UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dana White: Next TUF House Is Terrified Of One Guy

12/20/12 11:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

written by Dave Doyle at mmafighting.com

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/12/20/3787432/dana-white-next-tuf-house-is-terrified-of-one-guy

BURBANK, Calif. -- Dana White knows the drill by now. He's promised the greatest, most amazing season in the history of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) so often that such talk runs the risk of going in one ear and out the other.

But the UFC president couldn't resist making the pitch again Wednesday during a media luncheon. With the 17th season of the company's flagship reality show set to kick off with coaches Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen on Tuesday, Jan. 22 on FX, well ... we'll let White take it from here:

"I know you guys are going to call bulls--- on me and all that," he said. "I told you guys, last season of The Ultimate Fighter was the worst season in the history of TUF. This next season is so awesome and so badass. We have a guy on this season of The Ultimate Fighter, every fight he's in, someone goes to the hospital."

If that's not enough to convince you to check out this nameless fighter who gives all his foes free ambulance rides, here's more:

"The whole house is terrified of this guy," White said. "F-- terrified. Everybody. I picked this fight, and this guy is lined up with the guy I'm telling you about, and the guy has a nervous breakdown in the house over the weekend. Has a f-- nervous breakdown. Freaks out and has a nervous breakdown. This guy scared the living s--- out of everyone. It's awesome."

White was equally exuberant about TUF's move from Friday nights to Tuesday.

"Fridays suck," White said. "I think it's the worst night on TV. It's supposed to be the second-worst night on TV. Saturday's supposed to be the worst. But, for instance, The Ultimate Fighter F inale on Friday, the one from Australia, did a million [viewers]. Saturday did 1.3 million. The male 18-34 demos were off the charts on Saturday night. I honestly think Friday night is the worst night on TV. ... You have people getting off work. No one gets off work on Friday and runs home and watches TV. You get off work on Friday, you're going out, no one's watching TV.

"Everyone has that Saturday where you're laying around and you'll watch TV on Saturday night or whatever," White continued. "Friday's the worst night for television. It's all older people watching TV on Saturdays. That's where there's all these myths when we do these things on Saturday, [people say] ‘Murder She Wrote' beat you on Saturday.' Of course they did. That's all the old people at home watching people on TV. Saturday night. That's why they beat us. But the male viewers in our demos are off the charts, number one."

But one entity's definition of success in a demo isn't necessarily the same as another's. White says he appreciates his television partner's willingness to switch TUF's run night.

"Everyone was taking about the death of TUF on Friday nights," White said. "Not for FX it wasn't. For us it was. It was terrible for us. But for them, they were top three all season in males 18-34 on a night when they'd be running a movie that would be hit or miss for them in different demos. So, believe me, they wanted to keep us on Fridays. They made me a promise that if the thing didn't pick up and the numbers didn't pick up, they'd move it. They stuck by their word. But the numbers on Fridays, they wanted us to stay there."

So, to go through our TUF checklist: Greatest season ever: Check. New fighter who will blow your mind: Check. New, more favorable timeslot: Check. What's left? How about something about the coaches?

"The chemistry between those two is actually really weird," said White. "It starts off bad, gets a little better, then it gets weird again. You know, Chael likes to play the bad guy."
12/20/12 12:09 PM
Tat2tillidie
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crossfire - Anyone knows who he's talking about ? Phone Post
Got me wondering Phone Post
12/20/12 12:09 PM
SupesUp
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well... He got my attention at least. Tuesday night is the biggest thing though Phone Post
12/20/12 12:13 PM
Chris27

So since he says he picked the fight I guess that means this doesnt happen until atleast the second round.
12/20/12 12:14 PM
Chris27

Glovegate - 
Tat2tillidie - 

Dana shakes the red cloth and TUF hobbles on for another crap season.

Have you seen it? How do you know its another crap season?

Everyone said that after TUF 11 12 13 but dana said TUF 14 was great and it absolutely was. Last two werent great, last season was the worst but that doesnt mean this season wont be good.
12/20/12 12:15 PM
Tad Ghostal
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So there's one guy that might actually be good?
12/20/12 12:16 PM
robopimp
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does time slot even matter that much anymore? I just DVR everything anyway. Phone Post
12/20/12 12:17 PM
TheCrow13
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope it's who I think it is Phone Post
12/20/12 12:17 PM
Kostakio
492 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the heads up, Dana. I will tune in as always. I'm not being facetious either. TUF can't return soon enough. 

12/20/12 12:22 PM
E55 Pilot

Tank Abbot.
12/20/12 12:22 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

robopimp - Does time slot even matter that much anymore? I just DVR everything anyway. Phone Post
Was wondering this too. I rarely watch anything live. DVR it so I can skip the commercials. My little fuck u to the man. Phone Post
12/20/12 12:23 PM
Steve4192
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/20/12 12:26 PM
I told you guys, last season of The Ultimate Fighter was the worst season in the history of TUF.

