UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> purple belt version of the kumite dec. 29

12/20/12 3:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
elburrogrande
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is going down Dec. 29, 2012. Its not lloyd putting it together but the premise is the same. Get the best purple belts out there and have them compete no time limit, submission only. They kept it to lightweights and under which I think it's great. for more info check out: http://www.facebook.com/WANTVSNEED and http://www.facebook.com/shoyorollbrand its going to be sick!! $500 first place! scheduled to compete

Michael Liera Jr.
Edwin Najmi
Jose Fernandez
Wayne Ashford
Isaac Doederlein
Dominic Damian
Jacob Sandoval
Windon Ramos

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/521544_478014035575835_1624380204_n.jpg
12/20/12 3:39 AM
Gumby
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/20/12 8:05 AM
ChipW
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey that's cool. I really enjoy following these invitation only tournament w/ only top tier guys.
I still like regular tournaments for the masses though. Otherwise recreational guys like me would never get to compete.

But as a spectator these tournaments are great Phone Post
12/20/12 1:12 PM
RobertKipness
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all these guys from the west coast?
12/20/12 1:27 PM
temp226208
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RobertKipness - Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all these guys from the west coast?

This. But cool. It's like the 4 and 8-mans that GQ used to do.
12/20/12 2:07 PM
baby-silverback
356 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
12/20/12 2:57 PM
DavidLangsBlackBelt
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats weird, they must have lost my invite in the mail. Phone Post
12/20/12 3:10 PM
elburrogrande
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RobertKipness - Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all these guys from the west coast?

coincidence? lol in all fairness you got the 2011 rooster blue belt world champ, 2011 feather blue belt world champ, and the 2011 light weight blue belt world champ in a no time limit submission only winner takes all tournament. Did I mention Reaping is allowed?
12/20/12 5:24 PM
RobertKipness
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

elburrogrande - 

coincidence? lol in all fairness you got the 2011 rooster blue belt world champ, 2011 feather blue belt world champ, and the 2011 light weight blue belt world champ in a no time limit submission only winner takes all tournament. Did I mention Reaping is allowed?

Coincidence that more than a few are connected with Shoyoroll, the guys helping put this on?

I'm not hating on this, it's gonna be good to watch but at least Lloyd invited guys from all over to come.
12/20/12 5:57 PM
elburrogrande

I think there is always someone ready to complain. People complained about Lloyd's format as well as he got competitors from countries that lack strong jiu jitsu. I love it all man, its all for the growth of the sport. The more the sport grows the more it will benefit us all. There are a couple guys who I would have like to have seen in there like nick schultz from lloyd's or denilson from atos but other than that Im happy with the list.
12/20/12 6:17 PM
RobertKipness

Yeah I am complaining that they left some guys out but you can't please everyone. I hope they all do well and they stream it somehow.
12/20/12 7:06 PM
PTM2020
1362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone have a breakdown of these guys?  records & schools?

12/20/12 7:14 PM
Wutang
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From what I know...

Michael Liera Jr. - Atos in SD
Edwin Najmi - Gracie Barra Northridge (Romulo Barral)
Jose Fernandez - ?
Wayne Ashford - Cobrinha
Isaac Doederlein - Cobrinha
Dominic Damian - ?
Jacob Sandoval - Cobrinha
Windon Ramos - ?
12/20/12 7:28 PM
dokomoy
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winston is BTT. He footlocked two of my teammates at the fall open. I think Dominic is one of Baret Yoshidas students
12/20/12 8:13 PM
SpiderManBJJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quite a few Cobrinha guys.Might as well made this an inhouse tourney.Huge difference in some of those weights too.Jose Fernandez is a Roosterweight from Sandro Batata.All that said, my bet is for Edwin for sub only.
12/21/12 3:13 AM
Poncey
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meh, if they don't get the best from each continent like Lloyds, what's the point?! Phone Post
12/21/12 3:26 AM
elburrogrande

Michael Liera Jr.-2011 world champ,2011 pan am champ, 2011 nogi worlds silver, 2012 worlds bronze, 2012 nogi worlds champ

