UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White: MMA gyms need 'more professional' approach

12/19/12 11:58 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1025 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"Georges St-Pierre told me a story where, he showed up to camp one time," White said. "They were going to have them spar with Shane Carwin. Georges said, ‘Why the f--- would I spar with Shane Carwin? How does that help me?' What does that do for me, for my career?' When you hear stupid s--- like that its like, no wonder why guys are getting hurt left and right."

The way White sees it, mixed martial arts camps were once run the way major boxing gyms approached big fights, and it wouldn't hurt if the sport went back in that direction.

"Back 10 years ago, Chuck Liddell was at his camp, he was the top dog, Tito [Ortiz] was down at his camp, [Randy] Couture at his," White said. "[Matt] Hughes had probably the most guys, you look at [Pat] Miletich's crew, they had the most killers, the top gym. Nowadays these gym are packed. Look how boxing does it. If Floyd Mayweather is training for a fight, they build a camp around Floyd. Guys come in and you have sparring partners and all this stuff. [In MMA] they have 10 guys where they're all training for a fight. It's so hard, its different now. They need to start building these camps around one guy.

"We had a situation, and I'm not singling out Greg Jackson here, I can't remember if it was Rashad [Evans] who rolled over onto Diego Sanchez's knee, or the other. They were training right next to each other. There needs to be a more professional approach to training camps than there is right now."

read entire article...

12/20/12 12:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DEZBOT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here we go..... Phone Post
12/20/12 12:07 AM
slumdog

If fighters made the same money as boxers, they would be able to afford a camp with sparring partners and what not. Phone Post
12/20/12 12:08 AM
Donoghue88
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slumdog -  If fighters made the same money as boxers, they would be able to afford a camp with sparring partners and what not. Phone Post

Beat me to it
12/20/12 12:08 AM
Ironhouse
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see a more professional approach to title fight making.
12/20/12 12:09 AM
MachidasStraightLeft
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The problem is that there's only 10 or 15 coaches that you really want to train with, and so they end up with so many fighters that they coach.  Dana's whole "Floyd has a camp centered around him" approach won't work for that.

It's kind of Dana's fault too.  With all the fights he schedules and all the fighters he has under contract, Greg Jackson can't afford to have a Travis Browne-specific camp when he's got all these fighters with upcoming fights as well.

12/20/12 12:12 AM
ABE FROMAN

slumdog -  If fighters made the same money as boxers, they would be able to afford a camp with sparring partners and what not. Phone Post

ttt

12/20/12 12:13 AM
Dana Stern

I don't disagree with Dana, would reduce injuries most likely. There is just a ton of high level fighters that need training partners who all have fights coming up so why not train with each other. I think gyms and coaches may need to be a little smarter and a little more careful with how they run their gyms. It's a rough sport but being a bit smarter about your training will atleast get u in the cage and not the hospital. Phone Post
12/20/12 12:15 AM
Rear Naked Chode
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not everyone can make dat Anderson Silva money.
12/20/12 12:21 AM
The_Spider
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree. White MMA gyms need serious tune ups.
12/20/12 12:22 AM
UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he is referring to those higher end fighters that can afford it.   When GSP or Anderson Silva sell 1.5 million PPV buys with no real sembelence of an undercard, then they can deserve boxing money.

12/20/12 12:33 AM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Floyd only fights once a year and banks $50 million. I bet all of the mid and lower tier boxers are all sparring together just like the MMA folks.

Brock did it too, but I think he had a per diem in his contract for fight camps if I recall correctly.
12/20/12 12:44 AM
stonepony

They make a lot more than boxers do. I realizing boxing tards think everybody makes $20m a fight, but yeah, no. The average UFC fighter makes far more than the average boxer. Get your facts straight.
12/20/12 12:45 AM
Brian Rule
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see fighters make bank, and totally agreed about more money helping. He brings up GSP to make his point though – someone who could easily have his own real camp. Have to agree with that too
12/20/12 12:49 AM
mje364
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ironhouse - I'd like to see a more professional approach to title fight making.
This!
And what slumdog said. Phone Post
12/20/12 2:04 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 12/20/12 2:05 AM

sparring with shane carwin?  that has to be Greg Jacksons idea.

12/20/12 2:28 AM
vaginal tear
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They should all just train at UFC gyms. Phone Post
12/20/12 3:16 AM
TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He singled out Greg Jackson because Jackson by far has the deepest stable and his own name recognition but camps are already centered around 1 fighter. Do you think before Rory blew up at Tri Star that the entire gym didn't center around GSP? I'm sure when Champions train the gym isn't packed to the walls with the fighters training.

It also, as stated has to do with money.

Another factor is that the nature of MMA has become the "team", perhaps a rollover from BJJ or wrestling, but these teams provide in house sparring partners. MMA is so structurally diverse as a sport it's not like boxing where you can bring in some walking punching bags and beat the hell out of them, you need comparable mixed martial artists which are hard to come by at the level needed.

I agree that some more precaution should be taken when a big fights approaching but comparably how many big name boxing matches are held every year? 1/20th the amount of UFC bouts and with the inflated number brings an inflated amount of injuries.

My .02
12/20/12 3:18 AM
Dana Stern

I bet that happened out in Colorado at Trevor Whitmans Gym. Doesn't really make sense for GSP to spar with someone like Shane I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it. Im sure it would be hard for guys like GSP and Anderson to go off on their own and run their own camps. I'm sure they feel a sense of loyalty to the guys that they train with and people around the gym that are still coming up. Phone Post
12/20/12 3:36 AM
HenryO

stonepony - 

They make a lot more than boxers do. I realizing boxing tards think everybody makes $20m a fight, but yeah, no. The average UFC fighter makes far more than the average boxer. Get your facts straight.

The top level boxers are making way more though and there are way more what you could consider top boxers. A guy like Donaire just made 800k on HBO which is more then probably all but 4 or 5 MMA fighters are making a fight. Which allows him the money to set up his own camp. Cruz making 200k or whatever isnt in the same ballpark and would be a comparable champion sport to sport
12/20/12 4:34 AM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
12/20/12 5:02 AM
MMALOGIC

this is practical for main eventers but not so much anyone else... and that's ok.  main eventers need to protect themselves from injury more.

12/20/12 6:26 AM
Karl Olsson
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously though, lol at DFW telling fighters how they should do it :P
12/20/12 7:10 AM
quality

DEZBOT -  Here we go..... Phone Post

...and the difference is drinkability.
12/20/12 7:12 AM
James Foy
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Voted up, Dana put foot in mouth

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.