully i can take up BJJ/judo as well

1/5/13 11:35 AM
x FOX x
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SlapUsilly - Performance BJJ in Fairlawn. Owned and run by my instructor Lou Vintaloro a 2nd Degree Royler Black belt.

This Phone Post
1/5/13 12:24 PM
snakepitz
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Limbo - 
snakepitz - I can personally attest that Edson (Carvalho) is amazing with kids. Here is a little bit of his kids class

thanks man, is this your school?

this is the first place i htought of, a few guys at my muay thai gym traine at Edson's and have told me fgreat things

i like the fact that Edson has a judo base in addition to BJJ

ill have to check this out for my kid in a couple years, hopefully i can take up BJJ/judo as well

Yes I am one of Edsons black belts.

You really cant go wrong in this area (northern nj) as there is so much talent and all the schools mentioned are great ones.

It really comes down to convenience and scheduling as there isnt a bad instructor or person mentioned in this thread

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.