Edwin Najmi- 2011 pan am silver,2011 nogi pan am champ, 2012 pan am champ, 2012 pan am nogi champ

Jose Fernandez- 2011 world champ, 2012 worlds bronze

Wayne Ashford- 2011 worlds bronze, 2012 pan am champ

Isaac Doederlein- 2010 world champ,2011 worlds bronze

Dominic Damian- 2011 worlds bronze, 2012 nogi worlds silver

Jacob Sandoval-2011 world champ, 2011 pan am bronze

Windon Ramos- 2012 nogi worlds bronze (mostly competed in brazil)
12/21/12 3:28 AM
brixx139

Poncey - Meh, if they don't get the best from each continent like Lloyds, what's the point?! Phone Post
An awesome format with highly accomplished (for their level) competitor s? Honestly I dont understand the logic here sometimes. So are you only interested in watching rolls with the best players in the world? Do you even train? I learn from almost every roll I watch and im always entertained. I love the art, not the people performing it. Phone Post
12/21/12 3:29 AM
brixx139

I sincerely hope that was an attempt at sarcasm Phone Post
12/21/12 9:48 AM
bgup619
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dominic Damian is under Barret Yoshida
12/21/12 10:42 AM
BackAddict347x

brixx139 - 
Poncey - Meh, if they don't get the best from each continent like Lloyds, what's the point?! Phone Post
An awesome format with highly accomplished (for their level) competitor s? Honestly I dont understand the logic here sometimes. So are you only interested in watching rolls with the best players in the world? Do you even train? I learn from almost every roll I watch and im always entertained. I love the art, not the people performing it. Phone Post

Well Poncey has a point. The title of this thread is "Purple Belt Version Of The Kumite". Its not the Purple Belt Version of the Kumite because the Brown Belt Kumite took the worlds best brown belts from EVERYWHERE (Lloyd literally tried to pack the house with as many of the best, top level brown belts as possible). You cant just round up the guys on that list and say those are the worlds best. What about Tim Spriggs and Tye Ryan? What about Jeff Cummings? There are PLENTY of more qualified Purple Belts that could be on that list but arent on that list, and calling it some sort of Kumite isnt doing the original Kumite (or its fighters) any justice.
12/21/12 1:42 PM
brixx139

BackAddict347x -
brixx139 - 

Well Poncey has a point. The title of this thread is "Purple Belt Version Of The Kumite". Its not the Purple Belt Version of the Kumite because the Brown Belt Kumite took the worlds best brown belts from EVERYWHERE (Lloyd literally tried to pack the house with as many of the best, top level brown belts as possible). You cant just round up the guys on that list and say those are the worlds best. What about Tim Spriggs and Tye Ryan? What about Jeff Cummings? There are PLENTY of more qualified Purple Belts that could be on that list but arent on that list, and calling it some sort of Kumite isnt doing the original Kumite (or its fighters) any justice.
Kumite does not mean what you think it means Phone Post
12/21/12 1:44 PM
brixx139

Im just happy the sport is having competitions like this with high level competitors. The fact that they missed a couple guys who may be more qualified than a couple of the people competing is something pretty friken petty to be bitching about Phone Post
12/21/12 3:29 PM
elburrogrande

BackAddict347x - 
brixx139 - 

what lloyd did is great marketing and I love it but if you really want the best you get the guys who are at the podium and thats not guys from mexico, ireland, or australia. Tim spriggs is a heavyweight, tye ryan is a middle weight, and how is jeff more qualified than anyone on that list? If you want to really compare it to the kumite ask yourself this... how many competitors do you see winning the worlds from the brown belt kumite in 2013 and then ask yourself the same about this list.
12/21/12 3:30 PM
elburrogrande

brixx139 -  Im just happy the sport is having competitions like this with high level competitors. The fact that they missed a couple guys who may be more qualified than a couple of the people competing is something pretty friken petty to be bitching about Phone Post

this. voted up

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.