UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighter with Down Syndrome, would you fight him?

12/20/12 9:27 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Festus
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/20/12 9:36 AM

I can see the argument other fighters are making with it being a no win situation, but he trains and wants to compete and prove himself.  I think it's great what he's doing and can be an inspiration for others with a disabilities or for parents with kids with a disability.   I wish him nothing but the best.

Disabled MMA Fighter's Struggle To Find A Fight

Imagine devoting your life to a sport, practicing it relentlessly and thinking about it often, and then not being able to find someone who will compete against you.

That's the predicament facing 23-year-old Garrett Holeve, an MMA fighter in South Florida who has Down Syndrome. Holeve trains six days a week and dreams of becoming a professional fighter, but he's never fought in anything other than an exhibition.

And it's unclear if he ever will.

Chris Sweeney, who recently profiled Holeve for the Broward Palm Beach New Times, writes that few abled competitors want to fight Holeve because they see it as a no-win situation: either they knock out a disabled fighter or they lose to one. And there are very few, if any, other MMA fighters with mental disabilities.

For the time being, Holeve continues working out at an American Top Team training facility in Davie, Fla., where he's trained since 2010. Holeve has worked with Rodrigo "Braga" Ramos, a professional fighter who has taught Holeve the intricacies of the sport. Ramos said he never takes it easy on Holeve.

"We didn't coddle him or baby him at all. After the first day, I didn't see him as a guy with Down Syndrome,"Ramos told Sweeney. "Poor guy, my ass."

Even if Holeve does not find an opponent, the sport has provided him somewhat of a respite from the struggles of daily life. Indeed, it has even given him a new identity.

"The sport has allowed Garrett to reinvent himself — mind and body," Sweeney writes. "At the gym, he's not Garrett Holeve, the guy with Down Syndrome. He's G-Money, an up-and-coming fighter with big ambitions."

Garett's father, Mitch, along with retired UFC fighter Stephen Bonnar have started a nonprofit foundation with the goal of getting kids with special needs involved in MMA. One day, they'd like to see mixed martial arts included in the Special Olympics.

12/20/12 9:28 AM
Festus
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/20/12 9:29 AM
aka_rtotheoh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love people with downs. i have volunteered with them most of my life. i would just want to hug him. that being said, he is probably tough as nails and stronger than an ox. Phone Post
12/20/12 9:30 AM
Festus

Edited: 12/20/12 9:36 AM

put story in original post

12/20/12 10:04 AM
Ocean6

sweatygooch -  No way. Retard strength is legit. Phone Post

yep
12/20/12 10:04 AM
Ocean6

Not to mention the tard hog stories,,,, BEEP
12/20/12 10:06 AM
Neph

If only he worked on a farm for a while he'd be the next UFC champion.
12/20/12 10:09 AM
Festus

i wonder if the ufc could promote him if he did go on a winning streak and was unbeatable or would the perception be too much of a backlash?  I would think people would get behind it encourage and cheer him on

12/20/12 1:41 PM
Soup Nazi
1143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pretty cool

12/20/12 1:47 PM
ausgepicht

Wow, what a GREAT story. The guy can throw punches, kicks, and do submissions. Are they perfect? No but good enough to do damage and ultimately that's what matters. Personally, I couldn't do it....at least not treat him like an opponent with 100% heat coming at him. I'd do an exhibition match where I go at light intensity and let him win.

12/20/12 1:59 PM
Jsteven
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great to see, I wish him luck, but I would have a hard time fighting him 100%. Phone Post
12/20/12 2:05 PM
BigDave88
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great story, he could enter some grappling tourneys and kickboxing exhibitions to see how competitive he could be before being thrown to the wolves in an mma fight...

Also

Florida... Phone Post
12/20/12 2:49 PM
AnakinHelwani
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Garrett can beat Jake Shields if he can keep it standing

Sign this kid up DFW.

12/20/12 3:00 PM
halfninja
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe he should get a stripe on that white belt before he starts looking for a cage fight.
12/20/12 3:12 PM
LastRowCarl

halfninja - Maybe he should get a stripe on that white belt before he starts looking for a cage fight.
Story is from a few years back... maybe he has that stripe.. and some better leg kicks Phone Post
12/20/12 3:19 PM
Doc T
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
12/20/12 3:22 PM
LFTM
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FanToFighter - They have women in the UFC, why the hell not. Throw him to Hamill, so he can know how everyone else feels. Phone Post
Did you just compare being a women with having down syndrome? Phone Post
12/20/12 3:45 PM
Kings21
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont think I could handle the loss. I'm pretty sure I couldnt take it. I also couldnt handle all the negativity I'd get for volunteering myself to knockout a person with downs. This one step above fighting Kyle Maynard. Its a lose/lose situation for the opponent.
12/20/12 3:45 PM
Leck Brosnar

I'd be down with that
12/20/12 3:46 PM
knuckleballs

Go got 'em, G-Money! Make that dream come true, bud...
12/20/12 3:53 PM
California

I would do almost anything if the money was right. But under normal practical realistic circumstances, no I would not fight him.

12/20/12 3:54 PM
KZTT_W85
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

G-money, love it! Phone Post
12/20/12 3:56 PM
6ULDV8

sweatygooch -  No way. Retard strength is legit. Phone Post

/thread

Herpa durrrrrrrrrr 

Tongue!

12/20/12 3:58 PM
California

"Danny The Syndrome DOWNS!!!!!"

lol, that's fuct. I can totally hear Buffer rattling that off.

12/20/12 4:07 PM
AmblingAlp

Edited: 12/20/12 4:07 PM
Yeah, it's a fair comparison.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.