UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rousey: Olympians in this country are useless

12/20/12 5:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AshDoherty
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quote:
"The UFC and MMA stuff is so much more pure compared to all that to me, no one is going to change the rules of MMA because they prefer European style over Japanese style. It's never going to be like that. It will be as close to a real fight as possible and whoever wins, wins."

"The Olympians in our country are pretty much useless, you spend your whole life trying to get this medal and you don't do it to make money, you do it for your country, for your pride, for your family, and there's nothing set in place for what happens afterwards. They used to have a program where I'd work at Home Depot 20 hours a week and they'd pay me full-time, that was the only Olympic job program I have. There's nothing afterwards. There's no scholarship program, there's no job placement, after you won an Olympic medal and you've spent $100,000, you get 10 grand, which they tax you on. You get 10K for a bronze, 15K for silver, 25K for gold, which you get taxed on, and a handshake. I couldn't even buy a 2005 used Honda Accord LX with that."

Read more...

12/20/12 5:32 PM
nowaydo
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

true
12/20/12 5:37 PM
clattymine
453 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're not in it for the money, yet you complain about the money ... Also, the work at home depot sounds a lot like a scholarship program.

I understand what she's trying to say, but she's kind of all over the place on this one.

12/20/12 5:38 PM
BENDOver 209 Top Team #1
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

she's an annoying bird.. I wish they'd stop asking her to flap her stupid wings aka lips

12/20/12 5:46 PM
dangerboy12
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rousey knows she can't beat the gold medalists she lost to in Judo. Or MMA.

Rousey vs. Ueno or Decosse. Zuffa make it happen.
12/20/12 5:51 PM
Looky
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was going to post "in before the Honda hate," but alas, I'm too late.

12/20/12 5:52 PM
Barbalos

So it's not enough to talk shit about every other woman MMA fighter who mentions her, now she is talking shit on an Olympic medal. Classy.
12/20/12 5:57 PM
seek

"no one is going to change the rules of MMA because they prefer European over Japanese It's never going to be like that."

Soccer kicks and stomps?
12/20/12 5:58 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
546 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This definitely makes me want to watch her next fight Phone Post
12/20/12 5:59 PM
Clarence Parents
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

clattymine - 

You're not in it for the money, yet you complain about the money ... Also, the work at home depot sounds a lot like a scholarship program.

I understand what she's trying to say, but she's kind of all over the place on this one.

I felt like the part about Ronda saying that it is not about the money reflected more on the fact that there is no worthwhile money to be made to there to begin with. Or the money you do make simply pays off a portion of what you invested to get there.

Not so much her not caring about money when I read it..
12/20/12 6:00 PM
BooZe

IMO if she was a gold medal winner these bitter words would not have been spoken
12/20/12 6:07 PM
knuckleballs

She can talk shit about the Olympics; she walked the walk, she can talk the talk.
12/20/12 6:12 PM
Barbalos

knuckleballs - She can talk shit about the Olympics; she walked the walk, she can talk the talk.

You know how many people drive hard trying to get to where she got and would give everything for it? For her to just shit all over the whole organization, yeah she can do it, but is it the right thing to do?
12/20/12 6:14 PM
dangerboy12
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, but what she says is just dumb.

The Olympics are designed to not be about the money. No American goes into the Olympics for the money, or at least they shouldn't. That's not what it's about.

Second, UFC has changed the rules, and they'll be quick to do it again if they think it's better for business.
12/20/12 6:16 PM
Clarence Parents
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I invested 100k to train and represent my country.. only to get at best a 25k return with no support system.. I'd be a bit jaded myself.

I'd imagine if it works exactly as Ronda says it does.. she can't be the only one who feels that way.
12/20/12 6:17 PM
TheHaunted2

So so bored of this woman Phone Post
12/20/12 6:18 PM
dangerboy12

yeah but people know this before the start going after the olympic dream. Believe it or not, some people do love their sport and just want to be the best, money isn't important.
12/20/12 6:19 PM
Clarence Parents

dangerboy12 - yeah, but what she says is just dumb.

The Olympics are designed to not be about the money. No American goes into the Olympics for the money, or at least they shouldn't. That's not what it's about.

Second, UFC has changed the rules, and they'll be quick to do it again if they think it's better for business.

Competing for the pride and prestige of your country and being a representative on this epic stage is an honorable notion.

That does not change the fact that in the real world you still need money to survive, train, travel no matter how noble it is what you are trying to do.
12/20/12 6:20 PM
hubris
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

she is the UFC champ
12/20/12 6:24 PM
Tolstolobic

Looky - I was going to post "in before the Honda hate," but alas, I'm too late.

Sry bro Phone Post
12/20/12 6:26 PM
Clarence Parents

RobinHood -  I believe US Olympic wrestling would have funded her travels, hotels to games around the world, allowing her to compete with the worlds finest wrestlers. Training camps, coaches, nutritionists, sports therapists etc etc.

In reality US Olympics had an important hand in Hondas success to date. Phone Post

No question about that.

I just don't think that if you're truly an Olympic caliber athlete in your profession of choice that there should be this monumental risk of your own livelihood just to be a part of the Olympics.

It should be encouraging to these top level athletes to be a part of the Olympics, this sounds more like a deterrent to me.
12/20/12 6:31 PM
WidespreadPanic

It's about -money- (or not)? Seriously? $100k in vs $25k out, and maybe no sponsors for a fairly small team in a less popular sport, is the US -neglecting- their Oly athletes.

What, only rich people can get their kid an Olympic dream? These kids give up all other endeavors to focus it all on one thing. They need at least a silver parachute.

12/20/12 6:44 PM
Clarence Parents

bmd - The Olympics were supposed to be about amateur athletics. About representing your country. It isn't meant to be a huge pay day. And maybe Ronda did invest a hundred thousand dollars in her hobby, but she was doing Judo for fun way before taking it seriously.

She didn't spend that money with the hope her investment would pay off in the end. She did it because she liked it.

Like I said, the Olympics is simply a huge amateur tournament. It isn't meant to be a career path in and of itself.

She knew all of this going in.

What I'm saying is.. be that as it may, it's a shitty system for encouraging the best of the best to represent the dominance and superiority of their country.

It's similar in some ways to being "paid with exposure" in show business.

The Olympics and all of their advertising partners make serious money from the sacrifices of these athletes and once you've served your purpose.. it seems that for all they care you might as well go on welfare until you land a cushy Burger King job.
12/20/12 6:47 PM
Unseen
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bmd - The Olympics were supposed to be about amateur athletics. About representing your country. It isn't meant to be a huge pay day. And maybe Ronda did invest a hundred thousand dollars in her hobby, but she was doing Judo for fun way before taking it seriously.

She didn't spend that money with the hope her investment would pay off in the end. She did it because she liked it.

Like I said, the Olympics is simply a huge amateur tournament. It isn't meant to be a career path in and of itself.

She knew all of this going in.
I didn't read it as her hating on the Olympics. What I got from it was her stating the reality of what it means to be an Olympian in the U.S.

I'm sure there is some bitterness there especially when put into context with her earlier statements about Phelps who has made millions. However she is just drawing a comparison to how much workout takes to be in the Olympics and how much you get out of it and contrasting that with MMA. Phone Post
12/20/12 6:50 PM
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im still lost, are we really going to see girls fight in the UFC? Will anyone actually watch that shit?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.