LOL

I certainly don't recall that.  I would love to see someone show me a quote where Dana says TUF 16 was going to suck BEFORE the season.  Sure, he says it now after it has already aired, but before the season it was the same old bullshit of 'best season ever', 'great fights', and 'tons of talent'.

12/20/12 12:31 PM
DWray
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope the guy turns out to be the real deal.

Phillipe Nover had a TON of TUF-hype as well, and fizzled during/after the Finale.

Dana was comparing him to GSP and Anderson at the time, and watching his TUF fights, I think everyone was pretty stoked at Nover's potential.

12/20/12 12:31 PM
Burt Reynoldz
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tad Ghostal - So there's one guy that might actually be good?

That's what it sounds like.  I legit badass and 15 cans.  Isn't this kind of a spoiler though.  Basically when we watch the fights to get into the house we'll know one of the guys who make's it to the finale.  

12/20/12 12:35 PM
Chris27

Steve4192 - 
I told you guys, last season of The Ultimate Fighter was the worst season in the history of TUF.

LOL

I certainly don't recall that.  I would love to see someone show me a quote where Dana says TUF 16 was going to suck BEFORE the season.  Sure, he says it now after it has already aired, but before the season it was the same old bullshit of 'best season ever', 'great fights', and 'tons of talent'.

Of course he aint gonna say that before, thats basically saying dont watch but i dont recall him saying it was a great season or the best like he has done in past seasons.
charms434
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 -
Glovegate - 
Tat2tillidie - 

Everyone said that after TUF 11 12 13 but dana said TUF 14 was great and it absolutely was. Last two werent great, last season was the worst but that doesnt mean this season wont be good.
TUF has sucked since like... Season 5. 10 was good. But 14. I don't have any idea what season that was. Lol Phone Post
Steve4192
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DWray - Hope the guy turns out to be the real deal.

Phillipe Nover had a TON of TUF-hype as well, and fizzled during/after the Finale.

Dana was comparing him to GSP and Anderson at the time, and watching his TUF fights, I think everyone was pretty stoked at Nover's potential.

Nover was the guy who immediately leaped to my mind as well.

Dana was calling him the next Anderson Silva.  Then he not only failed to win TUF, he went 0-3 in the UFC and got bounced.

12/20/12 12:40 PM
Chris27

charms434 - 
Chris27 -
Glovegate - 
Tat2tillidie - 

TUF has sucked since like... Season 5. 10 was good. But 14. I don't have any idea what season that was. Lol Phone Post

TUF 8 was good, 10, 14 was the FW/BW season with Bisping/Miller, the last season on Spike.

12/20/12 12:40 PM
siouxNYC
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uriah Hall. i know for a fact that he once broke the leg of a dude on his own team when they were sparring.

(actually, he did it just by checking a leg-kick, so maybe it's not that impressive.)
12/20/12 12:41 PM
TheCrow13
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone got a cast list yet? Phone Post
12/20/12 12:42 PM
Chris27

Steve4192 - 
DWray - Hope the guy turns out to be the real deal.

Nover was the guy who immediately leaped to my mind as well.

Dana was calling him the next Anderson Silva.  Then he not only failed to win TUF, he went 0-3 in the UFC and got bounced.

Yeah that was funny, Nover was the second coming of GSP/Silva, a hybrid monster nurse who would beat everyone.

And this guy on this season doesnt even sound like a great fight just some scary dude who has everyone shook. It should be entertaining but it doesnt mean this guy is a great fighter. Who knows if he is even in the finals, probably not.
12/20/12 12:42 PM
Old noob
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Burt Reynoldz - 
Tad Ghostal - So there's one guy that might actually be good?

That's what it sounds like.  I legit badass and 15 cans.  Isn't this kind of a spoiler though.  Basically when we watch the fights to get into the house we'll know one of the guys who make's it to the finale.  

Spoiler? Maybe. Didn't say the guy wins all his fights. You can send someone to the hospital and still lose.
12/20/12 12:43 PM
MMALOGIC

the tuf 16 finale last week pulled 1.3 million viewers...  the last tuf finale on spike pulled 2.5 million viewers and peaked at 3.5 million beating UFC on fox 3 and ufc on fox 4.

there better be a killer in the house... zuffa needs to get back to the basic cable numbers they were pulling on spike otherwise every fighter is gonna be forced to go through a chael sonnen communications bootcamp to get a fight.

12/20/12 12:49 PM
rampageforpresident

Does the scary guy get beat in his second or 3rd fight??
12/20/12 12:49 PM
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Eddie Alvarez has been sneaking into the TUF house wearing a mask and beating people up or something, becoming a sort of living nightmare for these guys.

That's what the TUF house needs - an actual monster, or some sort of supernatural threat.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.