UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Grapplers Quest cancels all 2013 tournaments!

12/20/12 2:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
k1levelstriking
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://bestofbjj.com/content/2012/12/19/grapplers-quest-cancels-all-events-for-2013/

Big blow to the sport :( Phone Post
12/20/12 2:44 PM
Rival School
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love is a cold dog from hell Phone Post
12/20/12 2:51 PM
CJJScout
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmmm....
12/20/12 2:51 PM
Twelve Gage
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fightlogs.com, Owner

Sad to hear.  I hope they come back.

12/20/12 2:55 PM
DavidLangsBlackBelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there really no one that could run it in this guys absence? Phone Post
12/20/12 2:55 PM
k1levelstriking
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could someone else not have taken over and ran the tournaments? Phone Post
12/20/12 3:00 PM
BradGluckman
608 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

k1levelstriking -  Could someone else not have taken over and ran the tournaments? Phone Post

This ^^^ more to the story obviously

12/20/12 4:00 PM
shen
767 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/20/12 4:06 PM

I heard from an inside source that it's really over a rules dispute...

Basically guys were coming into the Advanced divisions knowing just one move, ("The Lugnut" as taught by James Paredes), and they were winning. So the "traditional" grapplers all panicked and stopped competing.

Soon as they find a way to ban the move, people will start competing again.

12/20/12 5:14 PM
RobertKipness
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought his wife helped him run it and I thought I saw her and his daughter at most of the events.

Hope it's nothing too bad.
12/20/12 6:00 PM
Trust
655 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the "lug nut?"  

12/20/12 7:26 PM
paganist
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You don't know the "lug nut" as you put it.
Do you even trane bro? Phone Post
12/20/12 7:27 PM
Setree
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trust - 

What is the "lug nut?"  

It's a twisting armlock, very similar in nature to a heal hook. Very nasty and difficult to tap to, given the nature of the technique.
12/20/12 8:15 PM
Trust
655 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw the vid where the guy who is mounted (bottom) is trying to do cross collar choke to the guy on top of him - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMCwtyDjbd0.  

That hardly seems like a situation that would come up in the advanced division where the guy on bottom is trying that choke, and if the guy on top only knows that move, how would they be getting mount on genuine advanced gapplers?  

Are you pulling my leg? Sorry, I haven't around here much lately, lol

12/20/12 8:24 PM
Synado
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - 

I heard from an inside source that it's really over a rules dispute...

Basically guys were coming into the Advanced divisions knowing just one move, ("The Lugnut" as taught by James Paredes), and they were winning. So the "traditional" grapplers all panicked and stopped competing.

Soon as they find a way to ban the move, people will start competing again.

The lugnut in a Grapplers Quest is why my first instructor will never be able to use his arms again.
12/20/12 8:25 PM
JackShrimp

Edited: 12/20/12 8:30 PM
The problem with the lugnut is twofold. First is that it's so easy to put on when someone pulls guard. Second is that the only real defense exposes you to the lugnut on the other side. So the match basically goes lugnut to the left, lugnut to the right, then left again and so on until the guy is finally lugnutted. Takes the real BJJ out of the match and turns it into square dancing IMO.
12/20/12 9:56 PM
The Diet Butcher
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a lugnut pulled on me in class. Now I eat all food through a straw.
12/20/12 9:56 PM
The Diet Butcher
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ and I just typed this with my nose
12/21/12 12:04 AM
ogjune

The lug nut is yet another reason why BJJ will never be in the Olympics. It is just another example of how our sport is moving backwards. recently, i saw two white belts on their knees trying to lug nut each other both scared to pull guard. Pathetic.
12/21/12 3:12 AM
Poncey
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But with the heal hook, your body can repair it self after the initial injury.

With the lugnut you'll no longer be able to do the dance routine to YMCA at The Blue Oyster.

:( Phone Post
12/21/12 3:31 AM
brixx139

Im literally LOLing. Never laughed so hard from an atama bjj thread. Touché guys. Phone Post
12/21/12 6:49 AM
jackandcoke02
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had a newbie show up last night and try the lugnut on me, now I'm in a body cast
12/21/12 6:58 AM
PTM2020
1004 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

been tapping out alot of black belts with that lugnut move.  only saw it that one time on youtube.  i don't see what the big deal is though, you can do it slow  and they will be able to verbally tap.  just apply it very slowly.

12/21/12 7:14 AM
joshjitsu

Probably a troll

Unlike the vicious lugnut
12/21/12 8:25 AM
allchokedup
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i perfected the lugnut in one class.
all i had to remeber was righty tighty, lefty loosey
12/21/12 8:43 AM
JackShrimp

PTM2020 - 

been tapping out alot of black belts with that lugnut move.  only saw it that one time on youtube.  i don't see what the big deal is though, you can do it slow  and they will be able to verbally tap.  just apply it very slowly.

This is exactly the problem. All these people spent years learning thousands of techniques when they could have just done a couple of months of lugnut training.

The old school grapplers are all in denial. It's like that karate guy in the black kimono on the old Gracie challenge tape who didn't believe he'd lost so he asked for a re do and got beat up again.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.